Page 156 of 301 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Poco should have made it big. They had the talent. They had a terrible manager. that is why they never made it big.
    They were invited to play Woodstock & their manager talked them out of it.
    He said, It's going to rain, nobody will show up!.....Can you imagine???That was one of many mistakes made with Poco! If they played Woodstock, they would have made it. Every act from Woodstock became HUGE.

David Geffen is also mega bucks millionaire, so he had the pull to get the Eagles off the ground. It was all fate, & luck besides the talent! Many talented people never make it big. Sad but true!

The Eagles were watching Poco, remember, Poco was started in late '68 or early 69, at least 2 years before the Eagles. Poco was also a smash hit when they opened at the Troubador, (with Jim Messina & Randy) at that time...

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

wow I didn't know that TK! that Poco Woodstock tidbit...that's awful for them!
    but that's also like how Bernie & even Randy must've felt leaving an incredibly successful band that are still so adored to this day.
    I mean I guess for some it really is just about the music and not the money or success...but it helps. Poco is still together (though not nearly in original lineup) even after all these years of not being huge.
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Tk, I didn't know all that either. Thanks!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Joni Mitchell didn't turn up at Woodstock, either, because of the rain. Did they have the same management?

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Poco should have made it big. They had the talent. They had a terrible manager. that is why they never made it big.
    They were invited to play Woodstock & their manager talked them out of it.
    He said, It's going to rain, nobody will show up!.....Can you imagine???That was one of many mistakes made with Poco! If they played Woodstock, they would have made it. Every act from Woodstock became HUGE.
    Apparently they played a school gym instead! That's what I heard. Yes, I meant to add that to my blog.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...ing-there.html

No, they didn't. If Poco had David Geffen like Joni did then they too would have been big stars.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Stuck on the Border

I believe Poco were with Geffen-Roberts at one time but went with John Hartmann when he set up his own management company. David Geffen didn't treat them right - he poached Richie Furay for the Souther-Hillman-Furay Band and caused other trouble.

Rusty Young:
    Geffen was a huge obstacle. He tried to end the band when Richie left to do Souther-Hillman-Furay. [Geffen] did everything he could to put the band to rest. He threatened our agents, he threatened a lot of people that if they did business with us, he was going to pull all of his acts and that kind of stuff.
    http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=806739

Later in that interview:
    I do see it in eras. Probably my favorite was the very beginning with Randy, Jimmy, Richie and I. That was a great time. I think the impact we had, whether people recognize it or not, that brought about the Eagles and brought about Ricky Nelson coming back into playing music, the whole genre … it really came out of those days at the Troubadour when we hit. We were great, we were really something special. Unfortunately we didn’t even make it to the first album because Richie decided to let Randy go.
    So there you are - they didn't make it big because Randy left. Randy left because he was treated as a sideman.

Hmm This sounds very familiar. The not treating right that is.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 11-22-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I believe Poco were with Geffen-Roberts at one time but went with John Hartmann when he set up his own management company. David Geffen didn't treat them right - he poached Richie Furay for the Souther-Hillman-Furay Band and caused other trouble.

So there you are - they didn't make it big because Randy left. Randy left because he was treated as a sideman.
    Yes. I understood they were in the Geffen stable for a while. But it looks like he had a tendency to play people off against each other. And maybe he thought he didn't want two groups that sounded similar and then acted against Poco.

I can't really understand why they got rid of Randy and did what they did (removing his lead vocals etc). It seems petty. Just bought Richie Furay's book so may find out soon.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...ing-there.html

Stuck on the Border

Poco were with Geffen-Roberts but not Asylum. Geffen traded them to Epic for Graham Nash when he was sorting out CSN&Y.
    It seems like Geffen really liked Jackson Browne and that liking extended to Jackson's friends.

I don't know enough about how the record business worked back then (or now for that matter) but it seems that the key difference was that from the start the Eagles sold a lot more records than Poco. This may be down to Asylum doing a better job at getting airplay than Epic. The person whose job that was very close to the Eagles (Paul Ahern shared a house with Glenn and was in London with them during the recording of Desperado).