Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Van Morrison

Default Re: Van Morrison

Bringing this thread back. I've been getting into some of his music lately. I was never a big fan, I couldn't stand Brown Eyed Girl (although I've had to play it more times than I could count).

But once I discovered Wild Night, Into The Mystic, etc I really have got a new appreciation for him. Into The Mystic is in my relaxation playlist (check the off topic area for my thread about that) and is so mellowing and Wild Night has a great beat to it and an uptempo feel. In no way sounding similar, it reminds me of Elton John's "Levon". Milder tempo verses but a fun singalong chrous that are more upbeat.

Stuck on the Border

They are both great songs; particulaly Mystic which is my favourite song by him bar none. I do tend to prefer him doing Celtic inspired slow songs rather than uptempo but I am glad you like Wild Night. You might want to have a listen to the title track of Too Long In Exile where he namechecks some other famous Irishmen who've 'been on the mainland too long'. I would be interested to know if there are any other tracks you like.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I really love Into the Mystic and Wild Night too. Other than Brown-eyed Girl, which I like, I don't know any others.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

It's hard to know what to recommend but see what I wrote on the previous page. There are three Greatest Hits albums which are worth hearing. The most accessible album is Moondance. Irish Heartbeat is the one to get for the Celtic stuff. Poetic Champions Compose has a really nice selection of songs.

Just listened to "Exile" - really good. I'm definitely getting more into his music than I ever have in the post. I'll check out the Moondance album.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Just listened to "Exile" - really good. I'm definitely getting more into his music than I ever have in the post. I'll check out the Moondance album.
    I'm so glad you liked it! Georgie Fame's organ & backing vocals - just superb.

Also check out Cleaning Windows which is a wonderful song about early days in Belfast (while 'blowing saxophone on the weekend/in that Down joint') from the Beautiful Vision album.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I saw something on FB this morning but didn't have time to read it and when I went back to look for it, couldn't remember who had posted it and couldn't find it. It was something regarding a 300 page book that Van was putting out of the lyrics to his songs? Anyone hear anything about it? I'd be interested.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

It's called Lit Up Inside.

http://vanmorrison.com/news.aspx?id=100963

This is a review by the Irish News:

http://vanmorrison.com/news.aspx?id=100976

This goes into some detail about the many joys to be found in some of these lyrics:

http://vanmorrison.com/news.aspx?id=100991

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks FP. I knew you'd know. I was going to message you on FB but couldn't. The review you linked was very positive. I've put it on my Amazon wishlist (I was told not to buy everything before Christmas). Thanks again.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I have to laugh because I just heard Brown Eyed Girl. I always thought the line was "gunned down the old man with a transistor radio". It's "going down to the old mine with a transistor radio". Van tends to slur his words in this one.

The second one now makes sense! lol