Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Default Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

It's interesting to look at old mentions of the band and see how things have changed, isn't it? Here's a thread for that!

People Magazine - January 15, 1990

BANDING BIRDS

Although their representatives won't confirm it, sources close to Glenn Frey and Don Henley say the two former Eagles will meet later this month and begin writing songs together with an eye toward an album and a possible tour.

Frey and Henley co-founded the Eagles in 1971 and remained the principal songwriters in the band until its demise in 1982. Both musicians prospered as solo artists during the '80s, but the sum of the parts never quite equaled the success of the whole.

Henley, whose most recent album was The End of the Innocence, is concluding a tour of Japan and Taiwan. Frey for the past several years has been battling diverticulitis, an intestinal inflammation, and underwent surgery just before Christmas to have two inches of his intestine removed. He spent the holidays recuperating at his mother's house in Florida but plans to get together with Henley as soon as he's up and around.

It's expected that the other former Eagles, including guitarist Joe Walsh, will not be in on the reunion effort.

[OK, that makes no sense. If the other former Eagles aren't in on the reunion effort - who's going to do it besides Glenn and Don??? Oh well, moot point, eh? And I didn't realize Glenn had his first surgery right before Christmas in 1989. Yikes!]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro!

lol Maybe they meant that the other Eagles wouldn't be involved in that initial meeting/reunion attempt betwee Don and Glenn. Who knows

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Sure am glad Tim, Don F., and Joe busted that meeting!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Wow I didn't know Glenn had surgery.
    Oh they tell me there is a place over younder cool water running through the burning sand until we learn to love one another we will never reach the promised land. Hole In The World 2001

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Yeah, and he had another one in 1994, poor guy. It was so bad they had to cancel shows for a few months while Glenn recovered. Seems to have gotten it under control, though.

That's awful, but of coarse he is okay now, and that's the best thing.
    Oh they tell me there is a place over younder cool water running through the burning sand until we learn to love one another we will never reach the promised land. Hole In The World 2001

This story about the Eagles' softball game is too cute! And I think it's lucky for Deacon that Glenn was too busy touring to coach any Little League team, if his behavior here is any indication.

Circus Magazine - 1976

THE EAGLES FAIL TO SCORE
    Though failures on the baseball diamond, the Eagles are still scoring hit after chart-busting hit

Standing beneath the blazing sun of the Sierra Madre Mountains, Joe Walsh is winding up for a pitch. It's a base hit for the opposing San Francisco Radio team. The Eagles' first home softball game of the season is underway.

The event appears to have gathered more Mercedes and Jaguars than spectators. A modest bystander asks if the Eagles are a local baseball team. The guys in the band laugh and joke about adopting a team name; Marconi's Fault is suggested but not finalized.

Between innings Joe Walsh divulges the reason for the team's formation. "We had to do something when we weren't on the road; we were all turning into jellyfish."

It's the bottom of the fifth inning and it looks bad for the Eagles. The scoreboard reads 7-2, but it ain't easy to keep a good Eagle down. Back in Georgia the band was constantly losing games to their own road crew. Singer/songwriter Andrew Gold - who opened for the Eagles - took a chance and placed his bet on the underdog team. He was promised twenty dollars from seven different people if the Eagles were to triumph. When the game was won the Eagles walked away elated and Gold walked away $140 richer.

Back at the old Sierra Madre ballgame there's an aura of intense competition in the air. First baseman Glenn Frey is busy boisterously bellowing "He's safe! He's out!"

When the inning is over Frey takes a moment's break in the bullpen and confides, "When I'm 40 I hope to have a ten-year-old son so I can coach his team." An active athlete, Glenn muses over his recollection that at the age of 13 his fellow little leaguers continued to grow while he stopped short at a modest 5'9''. "God didn't endow me with legs long enough for professional sports but he did give me the gift of music." He readily admits his musical talents make it easier for him to get along with the ladies.

The game climaxes in the ninth inning when a pop fly is hit to center field by the opposing team. Eagles rush in from all directions and in the turmoil two men manage to hit second base. A heated argument breaks out and the Eagles girlfriends/cheerleaders root for their men from the sidelines. From inside the 18-man huddle obscenities can be heard, Glenn Frey's voice rising above all the rest.

The commotion eventually dies down and the game resumes, but all hope for the Eagles is lost. They are finally defeated 12 to 7.

If rock stars play baseball for pleasure, what do baseball stars do for a chance of pace? Wasn't Maury Wills of the Dodgers the first man to publicly play his guitar through a wah-wah pedal? Like Glenn Frey says, "Baseball is the American Way." These days, most people would admit, so is rock'n'roll.

I like that

I'm really enjoying these old articles!

Here's a link to the Rolling Stone article from the issue they were on the cover of in 1975.
    http://www.cameroncrowe.com/eyes_ear...gles_chip.html