Bob Lefsetz wrote a column about Irving's new deal, and after Irving called to talk to him in detail about it, Bob wrote a companion column. Here is an excerpt:

"Does Irving want to deliver music with tickets? OF COURSE! Does he insist on album-length opuses? NO! Does he believe ticket prices need to come down? ABSOLUTELY! He's not going to militate, not going to insist it be his way, but wants to sit down with all the players and come to agreements. And, if there is no consensus, he believes business can continue to function the way it always has. Not that he wants it that way.

As for Front Line... He wants to continue to sign new managers and their acts. The company is already making money, so this is not a fantasy build-out. And, he claims he is interested in breaking new artists. What about the present Ticketmaster infrastructure? Is it up to the task? Is there any dead wood? How the hell does he know, he hasn't gotten inside the building yet!

It's the irreverence that charms you. And Irving is charming. This is not a man who hates the fans. This is a man who got rid of fan clubs because it pissed consumers off. Went to the upscale package deal instead. He once told me to cruise the boards, find someone pissed that they paid $250 to get a good seat, a laminate and a chance to go backstage and meet the band. I couldn't find a complainer. People were THRILLED! Because that's what fans want, good seats and access!

And Irving wants to deliver it to them. New products sold with new technology. And he wants to have a lot of fun. He's already having fun. You remember fun, don't you? When you lived to go to the gig, felt privileged to work in this business, when music was the most happening art form, when you needed to listen to the record to know which way the wind blew? Those days are coming back. If Irving has his way.

He says it's a new Irving. Forget the past. Do I believe him? Do you believe him? We can debate that. But one thing we can't debate is Irving is the act's number one champion. No one has done more for acts than Irving Azoff.

A couple of quotes stand out immediately to me:

"Does he believe ticket prices need to come down? ABSOLUTELY!"

EAGLES ticket prices?

"He once told me to cruise the boards, find someone pissed that they paid $250 to get a good seat, a laminate and a chance to go backstage and meet the band. I couldn't find a complainer. People were THRILLED! Because that's what fans want, good seats and access!"

Backstage access to the EAGLES?

Granted, the Eagles are the "Holy Grail" of Irving's stable of performers, but come on! It seems to me that Irving has one set of rules for the Eagles and another set of rules for everyone else.