Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I looked up "beautiful cat" in a slang dictionary and found a match:

"someone who gives off a lot of love to the point of romance, you really want to be around them; usually directed at jazz musicians"
    That's Glenn!

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    That's Glenn!
    That's for sure!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yeah, and he had another one in 1994, poor guy. It was so bad they had to cancel shows for a few months while Glenn recovered. Seems to have gotten it under control, though.
    I've always suspected that Timothy's abdominal surgery was also for diverticulitis. It is a side effect of cocaine use. Not accusing these guys of that, of course, but TBS's description of his illness and decision to "not overshare" just made me wonder...Certainly his his recovery was not as long as Glenn's (or my friend's who had the same surgery), so it could be that I'm completely wrong.

when did TBS have abdominal surgery? I didn't know that.

Spring 2010 - Eagles had to cancel some shows. Its probably not cool for me to speculate on someone's health issues.

wow, did not know that. So glad he is much better. I knew about the cancer in Jan. I can not imagine what would go inside your head with that information.

Well...I can tell you. My dad died of cancer at the base of his tongue and throat when I was 16 and he was 49. Honestly the dying relatively young wasn't as bad as the 2 1/2 years of awfulness he spent trying to fight it. It was in 1986 - the treatments are so much better today. Charlie Watts (Stones drummer) survived it...all cases are different. So glad Timothy is good to go!

Thanks for sharing! Loved the account of Poco's first gig.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...ng-guy_25.html

Stuck on the Border

John Hartmann worked for Geffen-Roberts and was the original Eagles manager and later managed Poco. He now writes and teaches about entertainment management.

In this blog, he writes about looking for visual symmetry in a band and writes a little about Eagles:
    Four Peas In A Pod - Eagles
    In early 1971, David Geffen and Elliot Roberts founded one of the first and most successful boutique record companies of all time, Asylum Records. I was the very first employee of the fledgling label and in charge of managing the artists. David's original motivation was to create a home label for legendary singer/songwriter Jackson Browne. However, once in the game they were faced with building a roster of talent to create product to feed into the distribution system. Jackson introduced David to several of his contemporaries, including J.D. Souther and Glenn Frey. David signed Souther as a solo artist, and he suggested that Glenn's should form a band.
    With the help of Linda Ronstadt and her manager/producer, John Boylan, a group was formed, around Glenn, inside Linda's band. The quartet of Glenn, Don Henley, Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon became the founding members of the Eagles. They went on to become Asylum's most successful artists with immediate success out of the box, and a sustaining catalog of hit albums and singles. This band had symmetry. They were all skinny, long-haired, twenty somethings who looked exactly like their audience. Their handsome good looks projected a strong visual image.
    The pattern had been set a decade before by The Beatles who also projected symmetry in their appearance.
    The Eagles incorporated a similar symmetry into their look without compromising their individuality. There was no uniform dress code, but their was an instinctive choice to lean toward their country rock roots. When they walked on stage, or down the street, they looked like they belonged together. They never intentionally copied one an other's style, but what they each chose to wear matched their personality and the role they played in the band. The symmetry was beautiful and even though they didn't look alike, they were four peas in a pod.
    http://theholodigm.blogspot.co.uk/20...ry-august.html

Here's a testimonial from Glenn:
    John has an acute memory and an incredible ability to share information. You can feel the sincerity coming from every cell in his body. John is of the earth and the cosmos. He is of the past and the future. He was at the very first Eagles rehearsal and I actually got him to be one of my mentors and teachers.

John was a purveyor of great wisdom and encouragement. He was so much more than a manager. John is a dear soul and we are all fortunate to have had him be a part of our lives. There is a reason that he is Professor of the Year; it's because of his contagious enthusiasm and his willingness to share all that he knows and all that he doesn't know.
    http://www.holodigmmusic.com/index-s...g=testimonials
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 09-22-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Very interesting! Thanks for digging this up, UTW!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten