Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Well, I am late posting this but better late than never. I remember hearing that Joe had joined the band and was shocked. I was also surprised Bernie had quit but, I remember reading/hearing back than that he was not happy going more rock. One of the best moves they made - it sent them over the top to become the biggest American R & R band in history. So, here's to you Joe(and Glenn for hiring him). May you rock on many more years to come.

Having just joined about a month ago I just found this thread. I too wondered why Joe would join the Eagles. He had a real up and coming solo career going. Also why would the Eagles want him. Think about it now, he played with on the same card with the Eagles many times. He's appeared in their encore shows including when they would put him in a stage crate and roll him out on the stage. Listen to the crowd roar when he posed out and started RMW. They Eagles were looking for a rock star and he was there.
    The Eagles were also thinking of adding an organ to their songs and Joe could play one, as well as keyboard. You see him playing acoustic guitar with them, especially 12 string, but I don't think I've ever seen Don play acoustic except the opening intro to HC on the one tour. It really gave them some diversity with guitar they didn't have before. Joe brought in a lot of fans that came to see him. Henley didn't like Joe being all over the stage so he told Joe if he didn't stay put he's glue hie shoes to the stage. LOL. Also Joe had more show experience than all of the Eagles. He's opened for Cream and the Who and toured with the Who in Europe. Sometimes I wondered if that was a problem for Don, Joe knew what was going on when it came to shows. He was playing in the James gang before Glenn and Don got together in LA,
    Joe was tired of being solo and was ready to join a band. He just want to play and will step back and let someone else play lead, you still see that today, with the Eagles and in his solo act. He's a band member. He understands music and harmony. He and Don taught each other a few things while playing guitar together.
    Of course Glenn helped Joe with his singing. Really taught him how breath and project his voice. He's a much better singer since joining the Eagles. Plus like all of them he was free to pursue his solo career as long as it didn't interfere with the Eagles work. Over all I think it was one of the best moves for both him and the Eagles. You still hear people in the crowd calling is name.

Don't forget it was a tough time personaly for Joe. His daughter Emma passed away, his marriage couldn't survive that loss, and both Irving and Bill Szymczyk were concerned for his well being. Joe has spoken of this in past interviews. I posted one on here somewhere...anyways, when Bernie quit, it kind of all fell into place, Joe wanting to be in a band to not be in charge and such, and Irving and Bill's worries of his well being, the band wanting a more rock sound, well, the rest was history...crazy how things fall into place.

Listening to Joe speak at the Ohio AAA meeting video, it was sad to hear him talk about Emma. How he got the phone call and how he had to make the decision to pull the plug by his self. Today there is a child who has Emma's corneas and one with her kidney.
    After listen to that video, to those who say he's a Buddhist, he's not. He did meet some Buddhist Monks who taught him how to meditate but he is Christen. He married Lucy's mother in a Catholic Church. Listening to it he talks a lot about God. He really is a good speaker I wish there was video to see but given it was an AAA meeting there is only audio.

It’s heartbreaking, Scamp. I cannot fathom the pain he felt/feels. Have you seen the video from his talk in New Zealand regarding addictions? Very emotional.

Yes I saw that one. He gets very emotional when speaking and I think that is what makes him so good when giving those types of talks. Have you listen to the Ohio one yet? I think it is one of his best. He really laid it all on the line. You rarely hear him talk about Emma, I think he still hurts. Also this was the first I time I really heard him talk about his rehab. Would like to have seen a video of the event but it was an AAA meting.
    They say he is really in demand to speak at AAA meetings, not just because of who he is but he's so open about it. He also can be very funny when he needs to and serious when needs too.

I haven’t yet. Thanks for posting though. Maybe this weekend. He has touched many lives in more ways then he’ll ever know.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    It’s heartbreaking, Scamp. I cannot fathom the pain he felt/feels. Have you seen the video from his talk in New Zealand regarding addictions? Very emotional.
    I was reading a Joe interview the other day, just found it looking around. It was what you see in most of his interviews. I believe it was a 2016 interview. He talked about Emma's accident, nothing different than he normal does until the end he said "One kid got her corneas and another got a kidney and I got to live with the decision to shut the machine off." That's the first I've ever heard him say the living with the decision part.
    It was heartbreaking to read that. Not only losing your child but haunted by the decision.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - I remember reading where he said something to that effect before - may have been the same interview. Very sad!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy 48th anniversary of Joe joining the Eagles. He has brought so much to the band along with Felder. I’m so glad he was asked to join the Eagles.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley