Page 64 of 301 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

I would have included The Long Run & LWKUA, neither of which I like very much, in preference to some of those songs; not to mention Centre Of The Universe & It's Your World Now (I don't know about What Do I Do With My Heart because it's sad).

...heard from somebody that our boys were leaving for Asia today....wish I was going along...lol.....

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I debated if I should put this here or in Little Things That Remind... If it needs to be moved, I'm sure someones magic powers will do so.

I'm reading a book called Classic Rock Stories by Tim Morse. It's stories behind some of the greatest classic rock songs and how they came about. Only on page 54 and have had several mentions of Eagles and Eagles songs and Fleetwood Mac & JB also. I will do those in the appropriate threads.

Pg 32 RE: Band On The Run--Paul McCartney says, "There were a lot of musicians at the time who'd come out of ordinary suburbs in the sixties and seventies and were getting busted. Bands like the Byrds and the Eagles...the mood amongst them was one of desperadoes."

Pg 40 On The Border-Glenn Frey says: "We decided to get completely liberated on gin and tonics in order to do that little Temptations bit in the break. We had to be totally uninhibited where we didn't feel like we were going to sing the blues or anything, but like we were white, stoned, punks, drunk out of our minds. We were just gonna go out there and have a good time."

Pg 41 One Of These Nights-Don Felder says: "Genn (Frey) would go 'One of these nights, cha cha chachacha cha cha chachacha,' and that's it, no chord changes. Then I sat down and played bass on it and dubbed the bass part to it, and it was just me and Henley and Glenn sitting around and jamming. It's just being around, listening to ideas, criticizing ideas, and just working together."

Also received a message from a friend regarding a book called Sing My Way Home by Keith & Ken Zimmerman regarding a mention of Steuart on page 200....

"Rodney Crowell says: We showed up for this shitty gig at some ugly looking club in San Antonio when I said to my friend(guitarist)Steuart Smith, "Whoa, this is gonna be brutal tonight. Let's go grab some food and share a fine bottle of wine."

We found this nice Italian restaurant and halfway through the 2nd bottle of wine, Steuart looks over at me and says, "You know, I could die tomorrow and that would be okay with me."

I looked at him. "Pardon? Come again?"

"No, really," Steuart said, "I love my wife; I adore my daughter. But I could check out tomorrow and it would be okay with me. I'm pretty sure I've seen and done all there is to see and do."

I flew out to California the next day and I kept thinking about what Steuart had said. He was earthbound. That word kept turning over in my head, so I turned it into a song. I hooked up with Steuart a little while later. He told me the Eagles had called him and hired him away for a shitload of money. I told him, "Aren't you glad you stuck around?" It was an odd place for a song to come from."

I will add more when I run across them in my book.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Cool, Willie! Thanks for posting those. Very interesting, especially the anecdote about Steuart. Not quite sure how to interpret Paul's comment.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFanatic View Post
    This isn't exactly Eagles in the press, but... I thought it was kinda cool! Itunes made Valentine playlists, and they made one for the Eagles!

First of all, I had meant to comment on this list of Valentine's Eagles songs, but I forgot to do it at the time it was posted. In all honesty, I wouldn't want any of those songs sung to me on Valentine's Day. Although, some of them, obviously, have gorgeous melodies, their lyrics and meanings aren't very romantic at all to me (well, with the exception of the line ... "I want to sleep with you in the desert tonight with a billion stars all around".)

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Pg 40 On The Border-Glenn Frey says: "We decided to get completely liberated on gin and tonics in order to do that little Temptations bit in the break. We had to be totally uninhibited where we didn't feel like we were going to sing the blues or anything, but like we were white, stoned, punks, drunk out of our minds. We were just gonna go out there and have a good time."
    You gotta love how they got their inspiration back in the day. Man, if I had only known that's all it took to become a millionaire rock star!

And thank goodness Steuart decided to stick around a bit longer!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    First of all, I had meant to comment on this list of Valentine's Eagles songs, but I forgot to do it at the time it was posted. In all honesty, I wouldn't want any of those songs sung to me on Valentine's Day. Although, some of them, obviously, have gorgeous melodies, their lyrics and meanings aren't very romantic at all to me (well, with the exception of the line ... "I want to sleep with you in the desert tonight with a billion stars all around".)
    Dreamer, I had the same thoughts when I read that before. You're right, the Eagles do have beautiful melodies to their songs & a lot of them are about love. But the lyrics usually deal with love gone wrong or bad relationships. They tend to take a very cynical look at romance, especially in the 70s.

I tried to think of a "happy love song". The only one I could come up with was "Afternoon Delite" <LOL>. No broken hearts there! Not YET anyway!

I think it must be a lot easier to describe feelings of darkness than feelings of light. We more convincingly express our thoughts of hurt than those of accumulated happiness.

Well, here's the hit of the One Hit Wonder "Starland Vocal Band". Actually, they did have a couple of albums, the first one charted and the second one failed. The won a couple of Grammys too!

Afternoon Delight
    The Starland Vocal Band

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
    gonna grab some afternoon delight.
    My motto's always been; when it's right, it's right.
    Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night.
    When everything's a little clearer in the light of day.
    And you know the night is always gonna be there any way.

Sky rockets in flight. Afternoon delight. Afternoon delight.

Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite
    looking forward to a little afternoon delight.
    Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ingite
    and the thought of rubbin' you is getting so exciting.

Started out this morning feeling so polite
    I always though a fish could not be caught who wouldn't bite
    But you've got some bait a waitin' and I think I might try nibbling
    a little afternoon delight.

Please be waiting for me baby when I come around.
    We could make a lot of lovin' 'for the sun goes down.

MikeA

I always liked that song!

Verna and I liked it too. There for a while, we had a hot tub....ughhh, anyway, we liked the song!

MikeA

I bought that on i-tunes last year after hearing it on the radio. Always liked that song. Now it's on my i-pod. Usually only play it via i-tunes though.
    Melanie