Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: West Hollywood House of Blues 2-20-10 (Benefit)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Glenn Frey in Hollywood Feb. 20 (Benefit w/ Deacon)

Awwwww Cami! Sounds fantastic! The Frey family must be sooooo talented!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Thanks for the review. It's so nice to hear that is was even better than you expected. Sounds like tons of fun.

Safe traveling ladies!

Stuck on the Border

Werewolves Of London?!!! How utterly cool! Jet Airliner? All Shook Up?!!

I am unfamiliar with anything called Change The World. How I hope/wish there could be audio of this.

Interesting that Deacon does lead vocals on songs which are NOT sung by Glenn. That's fair enough, I guess.

I am assuming they mean this Change The World...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHPWoDsyE6M[/ame]
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I have a three-hour layover at Denver, and to my delight I discovered that they have free wifi!!! So I'm about to get on the board for a while!

I'll probably add more later, but here's my review for now:

Quick note: You guys are going to be excited to hear that I took a lot of video - shaky, yes, but we diehards don't care about that, right? I'll post them ASAP.

Now, the show. As we waited for Glenn and the gang to emerge, someone came out and spread lyrics sheets and a set list on the stage (the lyrics were for "I Hear You Knockin'"). I stood on my tiptoes to peer over at it, and I was thrilled to see it contained several songs, not the four that I expected. In fact, NONE of the songs were what I expected. They didn't play "Take It Easy" or "Hotel California," and "I Hear You Knockin'" was performed by Nick Shapiro rather than Deacon.

But I'm getting ahead of myself! When Glenn and Deacon came out, the same band from the Roxy was there - Don Was (bass), Henry Fagenson (his son, the drummer), Nick Shapiro (singer/guitarist), and Michael Thompson (piano) but also Danny Grenier, Chris Mostert, and little Otis as well! He stayed in the back rockin' the percussion, but it was cool to see him up there. The Males of the House of Frey represented... or, as Glenn referred to it, "Nepotism 'R' Us."

As the pictures show, Glenn was wearing a blue and black plaid striped shirt and he's let his hair grown out a bit. I'm crossing my fingers that he keeps this look for the Eagles shows because it takes years off of him compared to the suit/shorter hair look.

I can't remember the exact setlist order and I might leave something out, but here goes:

They started with Eric Clapton's "Change the World" with Deacon singing lead. He put a lot of heart into it and I liked the performance so much that I've ripped the audio from it (I recorded it on my camera) and I'm gonna put it on my iPod. Deacon sure has grown. I think he's taller than his daddy now. He seemed pretty mellow up there, too, unlike at the Roxy a couple years ago.

Then, they started doing "Tequila Sunrise" and I suddenly realized this wasn't gonna be the same old, same old! Man, I've missed this song from the set. Achingly vulnerable vocal. From thenceforward my mind commenced to be blown as he and Deacon did all sorts of songs I never expected!

I have to admit I didn't know the song "Jet Airliner" very well - I recognized the tune vaguely, but I couldn't name it. When they sang the chorus, I thought they were singing something like "Keep on, Carolina"! Oops! Later, when Dreamer got the setlist, I actually said "What's this song 'Jet Airliner' on here? I don't remember them playing a song called that." lol! At any rate, it had a good groove and I liked it.

Next, Glenn went over to the keyboard and my heart started beating faster. What would it be? "The One You Love"? "Some Kind of Blue"? Or.... the awesomeness that is "You Belong to the City"? And it was the latter. Glenn sang it the way I like it - no falsetto. They rocked it hard, with Deacon and Nick both doing solos, Nick going back and forth with Chris Mostert on sax. The only thing I missed: He didn't close it with "You belong.... YOOOOOU BELOOOOOONG!" I wonder if he had rehearsed it that way because Nick and Deacon both looked at him at the time as if they expected it, but maybe they were just looking for their cue to end.

The spotlight was once again on Deacon for "Reelin' in the Years." This is another song I didn't know very well, but I did recognize the title and followed the chorus enough to sing along. Like I said, Deacon seemed really mellow when singing last night and it sure worked for the song.

We all recognized that opening riff for the next song... "Funk 49!" Everybody on stage seemed to be having a blast with this one. It is irresistible. Deacon sounds different from Joe, that's for sure! I thought it rocked.

I too thought Glenn's introduction about singing along to the radio was cute - it made me think that this setlist was comprised of a lot of his favorite tunes. Although I've heard "Werewolves of London" before and recognized the tune, I once again didn't remember the name of the song or the lyrics and never did figure out that title until, once again, we saw that setlist! "Oh! That was 'Werewolves of London'! Now those lines about Soho and getting your lungs torn out make sense!" I should have known when some guy from the sidelines yelled "ZEVON!" afterwards.

