Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones

Default Re: The Rolling Stones

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. Just because The Stones were late that means they are divas? Traffic Problems or Flight Delays could have caused it!
    Any entertainer/band who doesn't go on stage at the scheduled time (to within a few minutes) is sticking two fingers up at their audience who have often paid hard-earned cash for their tickets, transport to and from the venue, and even baby-sitters. To cause people to possibly miss transport connections and get involved with further expense is just not on.

I would agree that sometimes there may be extenuating circumstances, but I would expect an apology to be announced along with the reason for the delay.

However to say that perhaps traffic problems (in a city in which the Stones have been playing for 50 years so they know what London traffic is like) or flight delays were responsible for this particular late start is just ridiculous. It's not as if they're on a world tour and had had to fly in from Australia that afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by UK TimFan View Post
    Any entertainer/band who doesn't go on stage at the scheduled time (to within a few minutes) is sticking two fingers up at their audience who have often paid hard-earned cash for their tickets, transport to and from the venue, and even baby-sitters. To cause people to possibly miss transport connections and get involved with further expense is just not on.

I would agree that sometimes there may be extenuating circumstances, but I would expect an apology to be announced along with the reason for the delay.

However to say that perhaps traffic problems (in a city in which the Stones have been playing for 50 years so they know what London traffic is like) or flight delays were responsible for this particular late start is just ridiculous. It's not as if they're on a world tour and had had to fly in from Australia that afternoon.

I find it ridiculous that you're bashing them just because they were late! Good grief

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I find it ridiculous that you're bashing them just because they were late! Good grief
    If you carefully read the post of mine which you quoted you will see I said
    Any entertainer/band who doesn't go on stage at the scheduled time (to within a few minutes) is sticking two fingers up at their audience who have often paid hard-earned cash for their tickets
    so I am not 'bashing' the Stones in particular.
    I was making a comment about anyone guilty of this crime. (I believe Madonna is another.)

Some years ago I remember Donny Osmond saying that in his early years of fame as a solo singer he was so fed up with singing 'Puppy love' that he used to mess around and sing the wrong words and notes when he was performing. Some wise person eventually pointed out to him that it was that song, bought by his fans, which had given him his wealth/lifestyle, and that he owed it to his fans to respect them by singing it properly.

Similarly, performers owe it to the fans who have bought their records, and often paid through the nose for concert tickets, to show them respect by getting their butts on stage on time. IMO.

Concert delays are not always the performers being late. There are many reasons a show can start late...transportation, security issues, technical problems. Things don't always run on an exact schedule. Shit happens, & it's not always the artists fault!

I still cannot understand that a venue as large as a place like the O2 cannot arrange for metro services to be extended a half hour or so? It takes a bit of time for a thousands of people to even leave the venue, so why isn't it arranged ahead of time to extend service when a huge concert is being held?? They make plenty of money off these concerts, so the people attending should be accounted for. The whole idea to end transit service so early is just ridiculous.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

This sheds a bit more light on the whole curfew thing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...rock-band.html

Looks like transportation and the venue did their best to accommodate the concert goers.

Sounds like it was an AWESOME concert from guys who range in age from 63-76--doing 2 1/2 hours!! Go Stones!!!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very cool, too, that they let Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor play too! What a concert!

I do think they should have started on time, but who knows what the problem was! Could have been no telling what. We'll probably never know.

And I think that the public transport should have stayed open until the show was over, no matter how long that took.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I still cannot understand that a venue as large as a place like the O2 cannot arrange for metro services to be extended a half hour or so? It takes a bit of time for a thousands of people to even leave the venue, so why isn't it arranged ahead of time to extend service when a huge concert is being held?? They make plenty of money off these concerts, so the people attending should be accounted for. The whole idea to end transit service so early is just ridiculous.
    Have you looked at a map to see where the O2 is sited?
    If it was in central London, then the metro services would be running quite a bit later, with more stations nearby. It's mainly because of where it is that the services end so early. Almost at the end of the line in an eastbound direction, to say nothing of there being only the one metro line to serve it.

It's also not just a case of 'extend it half an hour or so'. It sounds as if they did extend it to a degree - no doubt based on the show finishing at the planned time of 10.30. If the Stones then cause the show to finish even later are (a) the metro staff and (b) other passengers on the train supposed to sit and be further inconvenienced?

It's worth remembering that the building which now houses the 02 was never built as a concert venue.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millenn...e_Dome_project
    After its initial use it was supposed to become a football stadium, where people would be leaving the ground by about 9.45 at the latest - and that probably no more than twice a month.
    The irony is that the O2 seems to have taken over the arena aspect of the old London arena, which according to Wikipedia "never managed to become a financial success, in part due to its fairly poor transport access".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Very cool, too, that they let Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor play too! What a concert!

I do think they should have started on time, but who knows what the problem was! Could have been no telling what. We'll probably never know.

And I think that the public transport should have stayed open until the show
    was over, no matter how long that took.
    So if you're a metro worker expecting to finish work at say midnight (which would be about the time if you were driving the last train westbound) or manning one of the stations en route until all the trains have passed through and passengers disembarked, what would your reaction be when suddenly told an hour before you were supposed to finish that you had to work at least an extra hour, possibly more, because some band had over-run their performance?

There is also the safety aspect. I know lorry drivers in the UK are limited to the numbers of hours they can legally drive in a day and they are not allowed to go even a minute over without severe consequences. The same might apply to the metro drivers. In which case if your shift is scheduled to end at midnight because you've reached your hours, then that's when it has to end.

Out of interest, as I know the Stones are back at the O2 tonight, I've just checked the Transport for London website.
    I usually have praise for it, but I've now decided that it's useless. It all depends what departure time you enter as to what 'latest departure' you get. to say nothing of

It would appear that tonight there are westbound trains (i.e. going into central London) departing every 3-6 minutes until 11.54, and then there are three more trains after midnight.

This Sunday (2nd Dec) Elbow are due on stage at the O2 at 8.45, and trains depart westbound until 11.45. Which I would think would have been the case last Sunday.

I apologise for earlier giving misleading information about the trains, but the details were posted in good faith. They were also based on 'going to the end of the line, whereas when I searched for tonight's times I entered a shorter journey.

(I admit that I was gobsmacked with my previous findings about the trains running from the O2 allegedly finishing quite so early in the evening, and in fact I double-checked everything. It was unfortunate that every time I checked I pressed the wrong buttons, so I always got duff gen.)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by UK TimFan View Post
    So if you're a metro worker expecting to finish work at say midnight (which would be about the time if you were driving the last train westbound) or manning one of the stations en route until all the trains have passed through and passengers disembarked, what would your reaction be when suddenly told an hour before you were supposed to finish that you had to work at least an extra hour, possibly more, because some band had over-run their performance?

There is also the safety aspect. I know lorry drivers in the UK are limited to the numbers of hours they can legally drive in a day and they are not allowed to go even a minute over without severe consequences. The same might apply to the metro drivers. In which case if your shift is scheduled to end at midnight because you've reached your hours, then that's when it has to end.
    I do see your points, UKTF.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten