Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Common Threads

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Common Threads

I was sorting out some old CDs for a yard sale we'll having this weekend and I found one called Common Threads: The Songs of the Eagles. All the songs are sung by various country music artists and the liner notes talk about the evolution of Country/Rock and how the proceeds of the sales from this CD will benefit the Walden Project. Has anyone else heard of this CD? Listened to it? Do we know who wrote the liner notes? It sounds a lot like Don to me, but I dont know and it doesnt say.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Common Threads

Yeah ticky, a lot of us hardcores are very familiar with the Common Threads album. It was one of the most successful albums of the year in 1993. Travis Tritt made a music video of his cover of Take It Easy, and was successful in getting the 5 former Eagles to appear in the video together for the first time since the group disbanded in 1980. The success of this album and the band's "reunion" for this video are widely credited as the main impetus for getting the band back together for the Hell Freezes Over reunion tour. Here are the downloads that Soda has on EaglesOnlineCentral of the TIE video with Tritt ...

Download .mpg (24 megs)
    Download .wmv (8 megs)

I'm not sure who wrote the liner notes - it very well could have been Don. Although you would think if it was Don that it would be noted on the album.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I bought the Common Threads CD as soon as it hit the shelves and have played it so much it's nearly worn out! In addition to all give guys appearing on the Travis Tritt track and in the subsequent video for TIE, Timothy sings background with Vince Gill on ICTYW and Steuart Smith plays electric and acoustic guitars on Trisha Yearwoods's NKIT! While all of the artists did a great job on the covers, I'll still always be partial to the original versions.
    I just need a little downtime.........

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

I was familiar with the Travis Tritt video *G* cant miss it! and obviously I was familiar with the CD.. I mean I bought it! Not that I remembered that till I found it today! I thought if Don had written the liner notes, he would have taken credit for it, but who knows. It doesnt have anyone taking credit for it as far as I can see so maybe...?? anyway, it was a fun find.

I doubt Don wrote the liner notes because I think he would be credited if he had - not because he necessarily wanted it for ego purposes, but because it would be a selling point for the CD.

The project was put together and released by Giant Records, a record company run by Irving Azoff. If he'd enlisted Don to write those liner notes, he'd have made sure everyone knew it.

I bought this CD when it came out, long before I was a hardcore Eagles fan. Now that I know how important it is historically as the album that led indirectly to the Eagles reunion, I appreciate that even more than its musicality.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I admit it, I went in to Walmart, in disguise, under the cover of darkness , even tho it was country and bought it!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I have it too, but rarely listen to it. It's just history for me. If I want to listen to Eagles songs, Eagles have to sing them. But that's just me.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I know what you mean Brooke. I started to listen to it but have never made it all the way thru. I should sell it on ebay as "like new".

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I admit it, I went in to Walmart, in disguise, under the cover of darkness , even tho it was country and bought it!
    Willie, I may have to start working on you. Jersey girl, Karen Z, swore she'd never listen to Country music. Then I sent her some CD's. She and I had a blast at a Big and Rich concert last Summer.

Good luck with that Molly! Others have tried before you with no success!!