Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Talking in On the Border

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Talking in On the Border

Well, let's talk about our opinions of the song On The Border.

I like the whole Watergate era paranoia feel of it - it sums up the era (particularly as a non-American) but I can see that some may roll their eyes at it. I know that Soda doesn't like the 'foolin' with my baby on the telephone' line and I'm not a fan of that either. Most of it though, I enjoy listening to, whether it's 'fake-funk' or not. (If they didn't like the sound why Funky New Year and - indeed - Frail Grasp On The Big Picture and Fast Company)? In some respects it has aged slightly better than its successor, the slick and soulful One Of These Nights. I like the fact that they all have vocal parts (although see this entire discussion) and I particularly like Glenn's part (no surprise there).

In my opinion it is a far superior song to anything on the OOTN album except for that album's Big Three, but then OOTN is my least favourite Eagles album while OTB is my third favourite.

I've always thought it was Don who sang "You in some trouble boy.."

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Well, let's talk about our opinions of the song On The Border.

I like the whole Watergate era paranoia feel of it - it sums up the era (particularly as a non-American) but I can see that some may roll their eyes at it. I know that Soda doesn't like the 'foolin' with my baby on the telephone' line and I'm not a fan of that either. Most of it though, I enjoy listening to, whether it's 'fake-funk' or not. (If they didn't like the sound why Funky New Year and - indeed - Frail Grasp On The Big Picture and Fast Company)? In some respects it has aged slightly better than its successor, the slick and soulful One Of These Nights. I like the fact that they all have vocal parts (although see this entire discussion) and I particularly like Glenn's part (no surprise there).

In my opinion it is a far superior song to anything on the OOTN album except for that album's Big Three, but then OOTN is my least favourite Eagles album while OTB is my third favourite.
    this is a great post! I like the song a lot too and I always loved the 'break down'.... your point about fast company and funky new year are well taken... I don't think those songs are very good at all and are way more embarrassing... but, I also think that since DH was behind those two... he would like them better.

on OOTN, beyond 'the big three' I absolutely love Hollywood Walts, Too Many Hands and the nod to BB King---> After the thrill is gone.

I'd have to say that I love the first 4 records the best by a long ways.... but, I get what you are saying about OOTN....

As someone who remembers watergate all too well... the paranoia was well founded back then... I think now we just kind of accept it.

very cool to hear a different perspective on OOTN...
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I'm getting a kick out of the fact that Dreamer asked a fairly "simple" question on page 1 to start all this and 4 pages later, I don't believe we are any closer to knowing.
    Good grief Willie - I thought we had reached a conscensus here! Seriously, though, I am also surprised how 'all over the place' we are about who sings the line. About the only thing we can seem to agree on (so far) is that it is NOT Randy!

However, after Soda's post about the album credits, and the subsequent discussion, I have changed my mind a bit. I still think it is Bernie, but I can also see where it may be Bill Szymczyk, who is probably "Coach". I'm not totally convinced though. Obviously, we'll probably never know for sure because of the vagueness of the album credits. Like everyone else so far, I also have no idea what the T.N.T.S. is that is credited to "Coach". That could very well be the key to the mystery.

As far as the song itself, I love it. I also agree that, overall, the On the Border album is stronger than One of These Nights. However, I can see bender's point that some members of the band do not share that point-of-view. Based on comments that Don H. and Glenn have made regarding both albums, they both seem to think OOTN is stronger. Also, On the Border is their only album that is not represented in their current live set list.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yeah, Glenn and Don do seem to like One of These Nights more. Glenn has said the title track is one of his favorite Eagles songs. While that album houses my all-time favorite Eagles song, "Take It to the Limit," I prefer On the Border overall. I like all of the songs on there except for "You Never Cry Like a Lover" which, IMHO, is sexist (I know not everyone agrees with that assessment). "Is It True" is OK, but not a standout. Almost all the other tracks are terrific, especially "Already Gone," "My Man," "Good Day in Hell," and "Best of My Love."

Ironically, the title track is not on my favorites list. I was born post-Nixon but I feel I can still appreciate the "paranoia" aspect, although as FP says I cringe at the "foolin' with my baby on the telephone" line. Musically, it's got some good moments, but it just doesn't appeal to me as a whole. To me, it comes off almost as a novelty song with its funny voices, conversations with "Big Brother," and the like. Of course, that's just my perspective, and certainly I understand that others might not feel the same.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Curious here.

What do you think 'foolin with my baby on the telephone' is about?

I won't make any assumptions, but since I'm from that era, I might have an insight about it (as a male of the species from that time) that may be of interest to you.

sexism with the eagles? nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, say it ain't so!

but in 'you never cry like a lover'? whaaaa? adonde? I don't see it...

I took a look at the lyrics and I'm baffled... I'm all ears...
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    Curious here.

What do you think 'foolin with my baby on the telephone' is about?
    That he's teasing her and saying some risque things to her over the phone?

but in 'you never cry like a lover'? whaaaa? adonde? I don't see it...

I took a look at the lyrics and I'm baffled... I'm all ears...
    The lyrics condemning the woman who never "cries like a lover" or "sighs when it feels real good" are typical of the sexist perspective that if the woman isn't being sexually responsive, it must be HER fault and she needs to "try a little harder" to "get loose." Well, maybe HE should try a little harder.

I've had that impression from the first time I heard the song, but I think I'm the only one on The Border who does. I do have some feminist tendencies. You're in the majority if you disagree with me.

I like the "broken-down carousel" metaphor, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'm glad Bernie asked about the line "foolin' with my baby on the telephone". I was wondering why a couple here were "down" on that line. I always thought it was a cute line. My perspective was that him and his lady were "foolin' around", teasing, etc. on the telephone and really didn't see anything the matter with that. Interesting how everyone interprets things differently.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I'm with you Willie. I didn't see the fuss over that line either.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

As far as the song goes, I can say, it's not one of my favorites at all. I don't care for the telephone line either, but mainly because I think it just sounds silly and immature. I'd perfer the song OOTN to OTB any day.