Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

Default Re: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

I also like Marc Eliot's comment about Try and Love Again. The song is exceptional and has a lot of emotion in the song. It is very under-rated on the HC album. If it had been released as a single, it would have been a hit single. As far as being better or worse than the others that were released, that is a matter of opinion. All the songs were good, it just depends on what you like better.

MC, I agree with you about Don Felder. He wasn't the best singer with the Eagles (but all of these guys were exceptional singers) but he does have a good voice and does sing very well on his solo albums. There is no reason to say that he is not a singer.

The HC album was perfect as it was released, it needed no more or no less.

This my opinion, not to be taken any other way.

Stuck on the Border

Have you heard the Road To Forever album?

Felder can sing in tune but he cannot 'sell a song'. He is workmanlike, at best. Please note this is only my opinion. I agree that he should be given credit for going out & giving it a shot, but I am never going to pretend that he is particularly good at it.

As for TALA it is impossible to say with certainty that it would have been a hit single. It may have been.

Again, everyone has an opinion!!!

Of course we must remember that the appeal of a vocal is largely subjective. Some people disparage Stevie Nicks' voice but I think she's one of the most compelling there is. In the same way, some people like Felder's voice more than others.

In the case of Felder, my personal opinion is that he has a gritty quality to his voice that certainly can appeal to many. I have bought both of his solo albums and traveled several hours to attend a solo show. I would do so again.

However, I do not feel his voice has the same distinctiveness as his fellow Eagles and I think he does suffer in comparison. That's JMHO though.

If you'd like to hear him sing VoL, you can find him doing it live on YouTube. Judge for yourself.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Good comment, Soda. A lot of things in life are subjective. To each his own.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

His minor-key mourning of the end of one life while looking toward another with the hope of getting beyond, if not over, the disappointment and disillusionment of love lost is gorgeously rendered. Accompanied by Glenn Frey's superb lead guitar, the song is full of classic American rock heartbreak. In many ways, it is the sleeper gem of the album.
    I also agree with Marc Eliot's quote regarding T&LA. I really do love the song very much, but I can understand why it wasn't released as a single at the time. I have definitely come to appreciate it much more with time, along with all of the other songs on Side Two of the album.

With regard to Felder's vocal abilities I don't think he has a bad voice at all. But, it's not that strong compared to the other members in the band. It's pretty much the same with Glenn's guitar abilities. He is a really good guitarist, but his skills were definitely overshadowed by Joe and Felder.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Of course we must remember that the appeal of a vocal is largely subjective. Some people disparage Stevie Nicks' voice
    Blasphemy!!

Stevie Nicks has one of the most beautiful and unique voices I have every heard. Even when she sings back up her voice is so distinct.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRandy View Post
    I also believe that when you like the person, their singing is more appealing to you than if you don't like them at all.
    Certainly; appreciation of talent is a subjective undertaking. Someone can possess talent which is universally or objectively definable, but in terms of what is best/worst, good/bad all depends on one's orientation to said subject. I say this because I get into it with guys on a regular basis in the eternal debate regarding Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin (aka Classic Yes vs. YesWest).

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I feel I should point out that the songwriting credit for VOL is Felder/Souther/Henley/Frey.
    Wasn't sure if you were addressing this to me? That's precisely why I made the comment I did, because of the involvement of all four in the writing and arranging of the song.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Banned

You are knowledgeable Luna65, nice having you here.