Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    This is from 1975 and it has Glenn talking about the writing process, praising Don Felder effusively and jamming with Neil Young.
    http://justbackdated.blogspot.co.uk/...s-in-1975.html

I just posted a picture from ebay of a dutch magazine, and I think this could be the story that appears in that magazine. (You don't need to know dutch to recognise that the paragraphs on Felder's slide are saying the same thing)
    Thanks for the post. Interesting stuff, there.
    I read that blog with some degree of defensiveness, if only because it seemed that the writer was implying that Eagles were less than nice guys. Then I clicked on the Joe Walsh story from the sidebar, in which he refers to Joe as "affable" and hopes it rubs off on the rest of Eagles members. No mistaking that one!
    Ah, well. I'll just let it ride...

Stuck on the Border

The writer may have found the Eagles slightly hostile, but he doesn't let it show in his interview and he gets some good comments from Glenn.

I'd missed the Joe Walsh interview. Knowing that he joined the Eagles not long afterwards, you can see his motivation for doing so. Here's the direct link:
    http://justbackdated.blogspot.co.uk/...pril-1975.html

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

This is from 1975 and it has Glenn talking about the writing process, praising Don Felder effusively and jamming with Neil Young.
    http://justbackdated.blogspot.co.uk/...s-in-1975.html

I just posted a picture from ebay of a dutch magazine, and I think this could be the story that appears in that magazine. (You don't need to know dutch to recognise that the paragraphs on Felder's slide are saying the same thing)
    I enjoyed that! Thanks UtW!

The writer may have found the Eagles slightly hostile, but he doesn't let it show in his interview and he gets some good comments from Glenn.

I'd missed the Joe Walsh interview. Knowing that he joined the Eagles not long afterwards, you can see his motivation for doing so. Here's the direct link:
    http://justbackdated.blogspot.co.uk/...pril-1975.html
    Loved this line from Joe!

“I don’t think the audience would let me phase out the older material, though I would love to not play ‘Funk 49’ anymore."

From April, 1975! Bet he's even sicker of it now, 40 years later! I know he says in some shows that if he would have known he was going to have to play some of these songs the rest of his life he would have written something different!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Love reading these older interviews!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Pulling out a few quotes from the above interviews:

Joe
    It was a strain getting a whole new group together, as Brian was the only one remotely familiar with playing my material live. It seemed like the millionth time I’d taught ‘Funk 49’ to somebody, so trying to put new energy into it and keep it fresh was a struggle.

It was the first time I’ve ever been alone in the studio and although it was good, I probably won’t want to do it again. I guess I wanted to get the quote – solo – unquote, album out of my system. It’s about one third a group and two-thirds solo.

In the studio I’ll give everybody a chance to create and add whatever is in their heads. I try and be be fair to everybody otherwise the band gets weak. If you don’t give a band more involvement then they don’t add more involvement.

Unless other musicians can relate and add to what’s going down then it can’t be a group. I don’t think I’ve ever hit the chemistry yet. Barnstorm was real close though.

The new group, says Joe, has the potential to be his best yet though this stage hasn’t been reached.

Take that in the context of his Eagles interviews where he talks about "chemistry" and "being in a real band" and maybe it explains why he decided to join the Eagles.

From the interview with Glenn:
    Frey’s song, ‘Best Of My Love’, undoubtedly gave On The Border sales a boost. It was, he says, an attempt to work off a guitar tuning that Joni Mitchell had demonstrated. “Actually, I got into a totally different tuning and that’s how the song ended up. “I had a little help from John David Souther who worked on the bridge and rang me up from LA when I was in England to play it over the phone. We actually worked on it over the phone until he came to England to see us.

Because it's sung by Don, I've always thought of it as primarily his song but this makes me wonder at what point he became involved and how they decided who should sing it. And yes, I wondering who's wishing who the best of his love.

Is the bridge "I'm going back in time and it's a sweet dream..."?

I heard that the song evolved from Glenn trying to replicate the tuning that Joni Mitchell had shown him, but I had never heard that he had such a major role in writing it.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I always assumed Don wrote more of it than Glenn since he sang it, but evidently not. No matter, love it!

Interesting!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I [was] wondering who's wishing who the best of his love.

Is the bridge "I'm going back in time and it's a sweet dream..."?
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Yes, that's the bridge - though many British people refer to it as the middle eight. Same thing, different terminology.

Don H. reportedly wrote that song for an actress girlfriend named (I believe) Suzanne Martin. I've never seen a photo of her, but judging by his other dames, she was probably a stunner

Stuck on the Border

New article but looking back at 1979 and a benefit arranged for Jerry Brown. I think the original article is linked to earlier in this thread.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/politic...124-story.html

I always wondered about the wisdom of a politician having fundraisers featuring people who were (then) openly flouting drug laws on a regular basis. Oh well, it doesn't seem to have hurt him too much, eh?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten