Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Favorite songs Glenn has covered

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Favorite songs Glenn has covered

Austin - Glenn covered those songs at the House of Blues Haiti Benefit in February 2010 that he did for his son, Deacon's, school production company. I think Deacon actually sang lead on Reelin' In the Years with Glenn backing him up. I'm reposting the awesome setlist that I posted in the thread for the show, but I'm not aware of any video/audio for those songs. Soda had some video for a few songs such as Werewolves of London that you can download from GFO or maybe even still find on You Tube.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Wait, what?! He covered those?! I love those songs! Any video or audio of him doing either or both of those songs? I'm a big Steely Dan fan and I love RITY and Jet Airliner rocks too.

I can think of several I'd like to hear him sing/play. Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty, Honky Tonk Women by the Stones, Keep Your Hands To Yourself by the Georgia Satellites, Sunspot Baby by Bob Seger, Takin' Care Of Business by BTO, etc.
    Sunspot Baby & Takin' Care Of Business, Austin?! Those are interesting choices! As for Honky Tonk Women, which is one of my Top 20 favourite songs, the mind absolutey boggles. I am still recovering from Werewolves Of London. I think the new album will be mainly ballads, though, apart from Route 66.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I think the new album will be mainly ballads, though, apart from Route 66.
    Gotta disagree with you here, FP. Glenn has always been one to vary the style and tempo of songs on both Eagles and solo albums. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see, but just because he may be doing a "standards" album doesn't necessarily mean he won't include some uptempo standards.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Well, yes. I hope I spoke too soon. The truth is I don't have a clue what songs are likely to be included apart from the ones we saw & the title track, and that's making the anticipation even more intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Gotta disagree with you here, FP. Glenn has always been one to vary the style and tempo of songs on both Eagles and solo albums. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see, but just because he may be doing a "standards" album doesn't necessarily mean he won't include some uptempo standards.
    I tend to agree with you there, Dreamer. I hope you're right! Not that I don't love Glenn singing ballads. He's so versatile I want to hear some of both.

Well, yes. I hope I spoke too soon. The truth is I don't have a clue what songs are likely to be included apart from the ones we saw & the title track, and that's making the anticipation even more intriguing.
    Those are my thoughts too, FP! Even though I would love to know what the other songs are, I really don't want to know until I hear the album.

Stuck on the Border

Sunspot Baby & Takin' Care Of Business, Austin?! Those are interesting choices! As for Honky Tonk Women, which is one of my Top 20 favourite songs, the mind absolutey boggles. I am still recovering from Werewolves Of London. I think the new album will be mainly ballads, though, apart from Route 66.
    I think Glenn sounds great on what I call shuffle songs. Sunspot Baby and Takin' Care of Business and Keep Your Hands To Yourself are in the same kind of vain as Some Kind Of Wonderful and I Hear You Knockin'. Even most versions of Route 66 are done as shuffles. As far as Honky Tonk Women, I think he could redo it in more of a country voice different than Jagger's. You wouldnt believe how many country bands cover that and sing it with a country voice.

I love his Werewolves of London cover. My fav by far.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I think Glenn sounds great on what I call shuffle songs. Sunspot Baby and Takin' Care of Business and Keep Your Hands To Yourself are in the same kind of vain as Some Kind Of Wonderful and I Hear You Knockin'. Even most versions of Route 66 are done as shuffles. As far as Honky Tonk Women, I think he could redo it in more of a country voice different than Jagger's. You wouldnt believe how many country bands cover that and sing it with a country voice.

I love his Werewolves of London cover. My fav by far.
    Which would be like the Stones' own alternative version of it, Country Honk from Let It Bleed, which just doesn't have the swagger & kick that Honky Tonk Women itself has.

I was just watching the Eagles playing "In the City" on YouTube from HFO and with the lil "Daytripper" nod at the end I started wondering...and I could easily see Glenn singing that song.

Stuck on the Border

Well, he's done I Saw Her Standing There. He could easily do Day Tripper or even Ticket To Ride.