Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Keith Urban and Dixie Chicks to open for Eagles in June!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Keith Urban and Dixie Chicks to open for Eagles in June!

I'm sorry, EF, but facts are facts, and on this tour Keith Urban is the opening act. I don't see how you can describe it any other way.

I realise I am in a minority here but not only do I fail to see why the Eagles should perform songs with the support acts, I fail to see why people want them to do this.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-26-2010 at 07:26 PM.

I don't think Michaela was claiming that Keith wasn't opening for the Eagles. In fact, she said:

Quote Originally Posted by EasyFeeling
    Usually Keith do not open for someone so I consider this as a special show.
    And I agree with Michaela that the tour is "special" in terms of the fact that something like this hasn't been done by the Eagles in recent memory, even though it's not on par with a one-time-only event.

Freypower, since at this point we all recognize Keith's status in the line-up, I think it's unnecessary to keep re-emphasizing that the Eagles are headlining.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    not only do I fail to see why the Eagles should perform songs with the support acts, I fail to see why people want them to do this.
    I as well as several other people have already stated reasons why we think it would be a good idea for the acts to perform a song or two together. You have every right to disagree, but to completely dismiss the viewpoint as incomprehensible is a bit much. You're an intelligent woman. Surely you can follow the logic of our argument even if you don't agree with our conclusion.

Oh well. I guess we'll see what happens with the tour - should be interesting!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I'm sorry if all the above was negative. That wasn't the intention.

The only reasons I saw expressed by people who want this to happen is 'it would be different' especially if they did songs they wouldn't normally do, and PM said if the Eagles came out with Urban the audience would have a 'sneak peek' at the Eagles and that the Eagles would appear 'accessible and humble'. I don't agree with those sentiments and so yes, I suppose I failed to comprehend them.

Really, if this is what people would like to see, I hope that you get your wish.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-27-2010 at 02:15 AM.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Personally, I feel different would be good. The Eagles are so predictable, it would be nice to see them mix it up in any way. I mean, come on, we get so excited it they add it once line of ASWTDID or add an encore. Hardly earth shattering changes. We all know 95 % of the songs we will hear, since they don't really change up their set list. (again, except adding deleting a song occassionally)

Now, please don't take that as complaining. Clearly people see them time and again knowing it's the same set list... but yes, tossing in another act for a song or two would be different and fun, IMO.

While KU can tour on his own and fill arena, he can't fill stadiums. Stadium shows are huge money makers. I'm sure he's more than happy to be a part of this summer tour as an opening/support act. If not, he probably wouldn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    'Accessible and humble'?

I love the Eagles as much as anyone, but neither of the above words apply to them on a collective basis.
    I agree. That's why I said it would make them appear to be. That would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

I guess I don't understand how not agreeing with something automatically makes it incomprehensible. I'm not sure how I feel about the Eagles touring with country acts, but I can understand that many people would love it.

ETA: I love the Eagles. Although I appreciate that they have been around for years and are the best American band of all time, I don't necessarily want them placed on a pedestal to make them seem like they are too good to perform with other artists.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I love the Eagles. Although I appreciate that they have been around for years and are the best American band of all time, I don't necessarily want them placed on a pedestal to make them seem like they are too good to perform with other artists.
    Exactly PM! ITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I realise I am in a minority here but not only do I fail to see why the Eagles should perform songs with the support acts, I fail to see why people want them to do this.
    FP, even though it might not be what you intended, some people may interpret such unqualified statements as an elitist attitude. I, myself, have said before that I believe the Eagles are America’s greatest band ever and that they are in an elite group with only a few other artist, and I stand by that statement. However, that does not mean that I believe that they are beyond reproach or that it would be beneath them to take the stage and share a few songs with other acts as your remarks suggest. Actually, in light of the fact that the band is prone to stick with the same set list in their shows, I would welcome them doing something different like this with open arms. Like Soda, while I'm not going to get my hopes up, I'm also not going to say it's impossible.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

OK, thanks for being so understanding, because I know I came across as very inflexible.

My objection or incomprehension is not so much to the Eagles performing with their support act - but ANYONE doing it. If anyone could give me an example of an incident where the main act has suddenly appeared on stage during the support, or vice versa then please let me know. I wasn't trying to put the Eagles on a pedestal out of reach of other acts. After all, they performed with Michelle Branch at the MS Benefit.

However, please remember their attittude at the Grammy Awards, where they insisted on closing the show and point blank refused to join in the traditional jam with the other inductees.

I've seen collaborations such as when I saw Bob Dylan with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. There were sets by each act & then they performed together. Such was the case with Elton John & Billy Joel & indeed with Don Henley and Stevie Nicks. But the main act appearing with the support? I've never heard of such a thing happening.

Well, I'm the one who suggested the Eagles come on with Keith Urban. I think mostly everybody else is thinking of the DC joining the Eagles on stage.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

http://www.theboot.com/2010/04/02/ke...s-eagles-tour/

"To grow grow up listening to all the Eagles records ... to be a huge Don Henley fan, Joe Walsh fan, Glenn [Frey] and all the boys ... it's phenomenal," Keith gushes. "I'm so thrilled to play on these shows, and I wish we could do more of them!"

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

So now we have it direct from the horse's mouths, Keith Urban and The Dixie Chicks consider themselves the Eagles opening acts. We had no doubt that this was the case but it is good to hear it from them. Can hardly wait to see who does what songs. I hope that Keith gets them to do Seven Bridges Road but I don't remember what song the Eagles sang with the Chicks.