Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Ticket Prices

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Eagles Ticket Prices

I don't know how I can add anything that hasn't already been said, but that I agree with you that these ticket prices are just 'out of control'.

I'm still kicking myself that I spent over $1600 for 2 tickets in September 2008! Yes, I enjoyed every minute of it, sitting on the front row, but guilt over that still creeps in every once in a while. Not even a M & G was included with even one member! Yes, I saved up for 2 years especially for that 'experience'. But when it was actually time to buy, I hesitated, feeling that twinge of guilt over spending money that could/should go for something else. So, for me, it was once in a lifetime experience. I'll never forget it, but wish that I would have played the game like Soda does so often and comes up with very good seats. But even those tickets are too high for me now. I won't do it again. The Eagles have gotten their share of my money. As much as I love their music, I'll be going to see some other bands that I've always wanted to see next time and it may be from nosebleed if their prices are jacked up, too.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I spent $195.00, and I was still really close to the stage, in the lower level, But my dad thought they were high, but I'm like there the Eagles. I wanted to spend as much as the ppl in the front on the floor, but I'm glad I didn't.
    Oh they tell me there is a place over younder cool water running through the burning sand until we learn to love one another we will never reach the promised land. Hole In The World 2001

Brooke,

Robert A. Heinlein stated in "Time Enough For Love":

"Everything in Excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks."

While I may come off as one of the "Monks" (and I admit that I'm pretty chincy with money), I think Heinlein had something there. Life isn't JUST about necessities. There needs to be some Excess to give life some flavor. Heaven knows we get enough of the OTHER stuff!

Okay, so the sensible person evaluates the "Excess" and determines whether or not it is worth it. I see no need for anyone who pays these ticket prices to feel any sort of "Guilt" about it as long as school keeps and the hogs are slopped. You walked away from the concert with memories that you will keep with you forever. Would there have been anything else that would have left you with that kind of memory?

I have spent a LOT more on Eagles tickets than you did. I went to 15 of those freakin' concerts over 3 years earlier this century and I do not regret it one whit! Add in the cost of the travel, the food, the hotels and of course the tickets and I could have bought a very nice car. No regrets. I might still be going if they had not kicked their prices up out of my reach!

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Life isn't JUST about necessities. There needs to be some Excess to give life some flavor. Heaven knows we get enough of the OTHER stuff!

Okay, so the sensible person evaluates the "Excess" and determines whether or not it is worth it. I see no need for anyone who pays these ticket prices to feel any sort of "Guilt" about it as long as school keeps and the hogs are slopped. You walked away from the concert with memories that you will keep with you forever. Would there have been anything else that would have left you with that kind of memory?
    Well put, Mike!

Brooke, put that 'guilt' thing behind you, girl. It was something you worked for, you could afford it, and it left you with many happy memories. YOU DESERVED IT!

That's exactly why I have decided that I want to go to more shows. When I was young, I never could afford to go to concerts. But I've been responsible and worked hard most of my life, so now I can afford it (well, within reason). I am not going to mortgage the house to go to an Eagles concert, but I don't have any regrets for 'treating' myself to the ones I have been to - it has added some 'flavor' to my life.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I don't regret a single show I've been to! They were terrific experiences - great music, great performances, great friends to share it with me - it was worth it to me. The Eagles ROCK!!

However, if the price remains at $275, I'm going to have to swallow the bitter pill that many already have - that of being priced out of going to another show. It's not that I even find the price morally objectionable - as I said before, it's understandable that they charge as much as they can get - it's just not affordable for me.

If they change up the show enough so that I really want to see it, though, I'll get me a cheap seat. Hearing them from a distance is better than nothing if they've got some new surprises. I'll just bring those binoculars!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Hearing them from a distance is better than nothing if they've got some new surprises. I'll just bring those binoculars!
    WORD!

And for me, hearing them on a CD or DVD is about as close I'm going to be to one of their concerts....and that suits me just fine

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I know exactly how you feel Brooke and I spent less than that on 4 tickets combined. I still feel that way every once in awhile. I don't begrudge myself the experience, loved every minute of it and wouldn't trade either show, but still feel guilty about it. Now if all the bills had been paid OFF and had gazillion $$s sitting in the bank-I wouldn't have felt even a twinge.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Frey View Post
    I wanted to spend as much as the ppl in the front on the floor, but I'm glad I didn't.
    You know what SF--I played the Soda game for the Cincinnati concert and ended up with seats right in front of Timothy-couldn't have been better seats and were on the aisle. The people sitting right next to me had bought one of the packages and told me they spent $700.00 per seat. The only thing they got more than I did was a chicken dinner (that I would of been to excited to eat anyways) and a couple of cheap trinkets. Big Deal!! Because I held out, I only paid $40.00 over face value of a regular ticket for each of our tickets from a broker. Not to shabby and still proud of myself for being so patient. Thank you Soda for keeping me in control and sane while I waited with your encouraging words!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Thank you Soda for keeping me in control and sane while I waited with your encouraging words!
    Thank goodness it worked out or I would have felt awful! I was really sweating it myself - so happy to luck out and get a last-minute 5th row seat for face value.

Here's something interesting - we see the whole "touring is where the money is, not album sales" as a change from the past. Indeed, it's a change from the past decades, but before the phonograph and radio became popular a musician made his money almost solely from performing live and touring. Maybe this "new" trend is really just the music industry returning "back to basics" - as in 1910 basics!

"You know, 100 years is a long, long time - who knows where it goes? Got together with my friends the Eagles... did a few shows!"
    - Don Henley, "Millennium Rap" from "Funky New Year" (Live)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    5-Star VIP $1000 (okay exaggeration...$995)

That didn't even include a M&G did it?

What that does do though is make the $275 Hollywood Bowl tickets sound like a bargain!

What it makes me think though is that these "Tours" have become the prime income and the CDs that the Tours used to promote have become non consequential.

It would be interesting to see the gross from the Ticket Sales for concerts and the gross from the Music itself compared.

I do recall that in late 1976 when they started touring to promote "Hotel California", they played a few of the old hits, but the majority of the concert was taken up with tracks off of "Hotel California".

How was it with the LROE tour? Mostly old staples or was it a majority of music off of the Double CD LROE?

Don't know where I'm going with this but I can't help thinking in terms of "numbers".
    Some of us still think the high prices (according to Americans) would be far more justified if more new songs were played. A majority from LROOE? I WISH.

Well, it should be noted that U2's highest priced tickets are $250, so the Eagles aren't the only ones! Kept me from going to see U2 this year. My friend and I tried to get cheap seats but those sold out very quickly. Seems very few seats are sold at the low prices.

TBF, John Mayer's ticket prices top out at $66 if you're going by face value. Once you get into the secondary market or ticket brokers/resellers/scalpers, all bets are off. Ticket broker prices for the Eagles' Hollywood Bowl shows go up to $1420 apiece (before fees) on TicketsNow, which is in partnership with Ticketmaster.

Can we blame that on the act? It's hard to say. Obviously Azoff is working with TicketsNow and taking a percentage of their sales, some of which will go to the act. However, he claims it's all above board and no seats are held back for the brokers. He says if the tickets are going to get resold anyway for a higher price, why not have at least some of the extra resale revenue go to the act?

Found this interesting article:
    "Concert Bookers Face Sinking Economy with One Hope: 'We're an Escape for People in Tough Times'"
    With CD sales cut by more than half since 2000 as Internet file-sharing expands, it’s more essential than ever for bands to tour to generate revenue. But the big question facing local concert venues amid a declining economy in 2009 is, How many fans can afford to see them play? Chicago talent buyers are wrestling with that question as they fill in their calendars, and many are dialing down their expectations.

“There are less people going out on a regular basis for sure,” says Bruce Finkelman, who owns the Empty Bottle and books about 150 shows at nine venues citywide. “The economic situation has certainly shrunken the party pool. People just need their cash for more important reasons.”

The good news is that the concert industry really didn’t have that bad of a year in 2008 even as economic conditions worsened. Overall, revenue was up 7.8 percent to $4.2 billion, though ticket sales dropped 3 percent. The revenue was sustained by record-high ticket prices: an average of nearly $67 a ticket for the 100 top-grossing shows. Overall, ticket prices have more than doubled in the last decade.

Can the trend continue? Scott Gelman, vice president of Live Nation, the country’s biggest concert promoter, says the Midwest market continues to look strong.

“We’re an escape for people in tough economic times,” Gelman says. “The big shows will continue to sell out.”

He says ticket prices “will remain constant” and that the big acts are getting “the right ticket prices.” He has high hopes for upcoming tours by the Dead, Phish, Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles, as well as “at least two” major shows at Solder Field.

But some prominent artists have stiffed at the box office. A Neil Young concert last month, with tickets topping out at $250 plus service fees, played to a more than half-empty Allstate Arena.

“The general-admission floor for an adult artist was probably an error,” Gelman says. “A 50-year-old adult doesn’t want to stand for four hours for three bands, especially when the support acts weren’t as strong as in other markets.”

Nick Miller, vice president at Jam Productions, cautions bands and booking agents to avoid overplaying markets.

“Because bands don’t make all that much money from recorded music, their primary source of income is the road, and they need to tour more frequently,” he says. “They look at Chicago, and they plug it in every three to six months, and that’s where we will see attendance fall off.”

Miller sees the biggest impact on Baby Boomers: “If you had a 401K that just died and you are thinking about retiring in 10 years, you’re going to pull back on entertainment.”

Colleen Miller, who books shows at the Old Town School of Folk Music, saw a serious dropoff in attendance in the early autumn of 2008, but says business has perked up since then. She has become more cautious, however, in the kinds of acts she can afford to book.

“We can’t take too many chances, and that is really challenging,” she says. “I’m looking at a couple of great shows for next November of artists making their U.S. debuts, but I can’t book them because if they don’t sell we lose $5,000 each, and we can’t afford that.”

The Empty Bottle’s Finkelman agrees. “There is still a real excitement about familiar music,” he says. “Stuff that people either know about or that they deem is a sure thing. It’s like looking for comfort food in music.”

Old Town’s Miller came up with a similar analogy in explaining why enrollment for music classes is actually expected to top last’s year 6,500 attendance for the winter session.

“We’re like alcohol,” she says. “People need music, social activities, hanging out with people in their lives right now to get their minds off what’s happening in the economy.”