Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remastered Eagles' CDs

Default Remastered Eagles' CDs

Firstly, apologies if the mods think this should be in another section of the forum. If so, please remove to a more appropriate place.

I've 'liked' the Eagles for a long time (got the cassette of 'Greatest Hits' to prove it), but completely fell in love with them about 18 months ago when I bought 'LROOE'. Wouldn't say I'm obsessive about them, but I do play their music (and that of Tim and Don) almost exclusively.

I now want to buy their early stuff (Desperado, One of these nights, Eagles, On the border, Eagles Live, and The long run). Some, if not all of the albums, have been digitally remastered, and I'm debating if they are worth the extra money, as opposed to the cheaper 'original model'.

My stereo system, while being a very good model when it was bought, is now at least 20 years old, and is unlikely to be replaced in the foreseeable future. And most of the time I play my music on my laptop anyway, as the stereo is in another room.

The cost difference isn't that great for one CD, but when you multiply roughly $3.75 by 6 it does start to add up.

I would appreciate the opinions of other FMs.

Default Re: Remastered Eagles' CDs

It seems some re-mastered CDs are over-hyped and don't make that much of a big difference to the listener, especially a listener with an old player. Sometimes I think all the "remasters" they put out are simply ways to trick fans into buying the same albums over and over again. However, without comparing them side by side, I can't really say how much of a discernible difference there is in sound quality.

Have you thought about getting the box set (linked below)? I have it and it's a terrific way to get the whole catalog at once - it includes all the original album artwork - even posters!

http://www.amazon.com/Asylum-Album-B...0171503&sr=8-1

It doesn't include Hell Freezes Over, though (nor LROOE, obviously).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thank you for your thoughts Soda.
    Following your suggestion, I've spent the last couple of hours debating getting the boxed set. Much as I would love to get the set, I don't think I can justify the extra cost, especially when so many charities could put the 'dollar difference' to such good use.
    On the other hand I could still indulge myself, and send off the 'dollar difference' as penance.
    I might have to think about this for another couple of hours.
    and I did spend more than that on a Barry Manilow boxed set in my (slightly) younger days. (Not quite sure which smilie is suitable after such a confession!)

Eat Drink and be Merry. You will be judged by the toys you accumulate <LOL>

MikeA

Out on the Border

I don't know if this is how it is everywhere else, but my local Walmart has all of the remastered Eagles 70's studio CDs, except Hotel California, for $7.00 each. I thought this was a pretty good deal considering they are at least $12.00-$18.00 at other stores. So I now have every 70's album.

Thanks Cosmic Cowboy - and welcome!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

You could also trawl around eBay. Its easy to pick up an album for as little as $1.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

The 2-CD set called The Very Best of the Eagles has a nice selection of old hits. It might be a good Christmas choice, too.

Well, I thought and then I thought some more, and after deciding that the airfare to Cowboy's local Walmart would probably negate any savings on the CDs , I opted for the cheaper option of the un-mastered CDs.
    Much as I would have loved the box set, I wanted Disney's Peter Pan, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty too, and there is only so much money I can sneak out of hubby's account before he notices.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

Out on the Border

I have just sold my originals on ebay so I could buy the Remasters.
    They definately sound better. But why is it so difficult to track down
    Hotel California as a remaster