Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Happy Holidays

Ahhh.....its nice to sit down for a little while!!!

Sounds like you've all had an interesting Christmas....well apart from Molly

Christmas was good here, we had our presents on Christmas Eve after eating lots of food. I got some nice presents, including three Jackson Browne albums from my boyfriend, Chris. Then on Christmas Day we went to Chris' family and we had presents there as well and I got two more JB albums....so here sits a very happy lass currently listening to Looking East

As ever I also have loads of chocolates and this year I even have a bottle of wine from Chris' brother....I think we'll share that tonight over dinner

It is so nice to be back in my own house after a week. My mom moved from the hospital to the rehab facility yesterday so I came back home for a day or two to regroup. Laundry is piled up to the ceiling here and our new kitten, Muffin, has knocked numerous Christmas decorations off our Christmas tree while we have been gone, but I'm still glad to be in my own house again.

I loved your descriptions of how slowly time passes at in-laws houses--it passes even more slowly if you are sitting around the hospital! Talk about zzzzzz's....unless it is in the middle of the night, when you WANT to sleep--then the nurses come in at 3 a.m. each morning to check blood pressure and 4 :30 a.m. to draw blood! UGH.

I loved reading about all your Christmases.
    Molly, how nice that your hub gave you that Eagles poster! I would've been so surprised too.
    TimFan, congrats on your hard-earned "A".
    GEF, I know I have heard the term before, but exactly what is "boxing day"?

Nancy, I'm sorry your sisters are giving you a hard time about dating, being married, etc. My sister and I don't see eye-to-eye about anything either. She is 10 years younger than me and even though she is engaged, they don't plan on having any children, so she can't understand how hard it is to share my time with my two daughters, my husband, and our ailing mother. I am doing the best I can to be everywhere at once, and when I get a few minutes on a computer and I go on this site, she makes fun of what she calls my "attachment to the Eagles." Some people just don't get it, y'know?

Stuck on the Border

Here's a link about Boxing Day for our American friends.

http://www.factmonster.com/spot/boxingday1.html

My Christmas passed almost without incident and I stayed pretty much sober. I wish I led a more interesting life but who knows, maybe it's for the best.

Stuck on the Border

Dana, more good news. Try to find time to get some rest and take care of yourself.

DF, I can only imagine how nice it is to be home for a while even with the mound of laundry. Glad to hear that Mom is progressing so well. I predict she will be dancing at the Sweetheart's Ball in February!
    I am not an island
    I am not alone
    I am my intentions
    Trapped here in this flesh and bone

Thanks for the link, Julie. Boxing Day sounds like a tradition that we should adopt over here, too.

It's fun reading about your Christmases. TL, sounds like you'll be in for a Jacksonfest over the next few days.
    Dana, I'm glad your mother is making progress. Rehab is my line of work so I can picture her with those physios! You must try and post a picture of Muffin one day.
    Julie, thanks for that link about Boxing Day. I didn't know there were different theories. We've always assumed it derived from giving a Christmas 'box' (gift) to the postman, dustmen, milkman etc.
    My hubby is back to work now. I also have a huge mound of washing and ironing to sort out, and will have to brave the sales as our microwave blew up when we tried to heat up the Christmas pudding!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Speaking of Christmas cds, when we got in the car on Christmas Eve to go to my parents house the radio came on and Take It Easy was starting up! Any other groups song and I would have turned on a Christmas cd without hesitation! But I just had to listen to the Eagles first for the 10 minute drive!

Then, coming home on Christmas day from hubby's mom's blitz (65 + people from 1 month old to 79 years old in one tiny house ) PEF came on. A nice way to end the chaos!

All in all, we had a nice Christmas. Hubby gave me a beautiful ruby ring, necklace and earrings. I also got leather gloves, birdhouse, birdbath heater, (love watching them), Longaberger basket, sweatshirt, Little Big Town cd, fiestaware, fluffy socks and a lovely quilt handmade by hubby's mother. He has 9 brothers and sisters and she has given each one one at random over the years. We were next to last in getting one. (Hopefully that doesn't mean we are next to last on her favorites list! ) It was a big surprise and it will be a lovely heirloom.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Sounds like a wild Christmas, Brooke! But a good one. That Boxing Day tradition does sound like a nice one. It's good to remember the folks like the mailmen who often get overlooked for their service.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Romantic presents from your hubby, Brooke. Mine are usually very practical - coffee maker, bread maker, that sort of thing!
    To add, I had a radio moment this morning, The Heat Is On, just as I got out of the shower!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...