Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: EARLYBIRD the band: Leadon, Meisner & Felder

Default Re: EARLYBIRD the band: Leadon, Meisner & Felder

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That surprises me to hear Don F. say that Bernie wasn't playing very much anymore. Of course, because Bernie went on to be a featured guest of the HOTE tour and did a fine job, but I mean also doesn't he just seem like the type of musician who's always playing, who always has a guitar or banjo in his hands? Things can happen though. Perhaps he became disillusioned or disappointed.
    He might play every day in private, but I think Felder means he lost interest in being a professional musician. Even when he was a recognizable name in the 70s, he only put out a joint effort LP and didn't tour behind it. Later efforts were sporadic. Why? One can only speculate.

Bernie did release an album in 2004 called Mirror, his first completely solo effort, but he didn't tour for it outside of a few special promotional appearances. His jaunt with the Eagles was a thrilling surprise; I think it took something of that epic scale to get him out in the public eye again. Thank goodness he said yes!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

I was hoping that the couple of years Bernie spent on the road with the Eagles would motivate him to reignite his solo career in some form. I suppose it's still early days yet and I'm presuming that he has new music to share with us after the decade or so since Mirror.

Like Felder, I don't think Bernie has the charisma to be a major solo artist and his past record shows that he doesn't stick around in bands for much more than a couple of years.

Some kind of Eagles project, still looks a good option for the future.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I was hoping that the couple of years Bernie spent on the road with the Eagles would motivate him to reignite his solo career in some form. I suppose it's still early days yet and I'm presuming that he has new music to share with us after the decade or so since Mirror.

Like Felder, I don't think Bernie has the charisma to be a major solo artist and his past record shows that he doesn't stick around in bands for much more than a couple of years.

Some kind of Eagles project, still looks a good option for the future.
    Bernie may well work with other former Eagles in the future. But it won't be an 'Eagles' project.

Stuck on the Border

Didn't Bernie tour as a backing musician for Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris in 1999?
    They recorded an album, produced by Glyn Johns and Bernie is credited for 9 (!) different instruments:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wester...ucson_Sessions

ETA: Yes, Bernie was on that tour, as was Ethan Johns (son of Glyn) and Greg Leisz.

That's right, and I even have a live DVD of that. How embarrassing that I forgot it!

Still, no leads from him.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

From Poco's 1990 Japan tour...

According to thegearpage.net, Bernie was a "special guest" for the encore. Imagine if Don F had joined him...
    Last edited by Delilah; 08-12-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Domo arigato, Delilah-san!

You're welcome! If Felder had been there, it would have meant a lot of country rock musical history on that stage. But I don't think "Earlypocobird" sounds quite right.

Cool Re: EARLYBIRD the band: Leadon, Meisner & Felder

Quote Originally Posted by GettheLeadonOut!! View Post
    Just imagine the setlist of Bernie, Randy & Fingers

--

I Wish You Peace

---

Do you think Irving Azoff would promote!!!.
    First of all, I think your idea is great, regardless of what they call it. It kind of reminds me of Chickenfoot with Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony formerly of Van Halen, along with Joe Satriani & Chad Smith.

To get things started, it would be great if Felder were to invite Leadon & Meisner to join him on his tour with Styx to get the ball rolling, and see if they all enjoyed it. (This presumes of course Randy is up to it).
    Heck if the Eagles are really done, invite Schmit & Walsh along as well as special guests.
    Having Leadon, Felder & Walsh all on stage playing guitar together would be worth the price of admission.
    Ditto for having the great vioces of Meisner and Schmit together as well.

---

I have always felt "I Wish You Peace" was an underrated song.

Now I know according to Henley it was "not up to band standards", and they supposedly threw Bernie a bone to keep him happy.
    The heck with that, it stands on it's own.

I suspect ( though I cannot know for certain), part of the issue was because it involved Patti Davis.
    I know the mods here do not like discussion of politics, but the Eagles in the form or mainly Frey & especially Henley, allowed their personal politics to dictate a lot of decisions.
    Had it not been for that fund raiser for ultra leftist Alan Cranston, maybe the band wouldn't have blown up the way it did. Or at least not as soon.

---

As to Azoff, why would they want that little gnome to be involved?
    I am not sure about how Leadon feels about him, but I know Felder & Meisner feel he torpedoed them in their solo careers, and looked out only for the interests of Frey/Henley above all else.

This potential group you propose would do well.

So get right on it!
    `

Banned

Despite having chart success right from the off, the Eagles didn't hit the big time until that "little gnome" became their manager. I'd probably have preferred them to continue knocking out great music every 12 months without making much money but I'm sure the band appreciated the opportunity to take much more time to make their records, while being richly rewarded for their efforts. They've all benefited from Irving's attributes in his role as manager of the Eagles.

It'd be a fine project to put a band together to focus on the pre-Joe era of the Eagles. Tim Schmit and probably Steuart Smith would also be a great fit for that band but they've all expressed a liking to Rock A Little (to quote a S Nicks title). Bring in Walsh and Vitale and you're a great lead singer short of a tasty, versatile, rock band..... and so much better than teaming up with Tom Petty or Styx.

I wonder if Joe and Tim fancy teaming up with Ringo again, 25 years since the last time.
    The way Felder talks about his backing band, I'm not sure if he'd want to go on tour with people he doesn't want to hang out with. I can't remember if he enjoyed touring with the Eagles or not.