Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    By the way, as the thread has been revived, I had the immense privilege of seeing TGFY performed on March 2 this year. I was one of the few people on this board who saw it with the Eagles (in 1995) and now I am the only person who has seen it done as a solo performance.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Not to be a copycat, but in reference to the above quote from FP....

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I don't want to burst your bubble, FP, but Glenn performed TGFY in Auckland too.

Hubby and I were watching Hell Freezes Over last night. Often I play this in the mornings while I'm exercising (okay, not nearly as often as I should, but still...) but it's a completely different experience when it's shared. So, so incredibly good.

Then we played Seven Bridges Road, and I explained about the split vocals (each going to a different speaker - I did try to find the thread on that but no luck), and Rob and I were both running around the room listening to each speaker.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

We've missed ya around here, EK - glad to hear from you again.

I've never heard that DTS version of 7BR because I don't have surround sound. I would SO love to hear it though!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

My parents just moved into a condo ("God's Waiting Room" they call it) and they had surround sound installed. I'm going to take my HFO DVD over the next time and try it out!!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    I don't want to burst your bubble, FP, but Glenn performed TGFY in Auckland too.

Hubby and I were watching Hell Freezes Over last night. Often I play this in the mornings while I'm exercising (okay, not nearly as often as I should, but still...) but it's a completely different experience when it's shared. So, so incredibly good.

Then we played Seven Bridges Road, and I explained about the split vocals (each going to a different speaker - I did try to find the thread on that but no luck), and Rob and I were both running around the room listening to each speaker.
    Oh, that's good. I'm so glad you got to see it too! I'm sure you would have said so at the time! A great honour for his antipodean fans, wasn't it?! ETA: Just read the review. Fabulous memories.
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-28-2013 at 06:04 PM.

HFO is great... I prefer the Christchurch Bootleg though. The only two things I'd change about HFO is do the electric version of HC, and have less Henley solo tunes. Other than that, it's great. I like it a lot. I really like the unreleased PEF. Probably my favorite version of that song.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Troubadour

I hate to go around asking all these basic questions but I can't help being born most of it happened

I've only seen bits and pieces of the actual HFO tour (basically whatever bootlegs have made YT) but how different was the MTV special to the rest of the tour? I sometimes think in a sense that the MTV one was almost like Don Henley plus four random people who occasionally got the spotlight, and I can't imagine songs like NYM and HOTM making an Eagles concert, a bit too long and slow (not meant in a bad way!) - I'd always assumed the MTV shoot was more to demonstrate their musical ability after so long apart, sort of a celebration of greatness, whilst the tour subsequently was to give fans the songs they wanted? Also, did the acoustic HC continue for the whole tour or was that another MTV special? I really like that version, I just wish Joe and Don F did the full outro, from what I remember they cut it short

And finally, my Mum's partner went to see them on the HFO tour, and he reckons there was still a bit of animosity between Glenn, Don H and Don F whilst onstage, sort of like they were only there because they had to be. I know the members on here like to see the best in them but would anyone who went to see them agree, or did my Mum's partner just go on a bad night? They certainly seem infinitely more comfortable with each other now then they did on the MTV one IMO.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Regarding the dynamic between Don H/Glenn and Don F - it wouldn't surprise me if they played nice at the MTV show - they were all so nervous and excited and I'm sure the whole thing was surreal - they were genuinely happy. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that as the tour went on, they started to battle - two things: 1) Felder wasn't happy with the deal, and 2) Based on, I think it was Irving's comment in the documentary, "We'd better have Felder in case Joe can't get sober...we need at least one guitar player" makes it sound like if they knew that Joe was a lock, they wouldn't have even asked Felder to join in. It wasn't a given that they would go to him - he was a hedge.

Stuck on the Border

The HFO tour ended in the UK in August 1996, so maybe your mum's partner saw them at the end of the tour when everyone was tired and needing a break. According to Don Felder, they didn't play together again until the Hall of Fame induction in 1998.

There are a couple of articles/interviews with Robert Hilburn of the LA Times, one from the start of the HFO and another at the Hall of Fame and it's quite sad to see that the joy and optimism seems to have disappeared in those four years.