Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I hate to go around asking all these basic questions but I can't help being born most of it happened

I've only seen bits and pieces of the actual HFO tour (basically whatever bootlegs have made YT) but how different was the MTV special to the rest of the tour? I sometimes think in a sense that the MTV one was almost like Don Henley plus four random people who occasionally got the spotlight, and I can't imagine songs like NYM and HOTM making an Eagles concert, a bit too long and slow (not meant in a bad way!) - I'd always assumed the MTV shoot was more to demonstrate their musical ability after so long apart, sort of a celebration of greatness, whilst the tour subsequently was to give fans the songs they wanted? Also, did the acoustic HC continue for the whole tour or was that another MTV special? I really like that version, I just wish Joe and Don F did the full outro, from what I remember they cut it short

And finally, my Mum's partner went to see them on the HFO tour, and he reckons there was still a bit of animosity between Glenn, Don H and Don F whilst onstage, sort of like they were only there because they had to be. I know the members on here like to see the best in them but would anyone who went to see them agree, or did my Mum's partner just go on a bad night? They certainly seem infinitely more comfortable with each other now then they did on the MTV one IMO.
    tlr - We are glad to answer questions here when we actually have the answers. I can try to answer some of your questions. The MTV special was definitely different from the HFO live shows because it was filmed as a television special program. If you don't already have the DVD for the special, it should be commercially available. I have a couple of videoed shows from the HFO tour and Heart of the Matter was played at them, but New York Minute was not. Although there was quite of bit of solo material from Don, Glenn, and Joe in the setlists, the live shows were not as Henley-dominated as the MTV special. As far as I know, the acoustic version of Hotel California was only played for the MTV special. I'll try to dig my videos up and post the setlist here when I get a chance.

As far as how the band got along during the HFO, it has been acknowledged by band members that they had their 'ups and downs' during this time. However, as far as live shows, I imagine it was just like any other extended tour - some nights the band may have been more 'on' than others. In the videos that I have, I don't notice any tensions between any of the band members.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Here is the HFO setlist for the 6/94 Mountain View, CA and 11/95 Christchurch, NZ videos that I have ...

1. Hotel California
    2. Victim of Love
    3. New Kid In Town
    4. Wasted Time
    5. Pretty Maid All In a Row
    6. The Girl From Yesterday
    7. I Can't Tell You Why
    8. Ordinary Average Guy
    9. Lyin' Eyes
    10. One of These Nights

Intermission

11. Silent Spring/Tequila Sunrise
    12. Help Me Thru the Night
    13. Heart of the Matter
    14. Love Will Keep Us Alive
    15. You Belong To the City
    16. The Boys of Summer
    17. Funk #49
    18. Dirty Laundry
    19. Smuggler's Blues
    20. Life's Been Good
    21. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
    22. Heartache Tonight
    23. Life In the Fast Lane

Encore #1

24. Get Over It
    25. Rocky Mountain Way

Encore #2

26. Already Gone
    27. Desperado

Encore #3

28. Take It Easy

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'd give anything for them to start doing Help Me Through the Night again!

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    I'd give anything for them to start doing Help Me Through the Night again!
    Aye. Love the HFO version of it, at the end when they all go for the 'Ahh' is magical. It's a huge credit to Joe that he can pull off both extremes of performing so well - the likes of RMW and LBG with PMAIAR and HMTTN. The only other mainstream guitarist I can think of who does that as well as Joe is Eric Clapton.

Stuck on the Border

I should point out that I saw the HFO tour in Sydney in 1995, and I have very fond memories of it because the setlist was so well balanced & Don was on drums for Wasted Time & Desperado, while Glenn did both SB & YBTTC.

I was so excited that I did not notice any 'animosity'; certainly not between Glenn & Don Henley. Don Felder interacted mainly with Joe, which was to be expected. He could hardly interact with Don Henley who was sitting behind him but I suppose it should be said that he & Glenn barely acknowledged each other. But at the time, I didn't care & I still don't. I was glad it wasn't like the TV show, which was far too slow & dominated by Henley

I should also point out that Get Over It was not played on the Australasian tour, so was not played in Christchurch; that was really the only big disappointment of the night. I have Mountain View but I haven't watched it for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Aye. Love the HFO version of it, at the end when they all go for the 'Ahh' is magical. It's a huge credit to Joe that he can pull off both extremes of performing so well - the likes of RMW and LBG with PMAIAR and HMTTN. The only other mainstream guitarist I can think of who does that as well as Joe is Eric Clapton.
    And that's one of the main reasons I love that man. Amazingly versatile in his writing and performing style. What kind of music does Joe Walsh make? Most kinds!

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

I must admit. I love when Joe sang PMAINA and HMTTN on HFO. He can serious with the ballads even though people know him from up beat songs.

I love acoustic version of HC.

I just noticed that HFO premiered on MTV on this day in 1994.

I don't remembered if I watched it that night or I watched later on, but I fell in love with the Eagles when I was 14 even though it wasn't until this year I became fan fan of their music. I guess I better put in my DVD and watch it before I watch HOTE at 9:30pm.

The Hell Freezes Over album turns 19 today - the album that reignited the Eagles and led to them still burnin' today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HELL FREEZES OVER!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Love the board style!
    ~Sara