Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Hall Of Fame Inductees

Stuck on the Border

Default 2010 Hall Of Fame Inductees

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2....htm?site=news

Genesis for Koala and the Hollies for Willie.

I wonder if there will be a special one off performance by Abba.

Maybe it will finally be Dire Straits' turn next year because they were formed in 1977, so they are eligible.

Default Re: 2010 Hall Of Fame Inductees

Interesting! I'm surprised Genesis wasn't already in there.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Genesis for Koala
    Yeah, I just read it, great news!
    I think it was time that Genesis finally be inducted into the Hall Of Fame.
    That ABBA will perform, I can not imagine!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Oh my goodness---I hadn't heard this yet!! What great news!! But isn't it surprising that The Hollies haven't been in there for years?

To be honest-I get upset every year when they announce the new inductees because it seems there are several bands that should of been there for YEARS and still haven't been inducted. The Hollies have been around for about a century now right? And Abba & Genesis seem to have deserved it long ago in my humble opinion!

A couple more that really really really tick me off (and not just because I am a huge fan of these bands) are Sweet (gold & sliver albums and 13 singles that topped the charts above 20 in Great Britain, 20 in Germany & dozens that topped the charts above 20 in about a dozen other countries) and The Cars (2 6x platinum, 2 4x platinum, 1 2x platinum, 1 1x platinum, 3 gold, 1 silver albums & 8 singles -including 3 #1's- topping the charts in the US in the top 20 Rock charts and 6 singles topping the charts in the Us in the top 20 Pop charts). They are both obviously worthy!!!

This could be a whole other thread about who decides who is inducted. I read a story years ago about it and it wasn't pretty.

Enough of my diatribe ..... Sorry!

I'd put money on The Hollies being there and performing!! How cool will that be? Love you Tony!!!!

Congrats to all the new inductees.

ETA--I knew there was another band I've always thought deserved it more than many but couldn't think of it earlier. Just hit me--RUSH---where in the world are they. And even tho I've never liked them, KISS should be there, no denying it.

Also why is it called Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame when you induct people like Madonna, Run DMC or even Abba? Why not just Music Hall Of Fame? Just thinking here.
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 01-05-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

A lot of it has to do with Rolling Stone magazine. They do all the promotion of it. Jann Wenner is the chairman of the committee. If he doesn't like the acts they won't get in, is my impression. I can't see them rhapsodising for pages over this year's inductees - not really 'hip' by RS standards. They will give all their attention to the Stooges.

I know how you feel about Sweet, Willie, (I feel that way about Slade) but I really think that if an act has not made a significant impact in the United States they probably will never make the Hall of Fame. As for Rush, they espouse the doctrine of 'individualism' as opposed to the 'communal' myth that RS claims is the abiding theme of rock music.

As far as it being called 'rock & roll' it's embracing all post 1950s popular music and Abba were fairly definitive there in producing some very high class popular songs, even if they weren't 'rock' (I wouldn't really call the Hollies 'rock' either).

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

It's new to me that ABBA is Rock'n Roll. And I'm p***** that KISS didn't make it.

Stuck on the Border

Well, as I said above, I think the term 'rock 'n' roll' here is meant to cover most popular music since the 50s. The black artists who are in the Hall like Aretha, Stevie etc are R&B or soul rather than 'rock'. As far as I am concerned Abba deserve this as much as anyone else.

As for Kiss I must disagree. What musical legacy did they leave? They had a couple of big singalong hits but they were primarily known for their makeup and costumes. (Apologies to Kiss fans - I like Rock'n'Roll All Nite and I Was Made For Loving You as much as anyone but they are not really in the top echelon of memorable songs).

The fact is not every act who ever made it big can be included or the thing becomes cheapened.

Sorry, FP, But Kiss does belong in the hall. Just MY opinion.

Stuck on the Border

Yes, EL. And the above was MY opinion.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

And my opinion is the same as yours FP! Take away the makeup and high jinx and I really don't see much talent but I know MANY others disagree. Unlike you, the only song I can honestly say that I like is Beth and I don't mind hearing Detroit Rock City but really couldn't care less if I ever hear it.
    He sings it high, he plays it low