Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

This NYT article, “Dark Songs by California’s Eagles” is from Jan. 9, 1977 and gives an overview of the band’s albums up to 1977. There are some interesting, insightful comments, especially these two passages:

The Eagles have their flaws. They can sometimes be silly and self‐pitying and take themselves much too seriously. There is the added curiosity that in a band of five writers, no one has managed to come up with an even remotely happy love song or anything intentionally funny. But that is really beside the point. The Eagles make good music which is no less stylish and intelligent for being straightforward, which is sometimes the hardest style of all.

On this album, they are growing up. They don't seem to like the idea very much (what future is there in rock for an adult?) so that through all the songs there hovers a question of where do they go from here. It also gives their work a touching quality that transcends any given topic and which is at variance with its frequently tough tone. Their original innocence is completely gone, however blind or contrived it may have been in the first place. What's left is music that is singable, danceable and listenable. That's quite enough.
    https://www.nytimes.com/1977/01/09/a...-songs-of.html

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Out on the Border

Thanks for this . Great article (although I love "Out Of Control").
    Last edited by priscillaupstate; 05-15-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Great find, Delilah! Very good read.

Stuck on the Border

Wow, great find Delilah. Thanks. I can't believe the NYT gave the Eagles a good review. Who would have thought that from a NY newspaper.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great article! Thanks Delilah!

(what future is there in rock for an adult?)

Well, I guess they proved that line wrong over the coming years! As well as did the rest of us who still love rock!

And Out of Control is one of my very favorites too!

https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Thanks Delilah!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post

(what future is there in rock for an adult?)

Yes, it really is staggering how the musical landscape has changed, hasn't it? Most of the biggest acts in rock are nigh on retirement age!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I think about some of the lyrics sometimes and wonder if they're embarrassed to get up on stage and sing those songs now. They were so young when they were written!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I had a gut busting laugh at that comment about rock and being an adult. If loving rock music is being a child, then I don't want to be an adult, lol. I like lighthearted fun music. I don't look for anything deep. In fact, deep music tends to bum me out, and I tend to be very sensitive to sad music and so I avoid it at all costs. I want music to pump me up, or at least lift my spirits. I can't listen to Nirvana. It's too dark for me.

They shouldn't be embarrassed, even if some of the lyrics contain innuendos, double entendres or "youthful spirit". I'm currently waiting for AC/DC to reform as they are going to get back together with Brian Johnson. There is nothing better than hearing "You Shook Me All Night Long" at 100 decibels front row live at their concert. It's one of the most exciting adrenaline rush experiences I've ever had. It was amazing.

Rock n' roll has no age limit. You can be a rocker at any age. Contrarily though, if it's too loud or too much for you, you might be too old or just too stuffy. Sorry!
    Rock n' roll music is the best music. I might be biased but to me if you can't get down to "Thunderstruck" or "Paradise City" at least every once in awhile, there's something wrong with ya!

I've been told plenty of times by people I don't even know that well that when I get older that I will stop listening to hard rock and listen to more deep, thoughtful lyric music or mellow genres. I know that's a lie. There are people in their 50s and 60s, who still love every word to "Sweet Emotion" and "Brown Sugar" and still go to concerts. And my parents certainly aren't to that stage yet, and they are in their 50s. So I fully plan to still be headbanging to some AC/DC when I'm 70. In fact the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac are about as tame as I tend to go in music, and they still have their hard rockin' moments. To me rock n' roll is a way of life.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Very Well Put, Austin, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Very Well Put, Austin, I agree.
    Thanks, EL!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."