Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles in San Jose, CA May 1, 2010

Default Re: Eagles in San Jose, CA May 1, 2010

Thanks, Cathy. I was stressing yesterday, but I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't ruin today too by worrying unduly. You're absolutely right - I can't change anything. One of my friends (she's the kind I'd quite like to be prime minister - straight-talking and knowledgeable!) has reassured me that things should be fine by Thursday and that the airlines are probably offering the chance for people to cancel and rebook so that they have less passengers to deal with this week once the airspace opens again. That makes sense.

In short, of course I am concerned, but I feel much better today. I can't do anything but keep an eye on things and stay positive. I still have quite a few days in which the situation can change.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hang in there, Troub! One way or another, I'm sure everything is gonna work out for ya!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Keep on keeping the faith, Troub! I am sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. I am sure you will get over here and make it to the concerts!

Here's the latest on Lou's flight concerns.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...ns-worse_N.htm
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Thanks for linking to that article, PM. That's probably the most optimistic assessment of the situation that I have read yet. The test flights results are definitely 'a glimmer of hope', as I heard on the news earlier.

I am feeling much more positive today. My thinking now is that, even if I can't get the flight on Thursday, I still have what should be plenty of time to get to California in time for the shows. An internal flight from Dallas to San Francisco only takes a couple of hours (that's if I am forced to miss out on the first bit of the drive from OK to San Jose.) American Airlines will refund or allow me to rebook my flight free of charge. I can always extend my stay.

So, fingers crossed for Thursday, but, if it is a no-go, I still have options.

Lou, when were you and Jess planning on leaving Oklahoma for you drive to CA?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I think Jess mentioned the 27th.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Thanks for linking to that article, PM. That's probably the most optimistic assessment of the situation that I have read yet. The test flights results are definitely 'a glimmer of hope', as I heard on the news earlier.

I am feeling much more positive today. My thinking now is that, even if I can't get the flight on Thursday, I still have what should be plenty of time to get to California in time for the shows. An internal flight from Dallas to San Francisco only takes a couple of hours (that's if I am forced to miss out on the first bit of the drive from OK to San Jose.) American Airlines will refund or allow me to rebook my flight free of charge. I can always extend my stay.

So, fingers crossed for Thursday, but, if it is a no-go, I still have options.
    You DO Lou, and of all the flights effected those going west will have the greatest chance of clearing first once air space reopens. Your trip may not go EXACTLY as planned but I have no doubt that if you have to swim across the Atlantic you WILL make both shows.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Well, the progression of this situation has been almost impossible to predict. Things weren't looking very good last night, but I have just watched the lunchtime news and it appears that things could be on the up! The volcanic activity has been decreasing dramatically over the morning, and now it is basically dormant - no new ash is being produced. Lord Adonis, our Secretary of State for Transport, said that, if the situation stays the same, we should be able to get some flights out tomorrow. A volcanologist said "if it stays this way, the volcanic ash crisis will be over." Scientists think that, despite the fact there are still some tremors underground, the worst is over. Even if the volcano continues to erupt, they think it will produce lava, rather than the copious amounts of ash we have seen. Lava obviously wouldn't affect air travel - it's the fact that it exploded under a glacier that has caused the ash and affected air travel.

In short, of course there is a possibility that things could change and we could be back to square one... but all indications are that we are over the worst. Keep on hoping, and thanks again for all your positive thoughts!

Some more promising news... NATS has now said that Scotland, Ireland, and the north of England will open their airspace from 7am tomorrow (BST). The south of England (where I am) and Wales should open later in the day. Obviously volcanoes can be unpredictable and there is still some concern that the situation could change, but right now, it's looking good. Even if my flight on Thursday is delayed - I don't care! As long as the airspace is open and I can get to the States before the middle of next week, I will be happy.