Thread: Timmy at the Troub-He's no Rube! 12/17/09

Default Timmy at the Troub-He's no Rube! 12/17/09

Timmy rocked the Troub on Thursday night and he had people dancing and singing from the get-go. He literally packed the house to the rafters where I hit my head hanging Expando posters -taking one for the team. Same set list no surprise there. A few new stories though about the Troub and what a big part it played in his life at the beginning of his musical career. And, I got early access so I was able to avoid the long GA line which they made wait at the end of the block for some crazy reason. Dana Tanas was only two doors down. Quite a magical night.

No pixs but I did get to meet most of the band including Timmy's guitar tech, Bobby who hunted down some masking tape for me. Hank introduced himself to me (He's a really nice guy.) and I also met his wife who helped me pass out promo cards and hang posters in the VIP section-before the show started and that's when I clunked my head. I didn't feel so bad as the club manager,Michael, told me he did the same thing earlier in the day. I also talked to his drummer (can't remember his name) and Keb'Mo' who were hanging out at the bar right before Jack Tempchin (who was awesome) came on. Keb'Mo' is one tall dude. But everyone is when your 5'2". He and Van Dyke Parks were the guest musicians.

The Troub is very small-sort of like the Roxy. There was at least one celeb there that I know of, Johnny (Secret Agent Man) Rivers. The Troub's owner told me they were delaying opening the doors, so that they could bring him through without having him wade through the GA crowd. I didn't see him because I was hanging posters but I'm sure he wasn't the only celeb there. They had a special VIP room above the club floor with their own viewing window and it looked packed whenever I looked up there.

Luckily the stage was elevated (unlike the Roxy) so I didn't have to worry about being at the stage to see. I didn't want Timmy's manager, Jeff, to think I was a crazy stalker who was given early access so I could slap up a few posters and then grab the best spot in the house. But it sure was nice to by-pass the GA line I will admit to that. So, I sat at the bar (where I had a perfect line of sight) with a couple of rock 'n rollers who claimed to know Hank, (Timmy's lead guitar player.)

People say a lot of things and they may or may not have known him but they were nice guys and very cute so who cared if they were the real deal. It was fun trading rock stories with them. I had a band in college about the same time they were getting started in LA-similar roots, similar stories just different coasts. And, did I mention they were cute? And, my age. Did I mention that? I tend to attract younger men and that can be a big problem. I'm no cougar. In fact I find that term abhorrent. Ugh!

I get a few days of rest and then it's on to the Belly-Up in northern San Diego county on Dec. 21st. Last show so I hope to have some good stories to tell. Everyone will be more relaxed and in a party mood especially that close to XMAS.

This has all been one surreal experience for me and I have Cyndie (and Nancy for maintaining such an open fan-friendly board) to thank otherwise I would have never thought to e-mail LHRs and ask them if there was anything I could do to help out at the four Cali shows I had tickets for. Unbelievable. I feel a bit like Cinderella.

Stay Tuned!
    Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGal

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Re: Timmy at the Troub-He's no Rube! 12/17/09

I'm so happy you are getting to these shows, swapping stories and have such wonderful expierences. I'd be lying if I didn't say I am a little jealous. I'd love to be able to see TBS a few more times!

Thanks for spreading the Timothy love. Hopefully, these shows have brought in some record sales.

Enjoy the last show on the 21st. Can wait to hear more!

That all sounds so exciting...how cool to be part of the in-crowd at the Troubador!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

CL - I've not been able to respond to all of your threads, but it looks like you are having some really excellent adventures on Tim's California tour. Good for you - hope you have enjoyed every minute of it!

And you are right about how special it is being at the Troubadour. I remember very well how elated I felt the night that Soda, PLS, and I were there. It is an indescribable feeling being in that very small club where so much rock and roll history was made. Okay - so while it's true that I didn't get my wish for the reenactment of Glenn walking up to Don with a beer to strike up a conversation, it was very special nonetheless.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

What an exciting night. Wish I could have been there. Thanks for the review and have fun in San Diego!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

CL, sounds like you had another great night! Thanks for keeping us all up to date on Timmy and have another fun night tonight!

I'm so
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm so
    Me too!

CL, Thanks for your review!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)