Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Eagles Live" Album

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of "Eagles Live" Album

OMG - I missed this celebration, so better late than never ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO EAGLES LIVE!!!

Love Love Love!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

I love Eagles Live. I think it was my second Eagles CD. I had the Greatest Hits 71-75, and then after the HFO video, I bought Live. I chose it cause at my local used CD store, it was only like a buck more than single CD's.
    I fell in love with it, and still listen to it alot. I have a few questions about it that some of the folks here probably know the answer to.
    1. Why were the songs chosen from such a drastic time span?
    2. Why include Randy's song? A live album (IMO) should reflect the group as it was when the album was done.
    3. Does Glenn play an electric guitar on HC instead of the acoustic? That song sounds different on this album than any other version I have heard, including the Millenium Concert.
    4. Why not include Keep on Tryin'? I love that song by TBS.
    5. Not a question, but I found it interesting that LITFL was recorded at the Cranston Benefit.

This album is actually what inspired my "Eagles Concert" playlist collection that I mess with.
    I have all my CDs ripped to mp3, so I try to put together concerts, like the HFO tour, and the HOTE tour. That way I can listen in the order that I heard them in live.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

BB76 - I share your love of the Eagles Live album, but I can only guess about some of your questions.

1. Why were the songs chosen from such a drastic time span? I suspect the songs were chosen based on the performances they felt were the best.

2. Why include Randy's song? A live album (IMO) should reflect the group as it was when the album was done. I disagree - TITTL was one of their biggest hits so why shouldn't it be included. They also included it on the HOTE bonus concert and many of us happen to think it is one of the highlights of the DVD.

3. Does Glenn play an electric guitar on HC instead of the acoustic? That song sounds different on this album than any other version I have heard, including the Millenium Concert. I personally can't recall ever seeing Glenn play anything other than an acoustic guitar on Hotel California.

4. Why not include Keep on Tryin'? I love that song by TBS. Who knows - maybe because it wasn't a big enough hit???

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

When TITTL was included on the HOTE DVD that was the band's lineup at the time of that show. It wasn't the lineup for most of the Eagles Live songs. I also agree that a live album should represent the current lineup of a band, no matter how loved TITTL may have been. It says a great deal about the state of the band that songs from three years previously had to be included because they presumably thought the 1980 performance weren't good enough.

The above are some reasons why I rarely listen to this album. It reminds me too much of this period of their history. I also know this is a minority opinion which is why I have never posted in this thread & won't post in it again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I love Eagles Live. I have a few questions about it that some of the folks here probably know the answer to.
    1. Why were the songs chosen from such a drastic time span?
    They obviously wanted to include Randy's, Take It To The Limit and one of the rare occassions when they performed it with live strings.

The Eagles did a legendary performance of TITTL with a 40 piece string orchestra in London 1977. It was the highlight of every Eagles concert. With the added strings it was simply peerless. Even Joe said it was overwhelming just being a part of it. The recordings of both Wasted Time and Take It To The Limit are greatly enhanced by the live strings.

2. Why include Randy's song? A live album (IMO) should reflect the group as it was when the album was done.
    Not in pre-digital, 1980. Three or four Studio albums. A compilation or "Hits" album then a live document to follow, would be a typical run of albums. In the 70s, an album a year was a standard rate of release. Also, you must remember that The Long Run album wasn't as successful as the previous Hotel California album.

3. Does Glenn play an electric guitar on HC instead of the acoustic? That song sounds different on this album than any other version I have heard, including the Millenium Concert.
    Again, analog technology. Before digital amplification, an acoustic guitar opening (like on the LP) is a bit quiet to start a concert. I think either Joe or Don added a bit more body to Glenn's acoustic. Actually I have a nugget of unaccounted info that guitar tech, Jage Jackson would play additional guitar on Hotel California.

Joe and his tunes were adopted by the Eagles to add some wallop to their FM radio friendly set list of songs. They had plenty of pretty acoustic songs. The biggest omissions are Tequila Sunrise, Best Of My Love, Lying Eyes, One Of These Nights and Already Gone....

