Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No official Wiseguy release?

Default No official Wiseguy release?

Nowadays, it seems like tons of old television shows - even obscure ones - are getting re-released on DVD. When I saw some Wiseguy episodes had been released, I eagerly awaited the "Dead Dog" Arc's release as well which featured Glenn. I was hoping for some commentary and other cool extras.

Well, strangely, they skipped over that arc and went to the next season when releasing Wiseguy episodes. I hoped it was just a delay, that they'd release that arc later...

Then I got this on Google alerts today. I don't know how authoritative it is, but the author seems knowledgeable. She says:
    "The original release [of Wiseguy on DVD] in 2003 came in 'arcs' rather than seasons, which meant each season included multiple sets, running up the bill considerably. True devotees [...] were already p'd off about the wholesale music substitutions in all the sets. Expect more of those. And don't expect Wiseguy's memorable music-industry arc with Tim Curry, Debbie Harry and Glenn Frey ever."
    It seems there is some trouble with the music licensed for the series?

ETA: Found more info and yep, it seems it's not happening. In fact, Glenn's arc is the ONLY one not getting released, and it's all because of music licensing! An additional post says:
    "A 13-disc edition that will feature 66 of the 73 episodes of the series is coming March 9th. As you might guess, the 7-episode 'Dead Dog Records' arc from season 2 will NOT be included, as apparently there is too much music featured that is integral to the storyline. As I recall, one of these songs was the Debbie Harry one, which I think was called 'Bright Side', which is featured repeatedly in key moments throughout the arc, along with numerous other background songs and lyric references. It's a shame, and we'll never know if [series creator/producer] Cannell ever seriously attempted to license the music for DVD, or if he didn't even bother to try."
    All I can do is thank God that Freypower recorded it so we could have Wiseguy pages on GFO, including video clips for each episode. Glenn did some great acting here and it would be a shame if it just disappeared into the vault, never to be seen again. So THANK YOU JULIE!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: No official Wiseguy release?

I agree about this - Julie!

I loved the Dead Dog arc - it was an entertaining series of shows and Mr. Frey and Mr. Wahl provided some fine acting and eye candy!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Oh, and if you wanna hear "Bright Side", here's a short clip:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multi...eSomething.wmv

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I don't really understand the whole "can't use the music" thing or why exactly they can't be put of YouTube and such. In this case-who would of said this can't be done on these dvds? Would it be Debbie Harry's and Glenn's record companies?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

From what I understand, it's not about refusal of permission. The producer Stephen Cannell removed ALL original or pre-recorded music from the entirety of the Wiseguy series when releasing it on DVD - not because he was refused permission to use any of it, but because he didn't want to pay the licensing fees.

This is a rare issue because most shows that use music simply pay the fees and then recoup their money through DVD sales. For whatever reason, Cannell chose not to go that route. As a result, he replaced all the music with cheap filler. Since doing that with the Dead Dog Records arc would render the music-based plot nonsensical, they just didn't release that one at all.

Pretty lame, if you ask me. Cannell sounds like a real cheapskate. Does he really think that he will sell so few copies of his show that he'll lose money if he pays licensing fees?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Duhhh- ok I got it now. I'm just a little slow. Sorry! With you, seems kinda cheap. To bad!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Official word from Stephen J. Cannell Productions:

Q. When will the Dead Dog Records Arc of Wiseguy be released on DVD?
    A. Cannell Studios licenses music for its TV shows, but does not own the music. Due to the cost of licensing the extensive music rights for this arc for DVD, we currently do not forsee releasing this on DVD.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Bummer!

So, thanks again to Fp!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Awwww!

I was proud of the work I did on it. I was extremely proud to offer it to GFO (and I was also proud to send copies of it to anyone who wanted it).

For what it's worth, Blondie's Best Of CD The Complete Picture includes Brite Side.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thank you so much for what you have done here Julie. Its something I still have to acquire!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP