Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: West Hollywood House of Blues 2-20-10 (Benefit)

Default Re: West Hollywood House of Blues 2-20-10 (Benefit)

That's just not fair! I had this image involving ropes and mud and water. I'll bet if you put the idea to Glenn, he'd come watch!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Mike, I'm still laughing over you noticing the mic placement!

I will not fight my friends... okay, a saber dual maybe!

Soda, you didn't get me jazzed... I just saw, "glenn sang LITFL" and I thought, cool! I'm SURE, if I were there, I would have LOVED it. Everything is different live. The expierence makes it so. If it didn't, there would never be a reason to perform live.

Also, over the course of the LROOE tour, I often hear, "glenn is struggling". Honestly, most of the time "I" don't even hear it. I didn't think he was stuggling w/his voice, as I thought he sang it too slow, or played it too fast.

In any case, it's still wonderful to hear and see Glenn...always!!!

Mic Placement is pretty important. Yesterday, I was playing around with my Dynamic Mic an my acoustic amp and came up with this....It's a tribute to Glenn so I recon it's okay to play it here.

Fender Acoustasonic Jr. acoustic amp (super clean)
    Les Paul with pickups turned way down
    Realistic Optimus Dynamic mic (piece of crap)

I had to use an equalizer on the track after I recorded it to bring up the bass. The microphone lops off the low end.

I didn't dangle the mic over the front of the amp during this recording (used a boom stand with the mic about 6" from the speaker). But later, I came back and placed the mic directly on the speaker grill. It really didn't make any difference. I guess the guys know what they are doing <LOL>

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm sorry everyone is so disappointed - it's my fault for talking it up in my review and getting everyone excited about it. I was just so thrilled to hear him do something different and it did sound good to me at the time.
    And we're thrilled to see it. Thanks so much for posting it. I'm sure it did sound better in person. There were people in the audience singing along & unless it is professionally recorded the balance between the singers & the individual instruments can be off. (Not to say that you're not a pro, Soda , but you know what I mean, with mics on each instrument & levels being monitored, etc). All this distorts the sound.

That being said, I think Glenn should have sung this in a lower key. It seemed to be a bit out of his range for him to be comfortable with it, especially if he had a cold.

I don't remember reading an inordinate amount of reviews about Glenn "struggling." I'm sure he had some off nights but I went to several shows and have a lot of bootlegs from the tour and his voice is strong on them, so it's not just the fervor of being there that makes me say it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

[quote=sodascouts;98597]I don't remember reading an inordinate amount of reviews about Glenn "struggling." quote]

A good majority of the overseas show commented on how he was having a hard time at the beginning of the show, but by the end he was dead on. Also, I think a couple of people here on the boarder mentioned he was off when they saw LROOE. However, "I" don't notice it. I think he always sounds great. I'm not techy enough to notice that sort of thing, unless it's so obvious.

Really though, I'm more than happy to see any Eagle do anything! I'm such a groupie. lol

I understand, LTL. I'm a groupie too.

I made a tour page that collected everything in one place. Cami and Dreamer, if one or both of you would like to write up an official review, I'll add it/them to the page.

You can find the tour page here: http://www.glennfreyonline.com/tour/lahob2010.htm

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    And we're thrilled to see it. Thanks so much for posting it. I'm sure it did sound better in person...
    That being said, I think Glenn should have sung this in a lower key. It seemed to be a bit out of his range for him to be comfortable with it, especially if he had a cold.

Yep, at the risk of sounding like Randy Jackson, it was a little pitchy for me dawg!

I don't want anyone to feel like we're beating up on Glenn here. We're all fans. I would have been thrilled to stand at his feet and have him sing LITFL or anything else for that matter. I mean come on people - it's Glenn Frey!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Heavens, no! We would never beat up on our Glenn! I guess we are so used to such stellar performances from him that if he has one song that is not up to par we really notice it.

WE LOVE YOU GLENN .

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, Soda the tour page is great as usual. Here is set list that I got courtesy of Michael Thompson. It's not much - just a set list, but kinda cool, nonetheless, since it was his. You can see the black tape at the top where it was taped on his piano.

Now, a few thoughts about the covers ... I love how they messed up the name of Change the World. It made me feel a lot better after seeing that because I had never heard the song before. As a matter of fact, I looked at Soda when Deacon was singing it and said "Isn't this a pretty song, wonder if Glenn wrote it just for tonight?" Soda looked at me and said something like "Uh no - it's an old song." Oh well - sounded new to me! I, of course, was very familiar with Jet Airliner and Reelin' In the Years and was very pleasantly shocked when they started singing them. Guess I shouldn't have been too surprised that Glenn would play a Steely Dan song though given his pronounced fandom. I also had heard 'of' Werewolves of London, but honestly don't remember ever actually hearing the song before Saturday night. I've since listened to Warren's version on YouTube, and I think it's safe to say that I like the cover better. As soon as Glenn started singing All Shook Up, I immediately thought of the two biggest Elvis fans I know - my sister and Mrs. Frey and how delighted they would be.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016