Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Eagles Live" Album

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "Eagles Live" Album

I've always enjoyed this album. My one complaint would be there were not enough songs by Glenn. Little did I know 37 years ago when I bought this album that the group had already broken up. I have to say my favorite song on the album is SBR.

Happy birthday eagles live! I like a lot of the stuff on here but i wish they had put already gone and best of my love on it. I absolutely SBR but I wish they had a version with Bernie and Randy instead. I was also dissapointed that don had to sing in for some of Glenn’s part. I wish they had kept the actual live recording or just had Glenn redo it. I know Glenn had quit and had they had to Finish the album by themselves but still

I remember buying this album and playing it all the time! Take It To The Limit probably my most favorite . Those were the days, actually going to a record store and praying the albums I wanted weren't sold out, LOL.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

I bought the album from Itunes about 2 or 3 years ago. I haven't listen to it in a long time.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

This was my very first Eagles Album - a Christmas gift from my older sister in 1980 when I was just 15. I really loved it and was disappointed to hear that they had broken up already. I then collected all their previous albums and started getting the solos starting with I Can't Stand Still and No Fun Aloud.

I remember trying to match up who was who from the cleaner cut looks from the Eagles Live photos to the earlier One of These Nights, Desperado and HC.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I absolutely SBR but I wish they had a version with Bernie and Randy instead. I was also dissapointed that don had to sing in for some of Glenn’s part. I wish they had kept the actual live recording or just had Glenn redo it. I know Glenn had quit and had they had to Finish the album by themselves but still
    All due respect to Joe and Timothy, I bet a version with Bernie and Randy would sound awesome. But Bernie had left the band by the time the ‘76 Forum concerts happened. As far as Glenn’s part being filled out by Don H, at least there’s the ‘76 Seattle version where Glenn’s voice is quite prominent throughout.

Which brings me to this...I can’t help but wonder how many shows were recorded for a possible live album. This was probably something the record company had been wanting for awhile but the band wasn’t ready for it (or maybe they didn’t want a repeat of GH 1). The record company didn’t get it until push came to shove and the band was breaking up. By then there are some newer songs to include on it.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I bought the album from Itunes about 2 or 3 years ago. I haven't listen to it in a long time.
    I haven’t listened to it in a long time either, except for the outstanding TITTL. Even then I listen with some skepticism, now that I know about all the studio over-dubbing.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    All due respect to Joe and Timothy, I bet a version with Bernie and Randy would sound awesome. But Bernie had left the band by the time the ‘76 Forum concerts happened. As far as Glenn’s part being filled out by Don H, at least there’s the ‘76 Seattle version where Glenn’s voice is quite prominent throughout.

Which brings me to this...I can’t help but wonder how many shows were recorded for a possible live album. This was probably something the record company had been wanting for awhile but the band wasn’t ready for it (or maybe they didn’t want a repeat of GH 1). The record company didn’t get it until push came to shove and the band was breaking up. By then there are some newer songs to include on it.

I haven’t listened to it in a long time either, except for the outstanding TITTL. Even then I listen with some skepticism, now that I know about all the studio over-dubbing.
    So, is the version of SBR that is on the 2-CD Very Best Of album the same that is on Eagles Live? Or from Seattle in '76, because you can hear Glenn quite loudly throughout?

I don't have this album....is it worth it to get?

The album is available in tota on Spotify if you want to give it a listen before buying. I think it's a good album. "Heartache Tonight" always sounds better live, IMHO.

On the rare occasions when MTV would play something besides HC during their Closet Classics segment, I was always thrilled when they played anything with Glenn singing lead -- usually from the live in DC show. I'd sit there in front of the TV, just saying, "Isn't he goooorrrrgeous?" LOL. The mind of a 15-year-old. Did the same thing when "The One You Love" video came out. Oh Lord, I was so bowled over by how good he looks in that video! They'd also occasionally show "The Long Run" and "I Can't Tell You Why" -- the studio videos -- and I'd be drooling again. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    So, is the version of SBR that is on the 2-CD Very Best Of album the same that is on Eagles Live? Or from Seattle in '76, because you can hear Glenn quite loudly throughout?

I don't have this album....is it worth it to get?
    I’m sure it’s the same version. I posted a video of the isolated tracks for SBR on here. If you look up seven bridges road deconstructed on YouTube you can find it. Listen to Glenn’s part (for some reason it’s put with felder’s), you’ll hear throughout the song times when Don sings his parts instead. It’s not just don’s normal part which is higher.

Stuck on the Border

The version of 7BR on Very Best Of is the Eagles Live version, and it is news to me that Glenn's part was partially sung by Don or whatever. You can hear him clearly throughout. Don's solo part though, 'sometimes there's a part of me' is blatantly overdubbed. And that is the answer to groupie's question; it is not a very good album. It is overdubbed to hell, and the inclusion of songs from 1976 demonstrates that they had run out of ideas.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-07-2017 at 07:05 PM.