Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Eagles Live" Album

Default Re: Celebration of "Eagles Live" Album

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    So, is the version of SBR that is on the 2-CD Very Best Of album the same that is on Eagles Live? Or from Seattle in '76, because you can hear Glenn quite loudly throughout?

I don't have this album....is it worth it to get?
    There is only one official recording of SBR and that’s the one from the 1980 live concert. So yes it’s the same. As YEF pointed out, there was a discussion about the deconstructed SBR video on one of these threads. Only then can a person tell that Don H filled in brief gaps during Glenn’s part, presumably b/c Glenn wasnt interested in coming back to the studio to dub in these parts himself. Normally I don’t think it’s obvious.

The ‘76 Seattle version is a bootleg and not an official release. Personally I wasn’t interested in downloading the whole Live album from iTunes, just the tracks I wanted. But if you don’t already have SBR, I would definitely suggest getting it b/c it’s such a classic display of Eagles harmonies (I have it already on GH 2).

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Troubadour

Happy birthday Eagles Live, one of the finest studio albums the Eagles ever put out.

I'm not a fan of live albums in general, but I reserve special contempt for Eagles Live. As FP alludes to, from the overdubbing so prolific they may as well have just recorded them again from scratch to the inclusion of material not days but practically half a decade apart there is nothing to write home about at all. I am still waiting for someone to explain what on earth the 42 seconds of noise entitled 'Doolin-Dalton Reprise II' is; if you are going to include an orchestral solo (which shows how utterly desperate they were IMO) at least do them justice and make it something both substantive and actually remarkable.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    So, is the version of SBR that is on the 2-CD Very Best Of album the same that is on Eagles Live? Or from Seattle in '76, because you can hear Glenn quite loudly throughout?
    I don't have this album....is it worth it to get?
    Groupie - I purchased the Very Best Of cd when it came out. I like it and listen to it quite often. Like Pippin said, you can listen to it before you buy it.
    As for Eagles Live, I have not listened to it in many years. I remember the crap they took when it came out. If I remember right, critics called it the most over dubbed live album ever released - lol.

I love the Seattle bootleg. They do a great job with SBR and Randy sounds beautiful. I also think the version with Randy and Bernie must have sounded awesome. Like I said in the other thread for the 40th Annv. of HC, I wish the third cd was remastered LIVE concert footage instead of the high def of HC. If that had been done I would have no problem spending the $100 bucks. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The version of 7BR on Very Best Of is the Eagles Live version, and it is news to me that Glenn's part was partially sung by Don or whatever. You can hear him clearly throughout. Don's solo part though, 'sometimes there's a part of me' is blatantly overdubbed. And that is the answer to groupie's question; it is not a very good album. It is overdubbed to hell, and the inclusion of songs from 1976 demonstrates that they had run out of ideas.
    It’s weird, you can’t really hear it on the record but if you listen to the isolated tracks it’s very clear. It’s disappointing. For example like “southward as you go” in the intro is don. Most of the last part is don singing. It’s unfortunate
    Last edited by YoungEaglesFan; 11-08-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    It’s weird, you can’t really hear it on the record but if you listen to the isolated tracks it’s very clear. It’s disappointing. For example like “southward as you go” in the intro is don. Most of the last part is don singing. It’s unfortunate
    I'll just stick to the official recording then, thanks.

However, I am now listening to that video, and right at the beginning, there is Glenn singing 'southward as you go'. So I don't really know what you are referring to. I mean they were singing harmonies, right? So there are multiple parts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lw...ature=youtu.be

I'd never noticed it, either.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Happy birthday Eagles Live, one of the finest studio albums the Eagles ever put out.

I'm not a fan of live albums in general, but I reserve special contempt for Eagles Live. As FP alludes to, from the overdubbing so prolific they may as well have just recorded them again from scratch to the inclusion of material not days but practically half a decade apart there is nothing to write home about at all. I am still waiting for someone to explain what on earth the 42 seconds of noise entitled 'Doolin-Dalton Reprise II' is; if you are going to include an orchestral solo (which shows how utterly desperate they were IMO) at least do them justice and make it something both substantive and actually remarkable.
    I guess by definition a reprise without the context of the actual song is not really a reprise at all....That one didn't make any sense. Obviously just filling up album space.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I'll just stick to the official recording then, thanks.

However, I am now listening to that video, and right at the beginning, there is Glenn singing 'southward as you go'. So I don't really know what you are referring to. I mean they were singing harmonies, right? So there are multiple parts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lw...ature=youtu.be
    Maybe it’s not that line but there are a few times Don comes in for Glenn’s parts. The last part is the most obvious with the switch in and switch out. He is singing the same notes as Glenn but with his voice. I can’t listen to it but on a thread on here and on elsewhere I’ve seen people say it’s don’s part. It was something I just didn’t know and it’s impossible on the record to hear

In general the SBR individually wasn’t that great. Joe does not sound good (though his part is impossible to hear besides the part where he goes down on “as you go”, Glenn’s part is broken up by don, Felder did his part in the studio, Henley sounds good but I think there’s some overdub. Timothy was fine but I think he sounds weak at times. Randy’s voice was better for that song. But it still sounds great so that speaks volumes about the standard we have

Border Desperado

A thought that just occurred to me about SBR. Why was this song not on The Long Run? All the stories you hear is how they didn't have anything finished, and how big a struggle the song writing was during this album.
    It would have made sense. It was a song they did live, so fans would know it.
    Has anyone heard this answered?