Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking in On the Border

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Talking in On the Border

Since I've been snowed in the house all week, I decided I needed something to entertain myself so each day I have been listening to an Eagles album. On Monday, 'Eagles' was the featured album, yesterday it was 'Desperado', and today it has been 'On the Border'. When I listened to the title track, it reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask here for a long time. As long as The Border has been around, I don't ever remember this coming up before. Anyway, what I want to know is who speaks the line "you in some trouble, boy"? For a long time, I thought it was Felder because of the deep voice, but then I remembered that Felder only played on one or two tracks on this album. So then, I decided it must be Bernie. Does everyone agree that it's Bernie?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Talking in On the Border

I've wondered that too Dreamer! Its very cute. I love that line.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'm probably way off but for some reason I always thought it was Don H. The reason I say that is because when Long Run came out and the part of King Of Hollywood, when he says "we gonna take care of you, darlin'" reminded me of the line "you in some trouble boy".

You've got me thinking and now I really want to know who it is!
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 02-10-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've always thought it was Don Henley. But ?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I dunno, it could be, but it doesn't sound like Don at all to me. I'll go ahead and throw another curve into the discussion - I believe the guys are trading off lines in the bridge as follows ...

Randy sings the line "Never mind your name."

Bernie sings the line "Never mind your face."

Glenn sings the lines "And we wanna know whose wing are you under?"

The voice that speaks "you in some trouble boy" sounds like the same voice that sings "Never mind your face" to me, so that's another reason I think it is Bernie.

I think it's Don. He can do those funky voices (see Garden of Allah) and the pronunciation sounds Texan to me.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I thought the same thing! I had to have three friends tell me it is really Don Henley, I thought it was felder Anyway, I love his voice when he changes it, Fast Company is a good one too. Yes very sexy voice
    Oh they tell me there is a place over younder cool water running through the burning sand until we learn to love one another we will never reach the promised land. Hole In The World 2001

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I dunno, it could be, but it doesn't sound like Don at all to me. I'll go ahead and throw another curve into the discussion - I believe the guys are trading off lines in the bridge as follows ...

Randy sings the line "Never mind your name."

Bernie sings the line "Never mind your face."

Glenn sings the lines "And we wanna know whose wing are you under?"

The voice that speaks "you in some trouble boy" sounds like the same voice that sings "Never mind your face" to me, so that's another reason I think it is Bernie.
    I thought for years it could have been Bill Szymczyk (I don't know why), but given that Henley is singing lead and the others all have their own lines, I don't see why Bernie would have been left out, and I agree with Dreamer that both voices in the lines she quotes sound similar and are probably Bernie.

I can see why people might think it's Henley because it sounds vaguely 'Southern' but remember Bernie grew up in the South too, even if he was born in Minnesota.

At the end when Henley says 'say goodnight Dick' does anyone think it sounds like Glenn may be saying it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Frey View Post
    I thought the same thing! I had to have three friends tell me it is really Don Henley, I thought it was felder Anyway, I love his voice when he changes it, Fast Company is a good one too. Yes very sexy voice
    Well, I'm not sure who your friends are, SF, but with all due respect, how would they know any more about this than any of us do?

Again - I could be wrong, but it just sounds like a totally different voice than Don's to me. Even when he changes his voice in other songs like Garden of Allah or King of Hollywood, I can still detect that it is him. As far as accents, anyone can do those. One other reason that I think it's someone else (Bernie) is because the lyrics themselves suggest that it's someone other than the narrator speaking - they say "Out of nowhere, somebody cuts in and says, you in some trouble boy".

I always thought it was Glenn