Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Just seen this thread. I've had the DVD for a while now. I have to be honest and say I really don't like the set up of the stage or the orchestra, it just feels a bit too made for TV for me (yes, I know it was!), but the songs themselves are excellent. The version of Hotel California is immense (though I wish Joe / Don F played the full outro ). It's also good to see some lesser played (or filmed for release) songs such as The Last Resort and NYM. I just wished they'd have done some more old staples such as LE and what have you, but a decent show overall. HFO didn't actually have a bad set of new songs either - TGFY is a good copy of what they did back around 1973-1975~, and Get Over It is always great to hear - very true of modern society! Not endeared to LWKUA sorry to say, but I think Learn to be Still is one of their best songs ever. Not classic Eagles as you would recognise from the 1970s but very soothing and what have you. Just wish there was any decent, extensive footage from the following tour!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Oh Mary! Another vote for 'you will love it'! It's amazing in more ways than one!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Just seen this thread. I've had the DVD for a while now. I have to be honest and say I really don't like the set up of the stage or the orchestra, it just feels a bit too made for TV for me (yes, I know it was!), but the songs themselves are excellent. The version of Hotel California is immense (though I wish Joe / Don F played the full outro ). It's also good to see some lesser played (or filmed for release) songs such as The Last Resort and NYM. I just wished they'd have done some more old staples such as LE and what have you, but a decent show overall. HFO didn't actually have a bad set of new songs either - TGFY is a good copy of what they did back around 1973-1975~, and Get Over It is always great to hear - very true of modern society! Not endeared to LWKUA sorry to say, but I think Learn to be Still is one of their best songs ever. Not classic Eagles as you would recognise from the 1970s but very soothing and what have you. Just wish there was any decent, extensive footage from the following tour!
    Actually, they performed Heartache Tonight, a new arrangement of Peaceful Easy Feeling, Glenn's Lover's Moon & Best of My Love but, obviously the didn't make it into the HFO video. You will notice that BOML is listed in the credits at the end. I have seen online, extremely poor quality videos of PEF & LM. There is also a bootleg audio of one night of the taping of the show which includes between show banter. It has been dubbed Second Night.

There is a very good quality video of their Christchurch, NZ concert from the HFO tour. Bootleg copies aren't too hard to come across. I've seen it at Walmart here in Canada & on Amazon as well under the title The Eagles 'Take It Easy. The concert is excellent although it doesn't include Get Over It or Learn To Be Still.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Oh Mary! Another vote for 'you will love it'! It's amazing in more ways than one!
    IT ARRIVED!

and

I JUST WATCHED IT!

Even though I am about 19 years late to this party, my observations:

It's funny how much more you notice about the music when watching the video as opposed to just listening to the album.

Out of eighteen (18 ) songs, did Glenn Frey really only sing lead on three (3)?? Wha' happened? I guess at that period in time, Henley was coming off of his very successful solo career...

Timothy singing the second verse of TIE with Glenn (Winslow, AZ) - do they still do this?!

Don Felder looks so happy in every shot - smiling like a fool. Poor guy never knew what was coming 7 years later.

I like watching Glenn play guitar and Tim play crazy bass on Get Over It. Tim also does some crazy bass in New York Minute (this is my technical music talk for what he's doing.)

They all look great. A long billowy shirt on Timothy is not my preferred wardrobe for him, as I like to see more of his finely-honed man-body. I worried about Joe, but he seemed just fine, and his voice sounded great. Henley's hair looks great and his voice sounds great, I guess that's why the show was so Henley-heavy - not a bad thing, I just hadn't noticed it before.

I agree with everyone - this is a thrilling show and I'll watch it again tomorrow!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    IT ARRIVED!

and

I JUST WATCHED IT!

Even though I am about 19 years late to this party, my observations:

It's funny how much more you notice about the music when watching the video as opposed to just listening to the album.

Out of eighteen (18 ) songs, did Glenn Frey really only sing lead on three (3)?? Wha' happened? I guess at that period in time, Henley was coming off of his very successful solo career...

Timothy singing the second verse of TIE with Glenn (Winslow, AZ) - do they still do this?!

Don Felder looks so happy in every shot - smiling like a fool. Poor guy never knew what was coming 7 years later.

I like watching Glenn play guitar and Tim play crazy bass on Get Over It. Tim also does some crazy bass in New York Minute (this is my technical music talk for what he's doing.)

They all look great. A long billowy shirt on Timothy is not my preferred wardrobe for him, as I like to see more of his finely-honed man-body. I worried about Joe, but he seemed just fine, and his voice sounded great. Henley's hair looks great and his voice sounds great, I guess that's why the show was so Henley-heavy - not a bad thing, I just hadn't noticed it before.

I agree with everyone - this is a thrilling show and I'll watch it again tomorrow!
    Glenn sang more songs which were not used in the performance, which were Peaceful Easy Feeling, Heartache Tonight & his solo song Lover's Moon. For me at any rate, it is a tragedy that at least one more of these was not used to redress the balance. However it must be stressed that presumably Glenn himself had to OK what was played. (Don also sang BOML & OOTN).

Tim still harmonises with Glenn in the second verse of TIE just as Randy used to.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thanks for the info, FP.

Stuck on the Border

By the way, as the thread has been revived, I had the immense privilege of seeing TGFY performed on March 2 this year. I was one of the few people on this board who saw it with the Eagles (in 1995) and now I am the only person who has seen it done as a solo performance.

Mary, I was not going to influence your opinion before watching it, but yes, sometimes I think of HFO as 'The Don Henley Show featuring the Eagles'. Not that I don't enjoy it, because I do.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    By the way, as the thread has been revived, I had the immense privilege of seeing TGFY performed on March 2 this year. I was one of the few people on this board who saw it with the Eagles (in 1995) and now I am the only person who has seen it done as a solo performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Mary, I was not going to influence your opinion before watching it, but yes, sometimes I think of HFO as 'The Don Henley Show featuring the Eagles'. Not that I don't enjoy it, because I do.
    I agree. As much as I enjoy HFO I wish Glenn had sung at least one more. The unique version of PEF that was done for this performance was beautiful & I would have loved to see it left in the concert.