Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Out on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Would HC be the first studio album ever to have every song off the album represented on a compilation in either studio or live version's?View Complete Works listing.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As I replied in the other thread that you started, the 'Selected Works' compilation is the band's only such release to include all the songs off of an entire album, which, in this case, is Hotel California.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy 43rd Birthday to Hotel California. Looking forward to seeing the Hotel California tour last year a week after my birthday.

Happy Belated 43rd Birthday to New Kid In Town on yesterday.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Part for part, the best album the Eagles ever made, objectively and subjectively speaking. Their true concept album masterpiece IMO. Rock n' roll music has a much broader audience than country music and there is no surprise that their new more accessible classic rock sound took them to heights they'd never dreamed, despite having success with the previous albums. Even Hillary Clinton in her interview with Howard Stern last week talked about how she loved rock music. I was surprised but it was just another reason to love her. I think it just shows that while some really do love old country music, it had a much smaller fanbase than straight-down-the-pike rock and roll. People that were country could like it, and city people could. Just goes to show that rock and roll reaches far more people than country, at least until country started shifting into a more palatable sound that incorporated rock and pop and rnb music influences. Now country is huge, but back then when you had Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings, the Eagles in their full on classic AOR rock period was far easier on the ears and rock didn't paint you into a redneck, small town frame of mind. It could appeal to all types that were open to it. It was fun and lighthearted for the most part. For me I'll take that every day over deep, thought-provoking lyric and slow music. HC had it's two or so ballads, but mostly had a rock sound, even NKIT was far more soft rock to me than country/country rock.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Troubadour

Art is entirely subjective though, it isn't a definite binary that can be determined better or worse. I don't care if a larger range of people like something - you're an individual, who gives one what someone else likes; more generally you only have to look at politics both in the UK and US over the past half decade to ascertain that just because a lot of people endorse something doesn't mean it's actually good!

I enjoy the deeper, more complex emotional elements to music - Western society in general is so trite and shallow these days we need an escape with a bit of depth and colour - hence my enjoyment of everything from Bob Dylan via the Eagles to Bathory, and my utter disdain for vapid tosh like *hitesnake and Bon Jovi.

But that's just my opinion. No right nor wrong. There is no hierarchy nor meritocracy to music. It's the widest expanse of art in the entire world. And just as Dali wasn't Constable, the Carter Family isn't Florida Georgia Line; nor is Desperado Hotel California. Neither should be admonished for that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Art is entirely subjective though, it isn't a definite binary that can be determined better or worse. I don't care if a larger range of people like something - you're an individual, who gives one what someone else likes; more generally you only have to look at politics both in the UK and US over the past half decade to ascertain that just because a lot of people endorse something doesn't mean it's actually good!

I enjoy the deeper, more complex emotional elements to music - Western society in general is so trite and shallow these days we need an escape with a bit of depth and colour - hence my enjoyment of everything from Bob Dylan via the Eagles to Bathory, and my utter disdain for vapid tosh like *hitesnake and Bon Jovi.

But that's just my opinion. No right nor wrong. There is no hierarchy nor meritocracy to music. It's the widest expanse of art in the entire world. And just as Dali wasn't Constable, the Carter Family isn't Florida Georgia Line; nor is Desperado Hotel California. Neither should be admonished for that fact.
    As far as the "just because a lot of people endorse something doesn't mean it's actually good" comment - you determining it that way is, actually, also subjective. So there's that!And I actually agree with you on the state of politics in the US! It's like those who bash popular music. In my opinion for a song to be a hit, people must like it. If that many people like it, it must at the very least be legit to some. I may hate it.

To me my head is already such a deep and complex place, I look to the shallow and trite to get an escape. Music to me is entertainment, and not as much art. Entertainment should be uplifting, not something that bums you out. Comedians are trying to get you out of your head space. That's what music should be, IMO. TEHO. But to me I see it as entertainment in the same fashion a movie might be. There is some damn good "art" in making people laugh or have fun. It seems easier on the surface than it actually is. Just ask any comedian who's done it. Sometimes you fall on your face. But those who can are just as legit.

And just to clear the air, I'm definitely more in the Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Florida Georgia Line, and Hotel California camp!

At least here in the US - things are already very deep. Yes, shallow, but a lot of stress. I look to music as a way to think less, not more. An escape, like you said, but an escape to be less melancholy and serious.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    As far as the "just because a lot of people endorse something doesn't mean it's actually good" comment - you determining it that way is, actually, also subjective. So there's that!
    Except that I did not qualify whether or not I agreed with any of it being 'actually good', it is a widespread acknowledgment that millions do not. So there's that!

Anyway, bored of all this now. Same tiresome arguments, different day. I'm off for a while.

Ta.
    Last edited by thelastresort; 12-08-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Plural!

Except that I did not qualify whether or not I agreed with any of it being 'actually good', it is a widespread acknowledgment that millions do not. So there's that!

Anyway, bored of all this now. Same tiresome argument, different day. I'm off for a while.

Ta.
    I sent you a PM explaining what I meant as not to derail this thread.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 12-08-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Good grief! Why can’t people simply enjoy music without being stereotyped and categorized in neat little boxes? It’s very telling when it’s not enough to say, “I don’t care for that genre of music” but it must go farther than that with digs at those enjoy that genre.

FWIW, Merle Haggard is generally considered a legend, a status that I cannot imagine will ever be bestowed on Bon Jovi or Whitesnake.

And Hillary Clinton is 72 years old! Her generation came of age in the classic rock era.

Anyway, bored of all this now. Same tiresome arguments, different day. I'm off for a while.

Ta.
    Same here.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

A landmark album!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten