Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Honestly, a lot of Joe's answers kind of piss me off. Stevie gushes about him and calls him one of her great loves, but he obviously never loved her. Stern asked him TWICE about it and the most he could manage was "Like a sister." He does throw out the word "soulmate" but it must mean something different to him than it does to others, because he goes on to basically characterize their relationship as a brief road fling. Meanwhile, in reality, it actually went on for two years (you'd never guess that from this interview). And he was only monogamous for one summer, and is proud he held out THAT long... Well. Lovely.

I guess he's just being real about his feelings, but still, it's tacky how he went about it. I feel sorry for Stevie. She needs to stop talking about Joe. Again, if what he says is true, even when they were together, he didn't love her. That's just humiliating, considering what she's said about him. BOO Joe. BOO.

Maybe he thought it would be too disrespectful to his wife to comment now about what happened 30+ years ago with a girlfriend.
    Maybe he felt it wasn't Howard's or anyone's business.
    I don't think he meant to purposely or publicly malign Stevie, but he's a big boy and he knows Howard's "schtick". Perhaps it would have been wiser to shut Stern down or go the "no comment" route.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Honestly, a lot of Joe's answers kind of piss me off. Stevie gushes about him and calls him one of her great loves, but he obviously never loved her. Stern asked him TWICE about it and the most he could manage was "Like a sister." He does throw out the word "soulmate" but it must mean something different to him than it does to others, because he goes on to basically characterize their relationship as a brief road fling. Meanwhile, in reality, it actually went on for two years (you'd never guess that from this interview). And he was only monogamous for one summer, and is proud he held out THAT long... Well. Lovely.

I guess he's just being real about his feelings, but still, it's tacky how he went about it. I feel sorry for Stevie. She needs to stop talking about Joe. Again, if what he says is true, even when they were together, he didn't love her. That's just humiliating, considering what she's said about him. BOO Joe. BOO.

You're blasting Joe over this interview? Really? To not gush over a fling with Stevie when he's been talking non-stop about his wonderful new marriage, I find it at least understandable, in trying to gracefully dodge a Stern "hand grenade". And two rock n roll artists in a short cocaine-fueled fling in the 70's? Not exactly unique, if stories are true. I know you love Stevie, I do too. But come on. If they're in different places looking back after 30 years, don't think they're the only ones in that situation. actually I think his silence and short answers speak louder than the words he chooses. Maybe it cut close and he didn't want to dish...none of us knows, but i don't think he'd choose Stern's show to reveal his life's closest feelings.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey
    Maybe he thought it would be too disrespectful to his wife to comment now about what happened 30+ years ago with a girlfriend.
    Maybe he felt it wasn't Howard's or anyone's business.
    I don't think he meant to purposely or publicly malign Stevie, but he's a big boy and he knows Howard's "schtick". Perhaps it would have been wiser to shut Stern down or go the "no comment" route.
    But he DID comment about Stevie, and he did so in a way that was lame. JMHO.

ETA: I didn't see Deb's post before, so let me add:

Quote Originally Posted by jdubfan
    two rock n roll artists in a short cocaine-fueled fling in the 70's? Not exactly unique, if stories are true.
    And THIS is what pisses me off about his interview. Joe's comments lead you to conclude that Stevie was nothing more than a "short cocaine-fueled fling" to him. It's contemptible for him to represent their relationship in such a demeaning fashion after she's spoken about how much meaning it has for her.

BTW I don't know what "stories" you're referring to, but they weren't even together until he opened for her in 1983. They remained together for over two years - together enough for her to help with The Confessor in 1985. Sure doesn't sound like a "short cocaine-fueled fling" to me... but Joe talks like it was, leads you to believe it was. THAT is tacky.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

How many of us have heard that Stevie wrote that song for Joe after his daughter died???? THAT was a painful time in his life with or without the vices! Howard Stern is a sensationalist jerk -- in my opinion -- and I think Joe handled it as well as he could, being put on the spot like that! Besides, Joe and Stevie are ancient history and I think it was really callous of Stern to call Joe out on it without possibly having all the facts. Just my opinion.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

I'm not gonna bash Joe. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe Stern forced it out of him.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

While reading it, my first thought was that the timing didn't jive with what we've all heard. It was a hell of a lot longer than one summer/season.

I also believe that he was trying to be respectful to Marjorie, but at the cost of being disrespectful to Stevie. I kept thinking, "I hope Stevie isn't listening to this interview". I'm sorry, but if Marjorie doesn't know the truth by now, then she's living with blinders on. Joe should of been honest and a bit more respectful to Stevie. That being said, Howard Stern is the biggest ASS there is in radio (next to Rush, of course) and he should've left it alone. That's not to say I wasn't glad he asked because I want to hear it from Joe's mouth also but seems that wasn't meant to be.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I really kind of felt for Joe here, but I do think he should have just not commented on it. Howard pressed him and it seemed he was very reluctant to reply. I think he was worried about what Marjorie would think also. I also felt for Stevie. He really should have just not said anything.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

To be fair, this interview was about 53 minutes. Though it seems like a lot of talk about Stevie, in terms of the interview... it was only a few minutes. Stern & Joe know each other for a very long time & I think Joe knew what to expect. Stern did try to push the envelope about the relationship with Stevie, but I think Joe was trying to avoid some of these questions because Marjorie was there. I mean she was in the room. I do believe that maybe Stevie had a lot stronger feelings for Joe than he had for her & he was trying to be as discreet as possible, but the relationship was during a tour they did together, & fueled on cocaine! Even though he says she helped with his songs from an album that was released 2 years later, I don't think the relationship lasted 2 years. That's just my opinion. Joe said the relationship ran it's course, that they were both lonely & they were on drugs. I think at the time, he was into her, but it doesn't seem like she was the "love of his life" That was how I interpreted the things he said.
    I don't think he meant to diss her or insult her, but I don't think Joe was madly in love with her. I'm sure Stevie is over it by now! I mean it was about 30 years ago. When you listen to the actual interview & the tone of voice he uses, you can tell he is trying to move the conversation in another direction, but I didn't really see that he was disrespectful to Stevie.

A Stevie fan isolated the parts where he talks about Stevie and put them into mp3 form. If you want to listen to them to hear his tone of voice (which I think is fair; sometimes things don't come across in transcription) you can do so here: http://www.mediafire.com/?d1c4kzvbsyiu92h

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I just now listened to the whole Stern interview.

One thing is for sure - Stern loves to pressure his guests and make them talk about things they don't want to talk about. He puts them in sticky situations and a bad position to make for a 'interesting' show. He does that with all guests, not just Joe. I've listen to random HS interviews and he always does that and loves to make them feel uncomfortable. He likes the drama and likes to get guests to say shocking or offending things. That's what he does.

That said, I do think Joe should have just refused to comment if he didn't want to talk about it in the first place. I'm sure he didn't want to upset or offend Marjorie by talking about Stevie, and perhaps Stevie felt more strongly about Joe than vice versa. It's hard to say, but with Stern's pressuring I think Joe handled it well considering the fact that Stern was trying to get him to talk about it. Joe was clearly uncomfortable talking about it and you could tell didn't want to talk about it. He should have just refused to comment period.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."