Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Happy birthday to this classic album! In my opinion it is the best Eagles album (although Desperado comes pretty close too).

To celebrate I'm just listening to Hotel California itself now.

Border Troubadour

Brilliant album. Happy anniversary
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Celebrate HC!!
    Love it!!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE GREAT HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Love Hotel California!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

I'll repeat pretty much what I say every year - this is my favorite album of all time. Every single freakin' song is absolutely incredible, IMHO. For me personally, as overplayed as some of the songs may be for some, I just never tire of it and every song still resonates to this very day. A truly timeless and relevant masterpiece!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I agree with drramer
    This is my favorite Album
    I just love it

Stuck on the Border

If there's a better place to post this, please let me know. It's part of an interview with JD Souther where he talks about the writing of New Kid in Town. Don Henley alays says that JD started the song and that fits with JD's account. He also talks a bit about The Sad Cafe in the interview.
    JD: I can. It's okay though because when "New Kid In Town" came out, people asked me for two years after that if it was about Bruce Springsteen. Of course, it's not, it's just about older guys in general losing their jobs to the kids that are coming up behind us. I actually started that song sitting in a Mexican restaurant, which is why it sounds the way it does on this new album. It began as a much more "Tex-Mex" sounding piece of music. I had the chorus in my head for about a year, but I didn't know what to do with it. Where could I go with the story? It was like I knew what I meant but I couldn't fill in all of the details. So, I played it for all my boys and Don and Glenn just said, "Yeah, man. That's the one. Let's go to work on it." So, we made this story and, again, it was sort of a call and response kind of collaboration with each other. It was very competitive, but still very supportive of each other. We wanted the message to get across and be taken seriously. This was a song that we wanted to last 50 years not five weeks, you know?
    MR: Yeah, and it's yet another Eagles song that is definitely most memorable.
    JD: It seems like it. I'll tell you something, the list of songs that are on this album, with the exception of "Little Victories"--which is actually the theme of the album--the rest of the songs are pretty much the ones that are most requested. But "New Kid In Town" was a great piece that was the result of my collaboration with two great writers, Don Henley and Glenn Frey. But that song never would have been fleshed out to the dimensions it has without those two guys. We all made each other better writers. In my opinion, working with those two guys gave me the confidence to be more of a singer as well.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r..._b_866590.html

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Very interesting interview. I don't ever remember hearing about the speculation of NKIT being about Bruce. And JD also says that after Jackson moved out of the downstairs apartment in Echo Park that he and Glenn occupied them separately - hadn't ever heard that either. Also, thought it was funny that he refers to Longbranch Pennywhistle as 'the world's first acid acoustic duo'. reading these little tidbits - makes it worth reading the entire thing.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I had heard the Springsteen claim. A similar claim is made about the eagle who flies out of the night in Solsbury Hill. Gabriel had been to a Springsteen gig not long before so surely the eagle must be Springsteen. The deification of Springsteen is something I have never understood.