Thanks for giving me a chance to act like a smart-ass BB76

Mostly, the two Eagles albums to have in the 70s were Hotel California and Greatest Hits. Approaching as a Walsh fan I went for Hotel California and Eagles Live.

I was stunned by the quality of the songs and performances on Eagles live. The two Walsh tracks were probably my least favourite tracks.

Includes my favourite versions of Hotel California, Wasted Time, The Long Run, Take It To The Limit and Saturday Night.

There is a notable lack of Glenn lead vocal tracks though. Maybe he was determined to distance himself from the band as he was on the verge of quitting.

Stuck on the Border

I know there were several shows specifically set up for the recording of the Live Album. Was there also video recording of these shows? An old interview mentioned a plan to issue archive material filmed in 1980. I'd like to see that.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    They obviously wanted to include Randy's, Take It To The Limit and one of the rare occassions when they performed it with live strings.

The Eagles did a legendary performance of TITTL with a 40 piece string orchestra in London 1977. It was the highlight of every Eagles concert. With the added strings it was simply peerless. Even Joe said it was overwhelming just being a part of it. The recordings of both Wasted Time and Take It To The Limit are greatly enhanced by the live strings.

So we are assuming this performance at the Forum has strings & that's why it was included.

Not in pre-digital, 1980. Three or four Studio albums. A compilation or "Hits" album then a live document to follow, would be a typical run of albums. In the 70s, an album a year was a standard rate of release. Also, you must remember that The Long Run album wasn't as successful as the previous Hotel California album.

The point still stands that most live albums reflect a specific point of time. If it was about the success of HC why was a live album not released after the HC tour? The old tracks on Eagles Live seem like a snub to Tim.

There is a notable lack of Glenn lead vocal tracks though. Maybe he was determined to distance himself from the band as he was on the verge of quitting.
    It's hardly a surprise that he hardly sings any leads. He had pretty much stopped. He talks a lot though. It's one of the album's few saving graces for me.

I'm sorry for the confusing way this post is laid out. My responses are in bold except for the last part whiuch falls outside the quote area.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I think I might be able to help with these two questions:
    3. As others have said, it's most likely that Glenn was playing acoustic with Don F playing the acoustic intro from the album on an electric, which is always what I've seen on video footage from the previous tour.

Interestingly, with regards to Funk 50's comments, I know Pink Floyd on their In The Flesh Tour in 1977 where they played the Animals and Wish You Were Here albums in their entirety when playing live they started with Sheep, which opens with whereas the album starts with the acoustic Pigs on the Wing - I wonder if similar reasoning was behind that move?

4. I would suggest that the Eagles would not have wanted to include a Poco song on their live album as this would be acknowledging a rival country rock band, potentially providing ammunition for Eagles-hating Poco fans (I could imagine comments like 'The Eagles didn't have enough good songs to fill their live album so they stole one of Poco's' or similar).

Also, anyone buying Eagles Live who already owned all the Eagles albums without knowing Poco's back catalogue would have been familiar with the similarly titled 'Tryin'' but not with 'Keep On Tryin'', and this could have led to confusion. The inclusion of Joe Walsh solo songs on the live album was a different matter as he was not in direct competition with the Eagles prior to joining and as he only had two Eagles songs up to that point (one of which was a ballad - hardly the sort of material he was/is typically associated with) it was a good idea to let him bring in a couple of his own songs and as these were an important part of the live show they needed to represented on the live album.

I do think the inclusion of Saturday Night might have been to give Tim a bit more exposure on the live album beyond ICTYW, as he sings Randy's lines from the original - which was ideal as it gave him something else to sing without giving him a song that was tied to Randy's voice like TITTL.

I think the reason they left out "Best of My Love" was because Don has said he didn't like how it sounded live. I'd have to disagree, though!

I love that they included "Take It to the Limit." It's a highlight of the album for me. My favorite, though, is the magnificent "Seven Bridges Road."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy 37th Birthday to Eagles Live album.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley