Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Happy Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!

I haven't had a chance to post much in this thread this week, but I do want to comment on the four original new songs that were included on the album. I liked them all, and thought they did a great job in showcasing the band's diversity. I love Learn To Be Still and agree that it is very underrated. Of course, I would have loved to have had more new tracks, and was disappointed that nothing from Joe was included.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

As HFO week comes to a close, I thought I would make some comments on the album.

Overall, as was said before, this album was more about the reuniting of the Eagles than about the music itself in many ways. They did put four new songs on there; I always wondered why Don got two leads and Joe got none, but oh well. Maybe since this was put together rather quickly, he didn't have anything ready for them.

Get Over it - Sometimes Glenn and Don talk this one down, and I don't know why. I love it. Catchy and funny, giving a message without bring preachy, I consider this a great song. Smokin' guitar solo too!

Love Will Keep Us Alive - Some call this schmaltzy and sickeningly sweet; I call it quite pretty. A very nice song with lovely harmonies, and the biggest hit off of the album.

Girl from Yesterday - not my favorite of Glenn's songs - it kind of drags - but he does sell the vocal.

Learn to Be Still - I honestly find this song kind of boring, but it's pleasant enough, I suppose. If we had to get rid of one to make room for a Joe song, this one would be my pick to go.

Notable live stuff:

Hotel California - while not as good as the rockin' version, the acoustic version at least offered something a bit different.

Pretty Maids All in a Row - OH MY GOSH, gorgeous.

New York Minute - Eh, OK, but... will someone please explain to me why this was on here instead of the Eagles' brilliant version of Heart of the Matter???

The Last Resort - Though I don't like the song, I thought it was very cool of them to perform a song that they'd never done live before (that I know of). Very well-arranged and well-sung.

GLARING omissions:

PEACEFUL EASY FEELING - Listen to it here and then join me in wondering why they left off of the album (and the video) this amazing version of the song - the best live version of the song I've ever heard.

Heart of the Matter - see my comment in "New York Minute."

Seven Bridges Road - a sonic masterpiece.

And... MORE GLENN, period. I don't think it's unfair to say that he should get more than three leads, especially when there was room for a Don solo song. (This is even more true for the video). Besides PEF, they could've used Heartache Tonight at least. That one brings the house down.

Understandable omissions from both the album and special:

Lover's Moon - lovely, but not really recognizable to most and there were already enough slow songs.

Best of My Love
    - I adore this song, but I think it the arrangement didn't really work. Listen to it here and see if you agree.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Soda, I completely agree with you. HOTM should have been on the album, not NYM. But they didn't do Seven Bridges Road. The audio version on the DVD is the Eagles Live version.

Glenn is as usual horribly underrepresented. I see now that in the current setlist he sings 8 songs to Don's 12 (or 7 to 11 if BBF and Somebody are omitted).

Default Re: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Here we go - our next album anniversary - that of Hell Freezes Over! The resumption album hit stores 16 years ago today.

Wow. Time flies!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!!!!! A great album that means a lot to me for obvious reasons - their reunion and also the new songs.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Happy Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!
    WOW, 16 years ago! I can't belive!This album accompanies me so already my half a life!
    I really love this album! I believe I have so often heard it, as no other Eagles album,
    however, is also not difficult, it was for years my only album of them.It is very special for me!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

When I get home, I'm gonna have to give this CD a listen. I love that the guys were able to bring it all back together to make wonderful music once again! Just seeing The Border's Background wallpaper makes me smile! They all look so good and happy...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

It really is unbelievable that it has been 16 since hell froze over. What was intended as a one-time resumption tour is still alive and kicking. I think its safe to say that most of of us here are pretty happy about that!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Most definitely! Wow, 16 years already! Love this album, too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Wow 16 years!!! I remember being 4 years old and my mom yelling at me to come into her bedroom and seeing the Eagles (for the first ever) perform "Hotel California" on the MTV special. Before then, I'd only heard them drivin around with my Dad when we used to live in L.A. It wasn't until I was 13 that I got the DVD for Christmas (along with The Very Best Of album). "Get Over It" is my favorite song off this album