Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Default Re: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Phew...I thought you would berate me for making the suggestion!
    LOL...oh no MC...I like the idea of hearing the guys sing each other's songs...I think it would be cool to hear...but I know some people would have a big problem with the idea!! lol...It will never happen...but to me..it would be amazing!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    Certainly; appreciation of talent is a subjective undertaking. Someone can possess talent which is universally or objectively definable, but in terms of what is best/worst, good/bad all depends on one's orientation to said subject. I say this because I get into it with guys on a regular basis in the eternal debate regarding Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin (aka Classic Yes vs. YesWest).

Wasn't sure if you were addressing this to me? That's precisely why I made the comment I did, because of the involvement of all four in the writing and arranging of the song.
    You wrote something about 'when Don & J.D. wrote the vocal melody'. You didn't include Glenn, that's all.

Glenn is as good a singer as Don Henley.

Ah okay; it's because in all the accounts I have read/heard of the song's development, Glenn did not participate in that particular part of it. It wasn't to imply he wasn't involved at all, because of course he was.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Stuck on the Border

It seems very strange to me that Glenn, the Lone Arranger, would have had no role in writing a song's vocal melody.

What part of it did he write, then?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Glenn is as good a singer as Don Henley.
    Let's not get carried away here. Frey sings some of my favorite songs ever but even he thought Helney was better. ("I sang less and less. It was intentional. We had Don Henley.")

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by randymeisnerrocks View Post
    Let's not get carried away here. Frey sings some of my favorite songs ever but even he thought Helney was better. ("I sang less and less. It was intentional. We had Don Henley.")
    And I have previously stated my opinion on that comment, and that is where I will leave it, except I suppose my previous post should have come with the apparently now mandatory words 'in my opinion'.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It seems very strange to me that Glenn, the Lone Arranger, would have had no role in writing a song's vocal melody.

What part of it did he write, then?
    The rest of the music; as Felder came up with the riff and his solo but Glenn created the transitions and the structure of the song as a whole as they were playing it during the sessions (since the backing track was recorded with all of them together), in keeping with his role as The Lone Arranger. But on the other hand, it's probable that he arranged the harmonies, since he often did that. To clarify, I was referring to Don's vocal only in my original comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
    As far as Glyn Johns, I really enjoyed what he had to say in the doc. I thought he was quite funny. Maybe the Eagles couldn't stand working with him, but the feeling was mutual.
    Yeah it's clear that what Don and Glenn wanted was someone to carry out their vision rather than someone to guide them to it; it's two different styles of working, neither one is better than the other necessarily. But I've always chuckled at some of the stories about those sessions, and it's funny to me that Glyn is wearing the Good Guy hat in the Desperado photo shoot.
    Last edited by luna65; 12-16-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Border Troubadour

Come on guys, all this discussion about whether Don H. or Glenn is the better vocalist, I think we all know the best voice the Eagles ever had was Bernie Leadon

(To be fair to Bernie though, I think My Man is one of the best songs the Eagles ever did, as it Bitter Creek)

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

I will take Henley over Frey any day of the week.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Come on guys, all this discussion about whether Don H. or Glenn is the better vocalist, I think we all know the best voice the Eagles ever had was Bernie Leadon

(To be fair to Bernie though, I think My Man is one of the best songs the Eagles ever did, as it Bitter Creek)
    I do love My Man and Bitter Creek. Bernie has a very nice voice.