Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rosemont - Chicago, IL 11/9/09

Default Re: Rosemont - Chicago, IL 11/9/09

That tends to be the norm for Don in solo shows (not playing the drums) for whatever reason.

He played the guitar a little bit for a few songs, and he rocked a tambourine for a few as well.

Don used to hop behind the drum kit for a couple songs during solo tours, but I guess after touring with the Eagles and having to drum on several songs, he'd rather leave it to Crago. I get the feeling he views playing the drums as a necessary evil which he does to please crowds rather than something he loves to do nowadays!

I thought the reviewer was a bit harsh. I know I had a lot more fun last night than he did, apparently. I did find his statement that Don's voice is more suited for the "losing end" interesting - but The Last Worthless Evening is hardly about failure, and it's hardly mournful. It's about moving from heartbreak to hope. Guess the reviewer missed the message of Heart of the Matter, too. Oh well.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Thanks for the review, it reminded me of something... I can't forgot I left out the two back up singers. This is the one part of the stage show that bugged me. The two women were wearing matching black dresses, hose and shoes. One brunette the other blonde w/a 20's style updo that was coming out like she had just had a quickie backstage. (yes, I did say that) They were clones of the Robert Palmer girls. Even during songs like, LITFL, they did their slow finger snaps and robotic arm and leg movements. It was almost creepy. I was thinking of them the whole way home and how I couldn't forget to mention them... so of course, I forgot to mention them.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The Last Worthless Evening is hardly about failure, and it's hardly mournful. It's about moving from heartbreak to hope. Guess the reviewer missed the message of Heart of the Matter, too. Oh well.
    I agree. I also think that New York Minute is absolutely about hope. "You can get out of the rain." As quickly as things can turn bad, they can get better. Obviously, many songs are open to interpretation (the way they should be), but it irritates me when critics label certain songs, and thus certain artists, as "depressing", "world-weary", "mournful"... 99% of the time, they're missing the hope that is present in the lyrics. Morrissey has always been described as bleak and miserable, and I honestly wonder how anybody who has listened to a Morrissey album or attended a Morrissey concert, can think that way. Sure, there are some sad lyrics and some brutally honest ones, but life can be sad and brutal - the reviewers seem to be missing the humour (however wry) that is present in Morrissey's work. It's the same with Don Henley. There is not one Henley song that depresses me. Even the most apparently downbeat - the likes of New York Minute - are incredibly comforting and hopeful, to me.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Thanks for the review, it reminded me of something... I can't forgot I left out the two back up singers. This is the one part of the stage show that bugged me. The two women were wearing matching black dresses, hose and shoes. One brunette the other blonde w/a 20's style updo that was coming out like she had just had a quickie backstage. (yes, I did say that) They were clones of the Robert Palmer girls. Even during songs like, LITFL, they did their slow finger snaps and robotic arm and leg movements. It was almost creepy. I was thinking of them the whole way home and how I couldn't forget to mention them... so of course, I forgot to mention them.
    I noticed the ladies in the back but I thought they were trying to do a Supremes type deal with the finger snaps and choreographed movements.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I noticed the ladies in the back but I thought they were trying to do a Supremes type deal with the finger snaps and choreographed movements.
    I also presumed the entire arrangement a veiled or perhaps inadvertent reference to the "Addicted to Love" video - him in a Palmer-esque suit, the girls in those precise outfits with the peculiar, robotic arm motions that never deviated. Odd. Beautiful backdrop, though; the lighting technicians and coordinators ought to be heralded.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm so glad you all had a good time. Sounds like Don was great, as usual! Nice pics, too, ltlh. Thanks for sharing them.

Can't wait to see and hear your vids, Rambo.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I did some searching on the net to find out a bit about Peter Thorn. I though the answer to the first question was interesting... as I wondered how Don found him. Also, he's not nearly as young as I thought and has quite a resume...

http://bobbyowsinski.com/Band_Improv...w_Excerpt.html
    Last edited by luvthelighthouse; 11-11-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Had to correct the Peters name!

When I was entering the venue last night, I saw JackFM's truck outside the door. On chance they posted an interview, I just checked their site. I don't see an interview, but they have pics! (note the back up singers... creepy... ok, maybe you had to see them live to get that effect)

http://www.bejacksfriend.com/~photos...ley_1.jpg.html

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Nice pics-thanks for the link. I see what you mean about the 2 backup singers, even the pictures are a little strange. You can see in them even how synchronized they were. Weird.

Little confused--is the guitarist's name Chris or Peter Thorn? The link you linked to is for Peter right? He plays with Chris Cornell also? I did a search for Peter and found an official website but doesn't look like it's been updated since 2007 or 2008...
    http://www.peterthorn.com/
    Is this him?
    He sings it high, he plays it low