Thread: Rosemont - Chicago, IL 11/9/09

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Rosemont - Chicago, IL 11/9/09

As expected, Don was great. I didn't take notes and I have no memory for song lists. (Nancy or Joe will have to fill you in on that). Also, this is not going to be detailed by any stretch... just some notes that are floating in my head.

He had an opening act. IMO, they sounded like a bar's house band. Not bad, but not excellent either. During the opening act, I went to the lobby to talk w/Nancy and Joe for a bit. Around 9:15ish we took our seats. I had fourth row and Nancy was a row ahead of me on the aisle. All in all, great seats and I'm not complaining! The band comes out, followed by Don, the spotlight shines on him and he begins singing. He tells a couple of stories, one about a cover song he's doing. (don't ask, I don't remember) and of course the Jack Nicholson story. Some women held up a sign and he said, (paraphrasing) "1972, huh, did we go to school together? Are you from my home town? Do I know you? Oh, I know your sister, well then" Then he gives a suggestive grin and chuckles. It was funny. Yes, Don inserted humor!

I was bummed that he didn't introduce his band. There were those we know, like Stuart, Scott and Will. (At least I think it was Scott, he was kinda blocked from my view) There were various others, but the two I want to know about were the young guys (in their 20's) playing rhythm guitar and bass. You could tell the bass player was into the jazz scene. He had the shaved head and fadora, playing a stand up bass. (sorry, don't know the real name for it) His whole look told a story, I liked it. The guitar player, OMG, what a cutie!!! At first I didn't think too much of him, until he played some lead on Life in the Fast Lane, he was good! I was telling Nancy, he reminded me of what a young Timothy was probably like. He was very relaxed and thin framed. He got into his music and you could tell, he just thought being out on that stage was so freaking cool! I'd love to know his story. He was wearing what looked like all black Chuck Taylors, but I don't think they were. In any case, I thought the shoes w/the suit were sexy as all get out! EDITING TO ADD: At the end of one song, Don does say something like, and that is Pete about the guitar player. Now if I recall correctly, it's Pete Thorn.

The first half of the show was relaxed, but once he played Dirty Laundry, everyone stood up and danced... we did more standing after that. It was cool. No My Thanksgiving, but he did give us two encores, yep, I said it, two!!! HC and Desperado... then he came back and did I Will Not Go Quietly and Please Come Home For Christmas. I thought that was awesome!!!

No photo's were allowed, but I tried to take some... w/out a flash though, they were all garbage... this is the best I had. Sorry.

Last edited by luvthelighthouse; 11-10-2009 at 02:54 AM.