Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Songs that Make You Cry

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Default Re: Songs that Make You Cry

Getting personal for a moment, Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer," one of my favourites of his, reminds me of the sweetest young girl I knew for two days in the Summer of 2012. I was at an Adult Education facility for my GED tests when I met her. We started talking and hit it off immediately, and it seemed we could, at the very least, become fast friends.

Of course, circumstance and fate intervened, and members of her family picked her up right as I was about to initiate some sort of exchange of contact information in the hopes of staying in touch. I never saw or spoke to her again, and never again did I feel the same kind of hopefulness for my future that I did on those two days.

A couple of years after I met her, I discovered her Facebook profile and saw the lecherous men with whom she was associating, one of whom she was married to. It was all so sad and dismaying to see her in such an obviously sorry state of affairs. I would try to send her a friend request later in the year, but by this point she'd long ago forgotten about me.

I always felt that, when all the users, abusers, and Sunshine Patriots("Boys of Summer," if you will) were gone, I would still adore and care about her. To this day, when I think about her, I always have the fondest and warmest feelings. I know full well it is all for naught, though.

That one more than occasionally stirs me up. Also think of her when I hear "Rio" by Duran Duran, though that one brings happier memories to the forefront.

Other emotionally stirring songs, to varying degrees, are "Desperado," "I Wish You Peace," "My Man,"(reminds me of my late friend) and "The Sad Cafe" by the Eagles, "The Crystal Ship" and "Wishful Sinful" by the Doors, "Darling, Be Home Soon" by the Lovin' Spoonful, “Gimme Shelter” by the Rolling Stones, “All You Need is Love” by the Beatles, “Imagine” by John Lennon, “Time For Me to Fly” by REO Speedwagon(especially with Gary Richrath's passing last year), and "Your Wildest Dreams" by the Moody Blues(the last song ever played on my favourite radio station from youth).
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

There are a couple songs that do, but I'm having trouble remembering them all at the moment.

The one that comes to mind immediately is one that's been mentioned, but only in the context of when I first heard it. It's "Angel", from the ASPCA ads. I couldn't watch that commercial and it ruined the song for me as I can't escape that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Desperado

As soon as that ASPCA commercial and Sarah McLachlan's voice comes on, the channel changes.

Now I have a whole new bunch of songs to check out. I am sure I have heard quite a few of them, just not putting the song title to the song I have in my head.

Going to hold off for a few days though as I have a wake and funeral to attend over the next couple of days and I won't need any help in the tears department

Little Texas

"what might have been"

but it is personal-the reason I cry

Just thought of some more that have a way of getting me going, emotionally speaking...

"Wild Horses"-The Rolling Stones
    "The Long and Winding Road"-The Beatles
    "Tuesday's Gone"-Lynyrd Skynyrd
    "Melissa"-The Allman Brothers Band
    "Wasted Time"-The Eagles
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

These songs make/made me tear up because of my dad.

So Far Away-Carole King (I now know that this song is about a couple who are separated by distance, but as 11 year old, I didn't. After my dad died, this song always made me think of him because of the lyrics "It would be so fine to see your face at my door, Doesn't help to know you're just time away")

Wake Me Up When September Ends- Green Day (Billie Joe Armstrong wrote this song about his dad's passing when Billie was 10, so I can relate to it a whole lot)

Tears in Heaven- Eric Clapton (this is one of those songs that not only does the background of it get to you, but if you've lost a close loved one, the lyrics will, too)

Cats in the Cradle-Harry Chapin
    American Pie- Don Mclean
    Stairway to Heaven- Zeppelin

The above 3 songs were some my dad's favorites.I think of him when I hear them, and depending upon my mood, I have shed some tears.

I'll post others that get to me because of different reasons latet
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Wake Me Up When September Ends- Green Day (Billie Joe Armstrong wrote this song about his dad's passing when Billie was 10, so I can relate to it a whole lot)
    AG, this is also one of my tearjerker songs, but not for the same reason.
    It served as my post-Katrina anthem. (Left NOLA a few days after the storm, and did not return until early October.) 😢
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Wind Beneath My Wings. That was my parent's favorite song they danced to it on their 60th wedding anniversary. Mom had it sung during dad's funeral. I had to battle with the very same church to have it sung for mom's funeral. Different priest by then & he thought the song was too "racy" but I got it sung. I cry every time I hear it.

Bette Midler's other big hit "From a Distance" also stirs me up sometimes.
    All carrot, no stick.

Border Desperado

It never used to, but do to his death as well as listening to a man who was in a film about Prince explain his interpretation of it, Purple Rain makes me weep constantly. TITTL does too for some reason these days and I don't remember ever thinking it was a sad song. Maybe with all Randy has been through I am reading too much into it and should just chillax and enjoy one of my favorite Eagle songs
    Last edited by VillageGirl; 04-27-2016 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to add word