When the opening chords started for "Dirty Laundry," Dreamer, Cami, and I all said something along the lines of: "Is that 'Dirty Laundry'? I can't believe they're gonna do 'Dirty Laundry'!" I figured Deacon would sing the whole thing as in the past he had done Don's vocals on Eagles songs, but Glenn sang lead on a verse, too! He sang the "crap is king" verse. Glenn, Deacon, and Nick all got to play guitar solos, which was pretty cool.

I think it was at this point where Nick got to do "I Hear You Knockin'" which was good, but it surprised me. He fudged a few lyrics as he was having to read them off of lyrics sheets on the floor, but otherwise he was good. That kid has a lot of talent - all of those kids up there did. I even liked Animal Husbandry, who were much better than I thought they'd be. I even told the lead singer of the band when I saw him on the way to the bathroom "You guys did a great job up there."

Next was "Life in the Fast Lane" - with Glenn on lead for the whole song! This was where Deacon shined the most on guitar, I think. I also think that Glenn should've sung this song on the Hotel California album in 1976 because his vocal on it has a wilder, out-of-control-but-loving-it vibe to it, which fits the couple in the song blissfully careening towards death by excess. Don's tone is more of the cynical observer, although it certainly works well and is great, as we all know! (ETA: It doesn't sound as good once I review the video, BUT I still think he could have rocked it for the album in the studio.)

Then they were off. I thought that was it, but wait, there's more! They came out to do one more song - "All Shook Up" - with Glenn on lead again. It was a lot of fun and really ended it on an "up" note.

I got video of You Belong to the City, Life in the Fast Lane, most of Werewolves of London, and snippets of most of the other songs. As I said above, I also have audio of Deacon doing "Change the World."

It was so freaking thrilling to go in there expecting to hear two or three songs and getting so much more. The best part was that these were mostly songs I'd never heard him do before, which made it even more special. SUCH a treat. SO worth the trip.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Egads Soda - you do have a long trip! Thank goodness for wi-fi!

Can't wait for the video, audio and more pics!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Awww, I am so thrilled for you! It sounds like it was truly a one-off treat. Something to treasure. I can't wait to see the pics and hear the audio.

Have a safe journey, Nancy, and thanks for taking the time to post that write-up. I loved every word. About Glenn's look... I am so into the plaid shirt/longer hair thing! He looks fantastic.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hey everyone - I'm home, but dead tired. However, I know how anxious everyone is to hear about the show, so I'll share a few things with you all now, and then probably add more later.

First of all, the entire set list in order ...

Change the World
    Tequila Sunrise
    Jet Airliner
    You Belong To the City
    Reelin' In the Years
    I Hear You Knockin'
    Funk #49
    Werewolves of London
    Dirty Laundry
    Life In the Fast Lane
    All Shook Up

Now for the band, I believe Soda forgot to mention the ‘other’ percussionist – besides Otis, Richie Mangicaro also joined them.

As Cami and Soda said, the show was AWESOME! I, too, was expecting about the same show that we saw at the Roxy, but this was very different. Although, the House of Blues is an intimate venue, it is a lot larger than the Roxy. There was a pretty big crowd at this event (probably 750 - 900 people) and Glenn was nowhere to be seen before or after the show like he was at the Roxy. There was a private event on the third floor before the show. My guess is that it was a VIP party for those that were making large donations for the cause. I suspect Irving (Azoff) was there because I overheard someone on the staff mention his name and Deacon also thanked him at the start of the show. I have a feeling that this event raised quite a large sum of money since Irving was involved. Since Glenn wasn't out with the crowd, we didn't get to speak to him. However, we did get to speak briefly to Victor (the guitar tech) who gave us guitar picks and Michael Thompson who gave me the copy of the set list. I'll scan a copy of the set list and post it when I get a chance. We also caught a glimpse of Tom Nixon from the wings of the stage.

Okay - that's all for now cause, like I said, I need to go to bed and sleep. However, this was such a special rare show that I know we'll have a lot more to tell you about. What a treat to get to see Glenn perform these songs that we've never seen before. Stay tuned!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

What I'm most impressed with, is these young kids playing all these classic songs. I really hold that near and dear to my heart.

Soda, I am so excited to hear Glenn sing LITFL. I can't even image how he sounds singing it... so I'll wait patiently until you have a chance to upload it.

I'm happy you ladies had such a fantasic time. It sounds wonderful and I'm so glad to hear all the little details. It really helps us to feel like we were there.

Rest up girls!

Thanks for the details from the show! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time! I can't wait to see the video,more pics and hear the audio !
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)