Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Regarding Glenn's vocals, I seem to remember on the HOTE doc he made a point of mentioning how Don increasingly became the voice of the Eagles, and he seemed fairly OK and at ease with that fact. Do people think that was his honest feeling or deep down do you think he wishes there was more of a split from OOTN onwards? Thinking about it, that may only have been said in relation to Victim of Love...
    He wasn't just talking about one song. He was talking about all albums from OOTN onwards. From what I could work out it was HIS decision. He says 'I sang less... that was intentional. We had Don Henley'. And quite frankly to hear him say that breaks my heart. I console myself with the thought that the songs he DID sing, shall we say, were in my opinion the best tracks on each of those albums, including NKIT, which is my favourite Eagles song.

I think Luna's argument was not about the order of the songs or that TLR should not have been the final song, but that Side 2 seems incomplete (please correct me if I have this wrong). For whatever reason, I tend to agree. It is very hard to say why. I think another song between VOL & PMIAR, or between PMIAR & TALA, with Glenn singing, would have made it more complete. But we have to bear in mind running time back in those days was 40 minutes.

Right; that is what I meant. I would go so far as to say I've got an odd opinion of the album. lol. But then again that's just me in general.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    My personal opinion is that, at the time, Glenn truly believed having Don as the voice of the band was the best move for the Eagles. He probably wasn't overjoyed about it, but at the same time, he "took one for the team". However, in retrospect, I think they all realize now that one of the band's strengths is that all of the members can sing lead. Obviously, this is just my guess based on the fact that there was a more even distribution on LROOE.

And I guess I'm old-school too. I like listening to albums from start to finish.

I agree. I don't think Glenn relished the thought of stepping back and giving Don more leads, but at the time he truly believed it was the best thing for the Eagles as a group.... so he put aside his pride, gave Don the lion's share of the vocals, and the rest is history.

Regarding listening to a whole album... I'm afraid I rarely do that now, except for these anniversary weeks where I make a point to do it. Otherwise, it's iPod playlists and MP3 shuffle. While I understand why some prefer listening in order, I like the variety and the fact that you never know what's coming up next. Plus, I never have to sit through a song I'm less than impressed with - if I don't like it, it doesn't make the iPod.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

I thought Hotel California was perfect just as it was put out. It didn't need any changes. Love the album.

Stuck on the Border

About the voices....My father is a "casual" fan of the band. He loves the songs he knows, but if you play a song like "Take the devil" to him, he hasn't heard it before. He does know some lesser known ones like "Hollywood waltz", but he never puts an Eagles album on and listens to it. He said to me a little while ago - I think it was when we were watching the new documentary together - that Glenn Frey's voice defines "Eagles". Glenn's voice (Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, New Kid In Town, Lyin' Eyes...) is the first thing that comes to his mind when he thinks of Eagles. Glenn's voice has always been my favorite sound in the band, so we never argue about that. It's not that my father doesn't like Don's voice. It's just that Glenn's voice is what really makes it Eagles for him.
    Last edited by chaim; 12-12-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    About the voices....My father is a "casual" fan of the band. He loves the songs he knows, but if you play a song like "Take the devil" to him, he hasn't heard it before. He does know some lesser known ones like "Hollywood waltz", but he never puts an Eagles album on and listens to it. He said to me a little while ago - I think it was when we were watching the new documentary together - that Glenn Frey's voice defines "Eagles". Glenn's voice (Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, New Kid In Town, Lyin' Eyes...) is the first thing that comes to his mind when he thinks of Eagles. Glenn's voice has always been my favorite sound in the band, so we never argue about that. It's not that my father doesn't like Don's voice. It's just that Glenn's voice is what really makes it Eagles for him.
    It isn't often that people say that. He should talk to me.

I really admire how Glenn stepped aside for Don, I think it was really smart and benefited the album, I agree the album is perfect as it is. It's possible that if Don hadn't sung as many songs that the album wouldn't have done as good. The album where he sings the most songs is the one that sold the most and shot them to superstars, coincidence?
    ~Sara

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    It's possible that if Don hadn't sung as many songs that the album wouldn't have done as good. The album where he sings the most songs is the one that sold the most and shot them to superstars, coincidence?
    I atribute it to the fact that they were really coming into their own at that point and all creative cylinders were firing. Everyone was at the top of their game, every one of them, and it showed in record sales. And you know, that opinion and $1 will buy you a Diet Coke.

Stuck on the Border

I'd put forward the argument that it was the Greatest Hits album that turned them into superstars and was a big reason why Hotel California sold so many.

On the earlier albums, Don Henley's voice was my favourite but on HC it's a bit too much of a good thing and I'm missing the variety of the earlier albums.

Border Troubadour

I like both Don H's and Glenn's vocals equally, but I think they are each suited to differing styles (note this is all very, very, very broadly speaking and there are exceptions!) - Glenn pulls off the more 'romantic' songs like PEF, Lyin' Eyes, NKIT etc really well and I think his softer, almost more delicate voice fits perfectly. Don's is I think more edgier, rougher almost, so he pulls off the hard-rocking likes of Witchy Woman, OTB and LITFL better. Of course, if you bear in mind Out of Control, Already Gone, BOML and Hollywood Waltz this all goes out of the window... It's hard to explain!