Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Building the Perfect Beast"

Default Re: Celebration of "Building the Perfect Beast"

Late for this but anyway,

Happy 34th Anniversary, Building the Perfect Beast!

It’s not my favorite Henley album but it’s a great one nevertheless. And I just found a good deal on a West German target cd which should arrive next week. Great timing with its Anniversary.

This is from a 1984 review that was re-published in 2009. It provides an interesting glimpse into Don’s perspective at the time as well as his fairly low profile. Also an insightful comment about “Sunset Grill” -

“Sunset Grill,” though is the album’s masterpiece. It’s one of those recordings that, like Hendrix’s “Purple Haze” or Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” captures the spirit of the times so perfectly that it resonates with it and becomes one with what it’s trying to describe. Among other things, “Sunset Grill” is about “The worth ethic in America today and how everybody seems to want the most possible money in the quickest amount of time with the least possible effort.” It’s also about the spreading “franchise” mentality, which is creating a non-thinking automaton class of individuals who needn’t create or take responsibility.

Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content...FPxUToeEj7g.99
    https://www.analogplanet.com/content...sunset-grill-0

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I still can't believe Lindsey sang and played on this album.
    I wonder how that came about. Obviously Lindsey didn't hold a grudge about the whole Stevie thing anymore lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah
    “Sunset Grill,” though is the album’s masterpiece. It’s one of those recordings that, like Hendrix’s “Purple Haze” or Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” captures the spirit of the times so perfectly that it resonates with it and becomes one with what it’s trying to describe. Among other things, “Sunset Grill” is about “The worth ethic in America today and how everybody seems to want the most possible money in the quickest amount of time with the least possible effort.” It’s also about the spreading “franchise” mentality, which is creating a non-thinking automaton class of individuals who needn’t create or take responsibility."

Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content...FPxUToeEj7g.99

I see the "how can I get a passing grade with the least possible effort" mentality in a lot of my students, sadly, as finals week approaches!

As for the franchise aspect, I can see the sadness about the loss of local stores, but I honestly don't clearly see the connection between franchising, which is more about that loss of individual local identity to a faceless corporate mentality, and the idea of not taking responsibility for one's actions.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - I can't agree with that analysis of Sunset Grill and while I do think it's a really good song, the album's 'masterpiece' is The Boys of Summer, IMHO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy 35th Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast album. One of my favorites. A lot of songs have grown me now.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Happy birthday to my fave Don Henley album! The first one I owned!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST!

Not my favorite of Don's solo albums by far. I think this is one of the most uneven albums I've ever listened to - There is the magnificent masterpiece 'The Boys of Summer', as well as other great songs like 'All She Wants To Do is Dance' and 'Sunset Grill'. On the other end of the spectrum are probably some of the worst songs Don ever recorded like 'Building the Perfect Beast', 'Man with a Mission' , and 'Land of the Living'. Go figure!

The bottom line is I'm a huge fan of half of this album. I think it should have been named Building the Perfect Bi-Polar Beast.

Happy belated anniversary to Building the Perfect Beast! I agree it's an uneven album...I love The Boys of Summer, but there is a lot of filler, and the title song is atrocious (imo).

I was reading through old posts and I had no idea Lindsey Buckingham played on this album!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I think this is one of the most uneven albums I've ever listened to - There is the magnificent masterpiece 'The Boys of Summer', as well as other great songs like 'All She Wants To Do is Dance' and 'Sunset Grill'. On the other end of the spectrum are probably some of the worst songs Don ever recorded like 'Building the Perfect Beast', 'Man with a Mission' , and 'Land of the Living'. Go figure!

Here's the thing about "Man with a Mission." It is probably Don's most shallow song. The vocal sounds a bit rough around the edges. But dang, it is CATCHY. It is fun to listen to. That beat starts hard and fast, and doesn't it let up until the end.

Just lighten up and rock along with the beat - bop your head, tap your foot - and who knows, maybe you'll enjoy it! 'Cause I do.

Well-a-well-a-well-a-well-a...

Happy Belated 34th Anniversary of Don winning Best Rock Vocal Performance at the Grammys for The Boys Of Summer.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Yep - Gotta give The Boys of Summer some kudos. Don definitely deserved the grammy for this amazing song. It should have also won song of the year and record of the year, IMHO.