Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Mayer

Default John Mayer

I'm watching his Storytellers on VH1 right now and I'm impressed. I knew his hits prior to this but not his lesser known stuff. I've always known he was talented and loved his sense of humor as well (his show, his writing, his Tweets, his guest spots). He seems like an interesting guy with interesting music.

What do you guys think of him?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBIxScJ5rlY[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: John Mayer

He's not that impressive to me. I just don't think he's that good. He's cute though

I actually really love his music, especially a lot of his lesser known songs from his previous albums. I haven't heard much from the new album yet, other than the single "Heartbreak Warfare", which I like. I saw him in concert for the Continuum tour a few years back.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Yes, I seem to remember you saying you really liked him, and Maleah and tbs fanatic like him as well, if I recall correctly. What's your fave Mayer song?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

JM is good. A genre that I dearly love (Blues) but he branches out a bit. I can't take his vocals....I can't understand him no matter how hard I try. But man, I LOVE his guitar!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I actually think he is a very talented guitarist and for the most part, I like his vocals. I like his music from when he first started out more than the recent stuff. My favorite songs of his is Waiting On The World To Change & Your Body Is A Wonderland.

BUT-did anyone read this months Rolling Stone article about him? He's just a little weird! It makes for an interesting read if you get the chance.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I read it and I thought the same thing, TBF.

I keep thinking I'm going to listen to some of his music, but as of yet haven't done it. I do like Your Body Is A Wonderland and Waiting On The World also.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well Brooke - I'm the same way. Every now and then, I hear something by him and think to myself I need to listen to some more of his work. Unfortunately, I've never gotten around to doing it, but I really like what I've heard of his voice - it's very unique.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

LOVE John Mayer! In fact, I'm going to see him live in April and I can't wait! He can definently come off a little weird in interviews, lol, but I honestly think a lot of it is to see what kind of reaction he can get. I get the impression from him that he doesn't take himself seriously at ALL and so he plays with people a lot to see if he can get them going. His youtube channel is hilarious, as are his tweets!

My favorite John Mayer song? I gotta say that recently it's been Heartbreak Warfare! LOVE that song so much. Love the melody, bass line, guitar, everything. Soda when he recorded his Battle Studies album, he said he wanted to evoke the feeling of Fleetwood Mac and Don Henley cd's in the 70's. I also love "Gravity," especially the live version on his "Where The Light Is" 2 disc set. In addition, I love Vultures, 83, and Waiting on the World to Change.

Now you have my interest piqued about this Rolling Stone article...I'll have to make an effort to find it and read it. Not quite sure what I'm in for...

Anyway, I saw JM on The Tonight Show (the Jay Leno incarnation ) a number of years back, in what I'm guessing was his first TV appearance. He was young and innocent (presumably!), and sang what would become his first hit single, No Such Thing, from his first studio album Room for Squares. I was completely entranced by his performance, and this song still is one of my very faves by him. And Mike, he is a great lyricist as well, as evidenced by some of my other favorites from this album---including My Stupid Mouth, 83, and Why Georgia (where he talks about his "quarter-life crisis," which always tickles my funny bone!) Other great songs from this album are Back to You and Great Indoors...wow, I guess it's all good!!

I also really love his next two studio albums, Heavier Things and Continuum. He showcases a lot of variation in his musical style between them, from pop to rock to blues. Here's where I differ from the majority of you above. I don't care as much for the radio-overplayed hits you've mentioned. On HT, give me Split Screen Sadness, Bigger than my Body, or Home Life. From Continuum, I'd rather hear Stop this Train, Dreaming with a Broken Heart, or Gravity. I think if you'd give the albums a listen in their entirety (reading the lyrics when necessary!), you'd discover a musician with broad-ranging talent and style. And I also think he is pretty easy on the eyes, although he does make some weird faces when he sings. I guess he is just "getting into" the vocals.

I haven't yet heard the newest album, nor even the last (live) album...but I'm sure I'd like them. And I agree with Maleah. I do think he is playing with the public at times, simply because he can.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...