Happy Birthday, Building The Perfect Beast!

I've loved reading the reviews. My favourite songs on this album are Boys of Summer and Not Enough Love In The World, closely followed by Sunset Grill, A Month Of Sundays and You're Not Drinking Enough. I also like You Can't Make Love. The others I can take or leave.

Building The Perfect Beast definitely sounds very '80s now, but to have Boys Of Summer, Sunset Grill and Not Enough Love on one album is pretty impressive. I just love Don's voice on Not Enough Love In The World. It's so sweet, and I adore the whole vibe of the song. I love the lyrics already quoted by Dreamer and Soda, but this part always stands out to me, too: "Sometimes it's so hard to smile, for the world, for the camera, and still have something left..." It's very Don! The lines that follow are probably my favourites in the song. "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody - just take good care of yourself." It also has some great bits in it - like the "oh darlin'" part, and the verse that begins "I'm not easy to live with..." (Can you tell I love it?)

Overall, I'd say this is a great album, with some real high points - songs that have become embedded in Don/Eagles history. Some songs are a little too '80s in sound for me, and will never be anything more than fillerish album tracks... but there's none that I actively dislike. I just think Don was experimenting and going with the 'scene' with some songs, and to me, it's not entirely 'him'. Songs like Boys of Summer, Sunset Grill and Not Enough Love, however, still manage to be funky and 'of their time', whilst being true Henley, and showcasing his poetic lyrical abilities and sharp political/societal observations. That's enough for me to love this album.