Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

My opinion on the "new" songs:

The girl from yeasterday: Ok, but not that good. Having said that, I think the "Because she knows deep in her heart that he'll be back someday" bit is a lovely moment musically and lyrically. Very Glennish too. And of course Glenn sings the song beautifully. But I do get a slight "oh yeah, but what was the point of the song again?" feeling.

Learn to be still: I loved this when the album was fresh. I still like it a lot. Lyrically as well as musically.

Get over it: I love the lyric, but musically I find it lacking substance. I do like the answering "ta-daa" guitars after the "get over it" line in the choruses. A brilliant little detail.

Love will keep us alive: I have never liked this song at all. I would have preferred a song written by Timothy to a cover I don't like at all. I think this song is very boring. Lyrically it may have its sweet moments, but lines like "I would die for you, climb the highest mountain. Baby, there's nothing I wouldn't do" really bring it down.

I have this feeling that there are people who say they like Eagles, and Eagles to them is Hell Freezes Over. I really wish they would dig deeper.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

chaim---you had me right up to the Love Will Keep Us Alive part. Just kidding. I can see where you're coming from. It's not my favorite Timothy song either but I think his voice is amazing in it.

You make a good point about Get Over It. Hadn't really though about the music part of it because I've always loved the lyrics so much I guess. Now I'll have to listen to it a couple times and try to just hear the music.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I have this feeling that there are people who say they like Eagles, and Eagles to them is Hell Freezes Over. I really wish they would dig deeper.
    I agree (& was guilty myself) - or alternatively they think of "Greatest Hits 1971-1975" (& the next one) and thereby miss out on all the great songs that didn't make those albums - not to mention the whole of LROOE.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    The girl from yesterday: Ok, but not that good. Having said that, I think the "Because she knows deep in her heart that he'll be back someday" bit is a lovely moment musically and lyrically.
    How ironic - this is actually my least favorite lyric! I don't like it because in regular usage of the phrase, when you know something "deep in [your] heart" then it's supposed to be something you instinctively know is true on a subconscious level. For instance, "Although she said he was coming back someday, she knew deep in her heart he wasn't." In this case, he WON'T be back someday - it's not true at all. I guess it's just supposed to reinforce that she's completely delusional to the point where even her subconscious instincts are disconnected from reality, but it's a jarring use of the phrase IMHO.

Isn't it funny how people can see the same lyrics so totally differently? It's all subjective!

I agree that the melody there is lovely, though.

I think Learn to Be Still is a bit sluggish but it definitely has its moments.

I think Get over it is a terrific song - that music rocks! I love how upbeat is is. It showed the Eagles still remembered that they were a rock band. The guitar is hot!

I also give props to Love Will Keep Us Alive. Perhaps the lyrics are a bit trite but it's so romantic, and I think the tune is very pretty.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    How ironic - this is actually my least favorite lyric! I don't like it because when you know something "deep in [your] heart" then it's supposed to be something you know is true. For instance, "Although she said he was coming back, she knew deep in her heart she wasn't." In this case, he WON'T be back someday - it's not true at all. I guess it's just supposed to reinforce that she's completely delusional, but it's a jarring use of the phrase IMHO.

Isn't it funny how people can see the same lyrics so totally differently? It's all subjective!

I agree that the melody there is lovely, though.

I think Learn to Be Still is a bit sluggish but it definitely has its moments.

I think Get over it is a terrific song - that music rocks! I love how upbeat is is. It showed the Eagles still remembered that they were a rock band. The guitar is hot!

I also give props to Love Will Keep Us Alive. Perhaps the lyrics are a bit trite but it's so romantic, and I think the tune is very pretty.
    I love "The Girl From Yesterday" but, the lyric that Soda mentions has always bothered me too, for the same reason. I have tried to come up with other words that would suit better than "knows" (deep in her heart).
    Learn to Be Still has its moments for me as well, especially with the lyrics, eg. ("one more starry eyed messiah") but I find it draggy as well.

I love Get over it. It's a real rocker! Love the message of the lyrics & the guitar solos.

I have to be in the mood for Love Will Keep Us Alive. I find it too slow unless I'm feeling mellow. It's a bit bland to me. However, I do agree with TBF that Timothy sings it beautifully.

Stuck on the Border

At the risk of sounding very pretentious, the woman in TGFY is Madama Butterfly. 'Un bel di.... one fine day, he'll definitely be back!' It's the delusion of hope against all odds (see also a Phil Collins song, with that title, to make myself sound less pretentious)!

I love the song (what a surprise) & I was lucky enough to see it performed once.

It may be about delusion but I far prefer it to LWKUA, a song I am afraid I can only listen to if I am watching them perform it. I know this is harsh but the song is bland to the point of being soporific; Glenn & Don don't even sound like they should & Tim is wasted.

The other two are particular favourites of mine for reasons I have given earlier in the thread.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

As I've said often, I rarely analyze the music or lyrics. But since I became a member of this board, I have started paying closer attention and whenever I see someone here state what they think a lyric means, I listen more closely next time I hear it.

You're right with your above statement, Soda and that being said, doesn't it make you really wonder which point of view they are thinking when they write the lyric? Or is it a whole different meaning all together? Again, we need that book from them explaining it all!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

To most people the Eagles is the Greatest Hit's 71-75, not HFO. It's The Greatest hits lp that is the best selling album of all time, except alternating with Micheal Jackson. I think most people don't even know many of the songs on HFO, even if they've seen the DVD. I mean compare TIE to Get Over It which is probably the most well known song on HFO. There's no comparison in which song is more well known

How ironic - this is actually my least favorite lyric! I don't like it because in regular usage of the phrase, when you know something "deep in [your] heart" then it's supposed to be something you instinctively know is true on a subconscious level. For instance, "Although she said he was coming back someday, she knew deep in her heart he wasn't." In this case, he WON'T be back someday - it's not true at all. I guess it's just supposed to reinforce that she's completely delusional to the point where even her subconscious instincts are disconnected from reality, but it's a jarring use of the phrase IMHO.

It is funny, because I have always just took for granted the lyric meaning that she's delusional, because I think that's often a normal reaction from somebody who's been dumped.

Soda, I've wondered before, have you ever started a thread for analizing lyrics? I mean, deciding on a song and talking about what we think the lyrics mean, verse by verse. I think it would be very interesting.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I have to correct my previous DUMB statement, because on my way home from work I realized that TIE is on both of these albums, so my reasons for the defining album of the Eagles doesn't hold up. but I still think the early Eagles album is the album that most people remember the Eagles by. The HFO album is kind of a greatest hits with a few new songs on it.
    I guess HFO brought in a new set of younger fans who weren't around in the 70's & it was the reuniting of the band, so it does serve a huge spot in Eagles history.

As for "Get Over It"....well I'm over it, the song I mean. I can't stand that song & I wish they would drop it from the setlist. Many other songs I would rather hear!