Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irving Azoff News (Eagles-Related)

Default Irving Azoff News (Eagles-Related)

One of Bob Lefsetz's recent online columns talked about Guns N Roses and other artists' ongoing battles to keep their new work from leaking to the internet prior to release. We all know Irving Azoff reads Lefsetz--he has commented on his columns before--and so Irving emailed this response to Lefsetz:

-------------------------------------
    "You are missing the points on leaks. Once the album is delivered and in the pipeline the artist doesn't freak out. When it's a leak of a work in progress it's like photographing one of them in the nude that doesn't want to do that... the GNR leaks were poor quality unmixed and unfinished."
    The old days of the act being in control and holding back are done.
    Henley wants perfection. That's an old paradigm, that keeps him locked up. Today's acts are open, they're part of the fan base...
    We're imperfect every day, and so are the acts."

------------------------------------------

In my opinion, Bob is completely right. No one loves Don more than I do, but his pursuit of perfection does tend to keep him locked up. And WE are the fans that Bob is talking about there--we are the ones who are interested in everything the Eagles do--we are the ones who would love to be able to hear some of their behind-the scenes rehearsals and other unrehearsed, spontaneous material.

(Notice: I am not even going to try to comment on the "seeing photographs of them in the nude" statement. The visual that conjures up is quite enough, thank you. )

Default Re: Irving Azoff News

I agree with you DonFan!
    We are the fans indeed!

Don is you ever read this, show us some backstage stuff!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post
    In my opinion, Bob is completely right. No one loves Don more than I do, but his pursuit of perfection does tend to keep him locked up. And WE are the fans that Bob is talking about there--we are the ones who are interested in everything the Eagles do--we are the ones who would love to be able to hear some of their behind-the scenes rehearsals and other unrehearsed, spontaneous material.
    I agree totally with that DF. We would. I managed to pick up a LROOE 'Snippets' cd on eBay last week. It was a preview with snippets of 8 of their songs on it. Great to listen to as a 10 or so minute medley.

(Notice: I am not even going to try to comment on the "seeing photographs of them in the nude" statement. The visual that conjures up is quite enough, thank you. )
    Hehehe I had similar thoughts (and images) on reading that too DF!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

I have to say, I love Don. He's one of our beautiful Boys, but I know his battle for perfection has caused some annimosity among the group. On the same side, this battle for perfection has made The Eagles who they are now!

I think they are missing a huge market here by not releasing some "The Making Of.." videos for fans such as we. I love the interview at the end of farewell 1 with Glenn and Joe and it would have been nice to see a lot more of that!

As for nudity *grin* hey Im all for it!! all or partial! *grin* anything our boys want to show us! (Although I can say after seeing the Live Chat with Joe and Tim, Joe has adorable knees)

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post

As for nudity *grin* hey Im all for it!! all or partial! *grin* anything our boys want to show us! (Although I can say after seeing the Live Chat with Joe and Tim, Joe has adorable knees)
    Doesn't he? lol!

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Ya know, I should say that in the live chat Tim was also adorable and the sweetest nicest guy you'd ever want to meet! I always think and talk about Joe, but Tim is just a sweetheart!

Lefsetz just printed some responses to the GnR column, all good points:

"I don't feel it's fair that you justify leaking songs that are in progress. It would be the same as if someone took your notes or a blog you started writing and posted it before you were done. Though it might not mean the world in the end, it would still make you feel uncomfortable."

"What would you say if it was a visual artist who was half done with their latest painting? Imagine that the painting is stolen, made into posters and given away for free with the artist name on it? There was no background to the painting and the artist only used half the colors he intended to use. Now you expect the artist to understand you when you say 'sorry but you don't have control anymore'?"

"I have sat with so called 'music people' and played them unfinished music. I've said the 'imagine if this was here, or that was there'. They never get it. I've learned you just wait until its done and THEN bring them in. There are very few music people in the world that you can explain the vision of a song before its complete and they get it."

"Henley is in control of one thing. He controls his studio work and thank god he does."

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Ya know, I should say that in the live chat Tim was also adorable and the sweetest nicest guy you'd ever want to meet! I always think and talk about Joe, but Tim is just a sweetheart!
    I have to agree with that!

Lefsetz just printed some responses to the GnR column, all good points
    Thanks for posting DF!
    And indeed Thank Goodness Don controls his studio work!

I'm conflicted about this kind of thing. I certainly understand why the leakage of unfinished material upsets artists. Azoff makes many valid points.

But from a literary standpoint, if a scholar unearths an unfinished play of Shakespeare's, he's going to share it with everyone around the world - and be applauded for it. Shakespeare might not have appreciated it, but his art has reached a level beyond what he could have imagined. People hunger even for his scraps. The same is true of acts like the Eagles.

Stevie Nicks fans (including myself) have heard dozens of her unfinished demos, which have been consistently leaked through the years by someone close to her who often finds himself hard up for money. Many of them are absolutely gorgeous and, IMHO, better than some of her released material. She isn't happy that we have them, but her fans treasure them. Her demo "City of Hope" even helped me through a hard time once. I only was able to hear that song because it was leaked unfinished; Stevie never released it.

It's a difficult question, and I can see both sides. However, as a fan, I have to lean towards the side of "anything is better than nothing." If the Eagles discard a song and decide they don't want to release it, and it gets leaked to the public - yes, I'm going to download it and listen to it.

As far as GNR fans go, many of them have stopped believing Chinese Democracy will ever truly be finished, and they're just taking what they can get.

P.S. I always find Lefsetz's interactions with the Eagles' management and press agent to be odd. For some reason, they always feel like a performance to me.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten