Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: West Hollywood House of Blues 2-20-10 (Benefit)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Glenn Frey in Hollywood Feb. 20 (Benefit w/ Deacon)

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Just received a couple pics of Ziggy for Katie. Soda is at LAX waiting for her flight. Says concert was awesome. A few surprises with new songs he hasn't done before and a special percussionist (no it wasn't Don-really cool tho!) that I will let one of them tell you. I'm as impatient as everyone else to see all the pics and hear the reviews. Can't wait! Hurry home safely girls!!!

Betcha its Otis!! He was a cool hand with the tambourine in Crosslake.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

sorry you are all having to wait for the scoop but Soda and Dreamer are wing their way home and I am cruising up I-5 towards San Jose.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well cruise safely Cami!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Glenn & Deacon, both look great!
    Oh they tell me there is a place over younder cool water running through the burning sand until we learn to love one another we will never reach the promised land. Hole In The World 2001

..can't wait to hear and see more............

Stuck on the Border

Sigh......

DIFFERENT songs..... oh God....

The mics are different (!)

Love that shirt - a bit out of character....

Deacon's been taught to close the eyes.....

Talking Re: Glenn Frey in Hollywood Feb. 20 (Benefit w/ Deacon)

Thanks for the pix. Can't wait to read your reviews ladies. Love hearing stories from the road. So much fun to ride along with you.

Deacon is really starting to look like Glenn-everyone is soo right. Loved the fannel shirt on Glenn.

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGal

Oh my gosh! I love that photo! They both look so great. Like everyone else, I am itching to hear more.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Well I stopped for a break at Starbuck's because I was on that exciting part of central California I-5 that even the Eagles at full volume can't keep me from zoning out on...

I know everyone wants details and I will try to give you a few though I am sure Soda and Dreamer will have lots more to add.

We got to The House of Blues early and were the first ones there. By the time we had run the gamut we ended up actually being about 3rd in the door which wasn't a problem. We staked out our places at the front of the stage - primo spots just left of center.

When the show finally got stated the first act was a group of 12 - 13 year old boys. Although they seemed a bit nervous they did a great job and were very cute. Then Deacon and his friends that make up Head Thief productions introduced themselves and spoke about their chosen charity this year and their decision to include Haiti relief. Up next was Animal Husbandry. Their musical style was interesting and their performance was actually pretty good and apparently much better than the samples on their MySpace page. The third group was called (NC)2 and included the only girl that was part of any of the acts. There is some definite talent and real potential among these young musicians. Unfortunately with all three of these groups the sound system emphasized the instrumentals to the point where the vocals were almost impossible to hear. It may have been because of our position close to the stage but it was hard to get a full appreciation. However I was just happy to see young people with a love of music and performance get up on stage.

During this whole time Glenn's youngest son Otis had various jobs helping with the set up for each group. He is such an adorable little boy and looks just like his big brother.

The show must have been running late because they cut (NC)2 short to prep for the next act - Ziggy Marley. His music was a definite change of pace. He did four songs with an accompanist. He is definitely his father's son and I especially enjoyed his version of Redemption Song which is a favorite Bob Marley tune of mine.

Finally it was Glenn and company's turn. Unfortunately I cannot remember each song they played because much to all of our surprise they played for at least an hour and did several songs that were unexpected and that Glenn had never done in a solo or charity show. Glenn took the lead on several and Deacon had the lead on a few while one of Deacon's friends from (NC)2 (Nick) who was accompanying them on guitar took the lead on one song. Dreamer has a set list so she will have to be the one to give the full list. They did open with “Change the World” and then sang “Tequila Sunrise”. Next was the first "new" song “Jet Airliner” (which I believe is the song that Glenn and Deacon are singing in the picture I posted). I cannot remember the order of the remaining songs (nor can I remember all of them) but I will say I had hoped all evening when I saw the keyboard at the front stage right that Glenn would be singing “You Belong to the City” and I was not disappointed! However my favorite song of the night was introduced by Glenn saying "When I am singing in the car I always know all the words to this song however this evening this is not necessarily the case" and then proceeding to sing a terrific version of “Werewolves of London”! It was so unexpected and so much fun! They also did “Funk 49” (with Deacon taking the lead) and “Dirty Laundry”. We even got an encore of “All Shook Up” which was a rousing way to end the evening.

I have to say this show was better than I could have ever hoped for. Being so close to the performers (especially my favorite one ) and getting such a fantastic performance made this a very special experience. I am so glad I made this trip south and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Oh and by the way, yes, the "special percussionist" was indeed the youngest Frey… that little guy is too cute and he did a great job!
    Last edited by Wildthyme; 02-24-2010 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks Cami! I love the song choices so far. Soda and I texted back and forth a bit while she was waiting at LAX and she gave me some spoilers, some of which Cami shared. But I will let them all tell their own stories. Soda said she wouldn't be getting home until 1:00 A.M. West Lafayette time. I'm sure she's going to be a pretty tired girl.

Speaking of tired, be safe traveling Cami. Make as many stops as you need to. We'll be right here...
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.