Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Date for Eagles New Album

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    He told the interviewer at Pebble Beach '2/3/4 months'. The way it stands now it's looking more like it will be towards the end of the year.
    True, but the uncertainty of Glenn's prediction was what I was trying to highlight - where there is uncertainty, there is the likelihood of delay.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I have been reading all the hype and reviews about Paul McCartney's new album Memory Almost Full with interest. One, I like Paul, and two, I was interested to see the standand that reviewers hold Paul to, as a former Beatle who possesses a large body of work. All this has given me an inkling of the pressure the Eagles are facing when they finally release their new album.

Anyway, industry insider Bob Lefsetz wasn't too impressed with Paul's new stuff--as a matter of fact, he hated it. Bob has always been a great supporter of the Eagles, and at the end of his review of Memory Almost Full, he said:

"Why couldn't Paul have called Don Henley, famous for releasing no music before its time. Laboring over it until he believes it's not only beyond satisfactory, but GREAT! Sure, the Eagles might have made a deal with Wal-Mart, their Starbucks, but Henley and company are not going to blow their chance. They're not going to release something subpar like "Memory Almost Full". They wouldn't do that to their fans. They went on tour without new music. Why put out an album that people don't want to buy and don't want to hear live. Make something so good that people WILL embrace it like your old stuff, OR DON'T MAKE ANYTHING AT ALL!"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - great find, DF. And you are right - that is some pedestal that Lefsetz is putting the guys on. While it is extremely flattering on one level that he holds the Eagles in such high regard, he sets the bar pretty high doesn't he. It seems to me that he will be satisfied with nothing less than perfection with the new album. Personally, while I hope the album will be great, I will be happy with a few really good songs. However, I have said before that I do think the critics in general have very high expectations to see if the guys can live up to their 'legacy'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Wow, DF, so you're a Paul McCartney fan too, as well as Elvis! Seems we have three things in common then!

I was interested to read that Paul's album has got so much hype in the States. I read that he was going to release a new album, but it's got absolutely no publicity in South Africa. The same is true for the last album he released ("Creation and Chaos in the Backyard" or something along those lines - I can't even remember the title, and I am a fan, which proves my point ). His "Run Devil Run" album, which I bought, also didn't. Only "Flaming Pie", from 1997, got a little publicity, with the single "Young Boy" getting reasonable airplay.

Sorry, I'm going on about Paul, and this is supposed to be about the Eagles! I can certainly understand what the reviewer was saying, and it says a lot about the musical respect that Don Henley commands, considering what a big star Paul is, and the latter coming off second best in a comparison. I must admit, though, that I wasn't all that impressed with the "Run Devil Run" album - perhaps Paul is riding a bit on past successes; and I say that with the greatest of respect. I've been a big fan of his for 17 years.

I do feel that the Eagles' profile in South Africa is rather low, and should somehow be raised. If I could do it single-handedly, I would. However, if even Paul McCartney is ignored, then there is no hope for South Africans. They really have to work on their taste, but we won't go there...

No wonder neither Paul McCartney nor the Eagles have ever visited these shores.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    It seems to me that he will be satisfied with nothing less than perfection with the new album.....I do think the critics in general have very high expectations to see if the guys can live up to their 'legacy'.
    That's the entire problem in a nutshell. The guys are aware of the tremendous pressure to live up to their legacy, so they are going over and over the new music...but the longer they do that, the more the pressure builds. It's a vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    Wow, DF, so you're a Paul McCartney fan too, as well as Elvis! Seems we have three things in common then!
    Do you love Sting, too? That would make four!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Anyway, industry insider Bob Lefsetz wasn't too impressed with Paul's new stuff--as a matter of fact, he hated it. Bob has always been a great supporter of the Eagles, and at the end of his review of Memory Almost Full, he said:

"Why couldn't Paul have called Don Henley, famous for releasing no music before its time. Laboring over it until he believes it's not only beyond satisfactory, but GREAT! Sure, the Eagles might have made a deal with Wal-Mart, their Starbucks, but Henley and company are not going to blow their chance. They're not going to release something subpar like "Memory Almost Full". They wouldn't do that to their fans. They went on tour without new music. Why put out an album that people don't want to buy and don't want to hear live. Make something so good that people WILL embrace it like your old stuff, OR DON'T MAKE ANYTHING AT ALL!"
    Wow! Thanks for posting this, DF! I sure hope they can live up to it! But can you imagine the pressure? Not just from him (Lefsetz)? But from themselves (the Eagles) and all of us, too? I would probably just fold and give up! Let's hope they don't!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Maybe Lefstez has been talking to Don or Irving Azoff and felt the need to justify what's going on with "the mythical" new Eagles album. I mean, going on and on about what a great idea it is for the Eagles to obsess over something for years seems shakily related to McCartney at best.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for posting that, DF. It does seem as if they will be put under pressure by the music press, but then they have had to cope with that all along. I haven't heard much of Paul McCartney's recent work.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

I could write a whole topic about McCartney's solo work. I went through a period where I was dismissing even albums I used to love, like Flowers In The Dirt. Flaming Pie wasn't bad but I've bought nothing since. Every time I hear some of those substandard tracks he has put out I think 'this is the man who wrote Eleanor Rigby, Hey Jude and YESTERDAY for God's sake'. I don't think the Eagles' new work will be judged as critically. Most 'hip' critics will ignore it because it's the Eagles. I don't like saying that but it's true.