Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Well – I'll make a couple of other observations as we wrap up Hotel California celebration week. For me personally, I believe Hotel California is their best album from start to finish. As others have mentioned, the only flaw to me is that Glenn should have had at least one more lead vocal so I guess I can appreciate how that could make it seem incomplete for some folks. However, I think every song that is on the album is incredible and they work together so effectively to form this concept album. But, as much as I love the song Try and Love Again, there is no way that I think it is better than Hotel California or Life In the Fast Lane. Any one is free to disagree with me about this, but I think my opinion probably aligns closer to the mainstream opinion about the song. None of us can say for sure, but I’m betting that even if the song had been released as a single, it would never have reached the legendary status’ of Hotel California, Life In the Fast Lane, or New Kid In Town.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I definitely believe it is one of Randy's best songs overall; I was actually surprised it didn't become more of a "deep cut" type of song like "Victim Of Love" did over the years, at least on commercial radio. I don't believe it would have become iconic like "Take It To The Limit" did for him, but I could see it having longevity on AOR radio at least.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Border Troubadour

The other point I'll make with regard to HC and vocals is I wish we could hear Felder's vocal take for Victim of Love before they re-recorded it. Granted Visions isn't exactly mind-blowing but I think if all five members could have had at least one song on it it would have been totally complete for me, in the same way Eagles, Desperado, OOTN and LROOE are. To be a five-piece rock band with all five equally capable of vocals (though some were better than others) is something rather special and something I wish they had shown off a bit more at their peak. I can also get why Felder got quite upset when Henley redid the vocals on VOL.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    The other point I'll make with regard to HC and vocals is I wish we could hear Felder's vocal take for Victim of Love before they re-recorded it. Granted Visions isn't exactly mind-blowing but I think if all five members could have had at least one song on it it would have been totally complete for me, in the same way Eagles, Desperado, OOTN and LROOE are. To be a five-piece rock band with all five equally capable of vocals (though some were better than others) is something rather special and something I wish they had shown off a bit more at their peak. I can also get why Felder got quite upset when Henley redid the vocals on VOL.
    Felder did not have the vocal ability to sing the song as Henley pointed out in HOTE. They tried to let him do it but it didn't work. Henley then says 'it would be like me asking to play lead guitar on HC'. Frey was even more direct. He says 'Felder wasn't a singer'. I will leave it there.

I would imagine if Don and J.D. wrote the vocal melody in Don's register that Felder wouldn't have been able to do it, it's definitely a higher register than Felder can sing. If it had been in Joe's register, for example, he might have managed it.

I wanted to add that I like what Marc Eliot wrote about "Try and Love Again" in To The Limit:
    His minor-key mourning of the end of one life while looking toward another with the hope of getting beyond, if not over, the disappointment and disillusionment of love lost is gorgeously rendered. Accompanied by Glenn Frey's superb lead guitar, the song is full of classic American rock heartbreak. In many ways, it is the sleeper gem of the album.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Stuck on the Border

I feel I should point out that the songwriting credit for VOL is Felder/Souther/Henley/Frey.

Found this article on the cover shot of Hotel California. Pretty interesting

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/Dec...l#.Uq5JnfRDuh0

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Felder did not have the vocal ability to sing the song as Henley pointed out in HOTE. They tried to let him do it but it didn't work. Henley then says 'it would be like me asking to play lead guitar on HC'. Frey was even more direct. He says 'Felder wasn't a singer'. I will leave it there.
    I've always thought that Glenn's comment there was so petty. From what I understand, Felder tours and sings lead on lots of songs, and releases solo albums on which he sings, and people go to his shows and seem to enjoy them...it seems like he is a "singer" to me. I'm glad he didn't let Glenn's impression of him shame him into not singing. Maybe he gained more confidence in his singing after he was out of the band. He may have been the weakest of the Eagles singers, but that's a pretty tall order. I certainly don't think they were required to let him sing lead on anything, but there's a difference between saying Felder's performance on that song wasn't up to band standards, and saying Felder wasn't a singer.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I've always thought that Glenn's comment there was so petty. From what I understand, Felder tours and sings lead on lots of songs, and releases solo albums on which he sings, and people go to his shows and seem to enjoy them...it seems like he is a "singer" to me. I'm glad he didn't let Glenn's impression of him shame him into not singing. Maybe he gained more confidence in his singing after he was out of the band. He may have been the weakest of the Eagles singers, but that's a pretty tall order. I certainly don't think they were required to let him sing lead on anything, but there's a difference between saying Felder's performance on that song wasn't up to band standards, and saying Felder wasn't a singer.
    That's what I thought, he must be doing something right! OK compared to Henley and Randy he wasn't amazing, but from what I've seen of his solo work he is far, far away from not being a singer...

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Maybe back in the 70s he truly wasn't a singer, just a guitar player who wanted to sing, and he has since honed that skill...