Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Covers of Eagles Songs

Default Re: Covers of Eagles Songs

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    I know this isn't strictly a cover of an Eagles' song but I thought I'd post it as it's pretty cool, I think.

There's a bluegrass festival in Northern Ireland this weekend and Love Canon, an American bluegrass group were on the radio this morning with their bluegrass version of Don's BOS They do covers of 80s music and while I'm a bit particular about Don's songs I think they do a good job.

Be interested to know what others' think
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROr44je20zo
    It's... interesting. Not bad, but I don't think it really conveys the moody intensity of the song in this arrangement.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Diana Krall covers ICTYW and Desperado on her new album.

I listened to ICTYW, and...I like it. I don't want to hear a woman other than Linda sing Desperado, but I'm sure Diana does it justice, didn't listen though.

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/25/378576...all-wallflower

Speaking of covers....this just came into my google alerts -

http://www.noise11.com/news/r-i-p-ch...-2015-20150302

It says we can't watch the video in this country. Brownstone is in VA's list of acts covering the Eagles in the Song Power or What thread. Never heard of them! RIP to Charmayne Maxwell.

Thanks for posting, Mary. That is a sad story. What a freak accident! Brownstone is an American female R&B group that was popular in the nineties. Their version of "I Can't Tell You Why” did well in the US and the UK.

Timothy attended the 1996 American Music Awards on behalf of the Eagles and was presented an award by Brownstone. R.I.P., Charmayne Maxwell.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScKWuM361Ys[/ame]

Stuck on the Border

I went to see Hayseed Dixie last night. They were amazing. They started playing Hotel California, then after "I thought I heard them say", instead of the HC chorus, they went "I'm never gonna dance again; guilty feet have got no rhythm" - the chorus from Careless Whisper. The same after the second verse. I'd never heard that before.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Wow, that's different!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I went to see Hayseed Dixie last night. They were amazing. They started playing Hotel California, then after "I thought I heard them say", instead of the HC chorus, they went "I'm never gonna dance again; guilty feet have got no rhythm" - the chorus from Careless Whisper. The same after the second verse. I'd never heard that before.

Do you think that it's an attempt to get Henley to sue them? ie. a publicity stunt.

It'll make headline news in all the leading music news outlets.

Come to think of it, it could be good publicity for Don's, Cass County too

I'm very "funny" about bands covering that song...very few do it justice (and by justice I mean playing it verbatim and not slaughtering it).

I remember watching Rascal Flatts do that song on the Grammys one year. For one, I can't stand their lead singers voice. AND they totally butchered the solo section. If you are playing HC electrically, you best play those solos and play them dead on. Strumming around on it is fine, but don't bring out the doubleneck and all that jazz if you are going to not play it right. I'd rather hear someone bang out the full chords on acoustic (even without the intro) than improv or butcher the lead solo on electric.

I'm very protective of that song as if it were my own....
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

OK, Chaim, that is weird! I love both songs! Who would think to put them together?? Did they sing the whole chorus of Careless Whisper? It's so bizarre, I'm not even offended! In fact, I'd like to see more random '80s new wave songs combined with Eagles hits haha A little Culture Club maybe?

And SM, I have watched that video but never made the connection to Brownstone - thanks! That would be TBS at his mostest hottest!!! (in addition to 1970-1980 or so). Those ladies must have met him on stage and were like, "Whaaaaat? We need to sing one of THAT GUY'S songs!" Or, maybe their cover was released before this ceremony, I just like to imagine it that way. I will have to check.

Stuck on the Border

I guess I forgot to say this...They ended the concert with a long medley. They started with HC, went to Careless Whisper for the chorus, came back to HC, went to CW again for the chorus. After that they were playing bits of many, many different songs. At some point they came back to the 3rd verse of HC. They also played Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. Didn't even have to transpose it, as it's in B minor. In comfortably Numb they went for a reggae vibe when it comes to "I do believe it's working, good". It was hilarious.
    So it wasn't actually a HC cover, but sort of...

If it had been just humor, it would have been dull in the long run (no pun in tended). But they were fantastic players. I always enjoy humor in music when you can back it up with great playing too. Like Victor Borge.

This is from a couple of months ago. In the beginning of the clip the singer says that it's been evolving every night, so it may not be exactly the same medley we heard here (and I'm not going to listen to the whole clip!), but the Hotel California/Careless Whisper is there. It starts with that. (I love both songs too!! Probably the band does as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jplzz62z7-U